• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Way Out Large Wooden Sign - Help re' cleaning / identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mount

Would anyone be confirm if this is really a piece of railwayana or just somebodies workshop knock up ? Also would anyone be able to date this sign approximately and or give any advice on how best to clean/ sympathetic restoration it as I'm wanting to put it over a door in a house - Thanks

Attachments

• wya out sign.jpg
    wya out sign.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Here's a similar GWR one. Bizarrely these items are best left in original condition. The best thing to do would be to give it a good wash and let it dry properly. Once completely dry give it a light coat of clear furniture wax and a buff up.image.jpeg

mount

Here's a similar GWR one. Bizarrely these items are best left in original condition. The best thing to do would be to give it a good wash and let it dry properly. Once completely dry give it a light coat of clear furniture wax and a buff up.View attachment 86352
Great, thank you for the advice on the cleaning process , I'll try and get onto this tomorrow and will post further updates.

Welcome.

It looks to me rather GWR-ish.
Oh ok great news to hear

Ianigsy

It looks more Lancashire and Yorkshire to me - it's very reminiscent of the signage still in place at Hebden Bridge and the paint could be a faded LMS/LMR maroon.

It looks more Lancashire and Yorkshire to me - it's very reminiscent of the signage still in place at Hebden Bridge and the paint could be a faded LMS/LMR maroon.
This makes a good point about the colour. Simply by wetting the surface you should be able to determine if the colour is brown and therefore Great Western or maroon and in which case London Midland. It certainly looks GWR to me

Ianigsy

I've just done a Google search for images of Hebden Bridge station and the L&YR Way Out signs do have the pointing hand.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
And here's a GWR one with pointing hand from the Great Western Railwayana Auction website.
image.jpeg
Most GWR ones I've seen have cast iron lettering screwed onto the wood. Does the one pictured in the OP have cast or wooden letters?

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

This makes a good point about the colour. Simply by wetting the surface you should be able to determine if the colour is brown and therefore Great Western or maroon and in which case London Midland. It certainly looks GWR to me

Wasn't Hebden Bridge BR (NE) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.