• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waves smash train windows at Dawlish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/incident-dawlish-train-carriage-smashed-3745717

A passenger has been injured on a Great Western Railways train during an incident at Dawlish.

A wave has smashed train windows, bringing services to a standstill.

On Twitter, Gill Garratt said: "Hope the people injured by the wave breaking the train window at Dawlish are okay. Two other trains stuck & our train abandoned at Newton Abbot. Well done GWR for swift organisation of replacement buses."

"Huge wave smashes to moving train and breaks window passing through Dawlish, several passengers injured.

Two trains stuck and ours is abandoned at Newton Abbot."

Gill Garratt@gillgarrattcbt

@gwr hope the people injured by the wave breaking the train window at Dawlish are okay. 2 other trains stuck & our train abandoned at Newton Abbot. Well done GWR for swift organisation of replacement buses.

12:44 PM - Jan 16, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Gill Garratt's other Tweets

Gill Garratt@gillgarrattcbt

Huge wave smashes ibto movi g train & breaks window passing thro Dawlish, several passengers injured. Two trains stuck & ours is abandoned at Newton Abbot. Oh yes spend all rhe money on HS2 why don't you? #bbcnews #gwr #hs2

12:56 PM - Jan 16, 2020

23 people are talking about this

Another passenger told Plymouth Live: "We have had to leave our train from Plymouth to Paddington at Newton Abbot.

"We have been told that a train in front of us has been damaged by sea water at Dawlish. Passengers have been injured as glass windows were broken. There are two trains stuck on the line ahead of our train.

Met Office warns of hail and thunderstorm risk for Devon and Cornwall

Met Office says severe gales and heavy rain will batter Devon and Cornwall this morning

"We are currently being bussed to Exeter."

National Rail said that replacement road transport were in place between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot.

By 2pm the line had reopened and services returned to normal by 4pm.

A GWR spokesperson said earlier: “The 1057 from Exmouth to Paignton has been damaged by sea debris. The train has moved now moved forward and the damaged carriage taken out of service.

“The 1052 Paignton to Paddington service has a train fault between Teignmouth and Dawlish. The fault which has developed on this train has yet to be investigated.”

A BTP spokesman added: "We were called today at 12pm to reports of a train window being smashed by a wave at Dawlish. One person with very minor injuries was checked out at the scene as a precaution. We understand the damage caused was a couple of smashed windows. It happened on Station Road close to the station. The line has since been reopened."

A statement on National Rail website reads: "Severe weather / tidal conditions along the Dawlish sea wall is having an adverse effect on train services. Disruption is expected until approximately 15:45.

"At present train services are unable to operate between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot.

Urgent holiday booking warning from Martin Lewis on Good Morning BritainInstagrammers are redecorating Christmas trees for Valentine's Day
"This is also affecting routes further afield at Exmouth / Paignton / Plymouth / Barnstaple.

"Rail replacement buses are in place between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot.

"Trains between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes."

Scroll down for updates as we get them

KEY EVENTS

• BTP Devon & Cornwall@BTPDevonCorn

We were called to #Dawlish station at 12pm today following reports that a wave had smashed a train's windows.

One person was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Passengers are advised to check with @nationalrailenq for travel updates.

2:16 PM - Jan 16, 2020

See BTP Devon & Cornwall's other Tweets

13:53KEY EVENT
    GWR says services now able to operate between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot once again
    Latest from GWR: “Following severe weather between Newton Abbot and Exeter St Davids all lines have now reopened. Disruption is expected until 15:45 16/01.

“Train services between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot may be delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised.
    Customer Advice:

“Stagecoach bus route 2: Newton Abbot (Sherborne Rd) - Teignmouth - Dawlish (Green) - Starcross (Station) - Exeter (Bus Station) are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Great Western Railway rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.

“Severe weather / tidal conditions along the Dawlish sea wall is having an adverse effect on train services. At present (13:15) train services are now able to operate between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot once again. The disruption was considerable and this will continue to affect the Dawlish area together with routes further afield at Exmouth / Paignton / Plymouth / Barnstaple for a while.”

13:35
    Delays of up to an hour
    National Rail says: “Journey times may be extended by up to 60 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amlag

I travelled on the 1100 St D to Paignton cl150 + 143 today and found,an hour after High tide, the waves and sea spray crashing over the line and trains was by no means exceptionally rough in my many years of traveling on this 'fragile' South Devon line.
Windows being damaged / broken does very occasionally happen due sand and shingle being conveyed in the waves.
However I wonder if the activities of Network Rail's Contractors who have been excavating, disturbing, loosening and moving around lots of beach material is now a contributory factor.

Today's 1052 Paignton/Paddington failure is at least the fourth or fifth IET failure /major service disruption incident due the effects of waves and salt water ingress on these new IETs; despite assurances from Hitachi that these new multiple unit trains could cope with waves and sea water.
Surely it can't be long before NR Operating Chiefs extend the ban, that applies to
XC Voyagers, to IETs operating between Exeter and N. Abbot when strong and gale force Southerly and SE winds coincide with times of high tides.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It may be wrong/irrelevant, but I have always thought the huge walls of windows on Pacers look more vulnerable to damage like this than with conventional stock.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It may be wrong/irrelevant, but I have always thought the huge walls of windows on Pacers look more vulnerable to damage like this than with conventional stock.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Pacer is a write off - I feel for the passengers on that train though. I'm sure it's the first time I've heard a train window or 2 be smashed.

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Not sure if it applied also to the class 143s as operated by GWR, but I seem to recall that class 142s were only fitted with single glazed triplex toughened glass as built. Even BR mk1 coaching stock from the 1950s/60s was fitted with Armourplate panes whether double or single glazed.

Class83

If they put some rock armour in the sea next to it, the line that would be fine, the waves aren't overtopping the wall, it's white water and spray.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if that Pacer is a write off - I feel for the passengers on that train though. I'm sure it's the first time I've heard a train window or 2 be smashed.

You'd be very wrong, quite an easy fix, take smashed windows off and put new ones on!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss the incident in question.

To discuss anything else, please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) or use an existing one (if there is), in the appropriate forum section please.

For all your Dawlish Avoiding Line/reopen the Okehampton route needs...
Please wade through this thread. It’s almost as deep as the seawater in that 143. ;)
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...rnative-route-between-exeter-plymouth.143927/
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...rnative-route-between-exeter-plymouth.143927/
Indeed.

And to discuss ideas for the existing route, this thread can be used: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...enclose-the-line-in-a-concrete-tunnel.198536/

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Did this only happen to a 150/Pacer combo today then? I'd heard an IET was also pulled from service due to smashed windows?

JN114

Established Member
I hope the injuries are not serious.

Just a few cuts, no passengers required hospital treatment; although when the emergency call came in in the office we did initially fear the worst.

Aictos

Established Member
Eh? How is it going to be written off? Windows get broken all the time!

Indeed, all that will happen is it goes into depot and is reglazed.

No idea on the actual process but that’s all that will happen, it won’t get written off just for one broken window.

On Moderation
Indeed, all that will happen is it goes into depot and is reglazed.

No idea on the actual process but that’s all that will happen, it won’t get written off just for one broken window.
It’s a bit more than just new glazing and it’s more than one window. It needs complete new windows, including frames, hoppers etc.

Aictos

Established Member
It’s a bit more than just new glazing and it’s more than one window. It needs complete new windows, including frames, hoppers etc.

That’s why I said I’m not sure on the actual process because while I’m aware of the reglazing, there are other aspects to pick up on which you’ve kindly shared.

My point is that I don’t believe this is a reason to withdrawn the damaged units.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Written off ? - because of some broken windows ?
Really ?

On Moderation
My point is that I don’t believe this is a reason to withdrawn the damaged units.
Ordinarily, I’d agree. But as an end of life unit, that doesn’t necessarily follow.

Aictos

Established Member
Ordinarily, I’d agree. But as an end of life unit, that doesn’t necessarily follow.

Depends on what the ROSCO thinks though, don’t it?

If they think the DMU is worth repairing then they will but if the costs of repair are too expensive then they might scrap it?

northernbelle

The hoppers can be replaced with plain glass if necessary - most glass manufacturers could provide - given the unit isn't expected to last the year in service it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I expect it will re-enter traffic after some minor repairs.

Edders23

Eh? How is it going to be written off? Windows get broken all the time!

because it is due to be retired anyway in the next 6 months ;)

seriously though I doubt the cost of repairs would be authorised unless they are desperate for stock.

That is one pacer that definitely won't be becoming a community centre

Status
Not open for further replies.