• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML disruption 17/06/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
All lines blocked milton Keynes Central to London Euston due to damage to the overhead wires.

Any idea what kind of damage?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Could be any number of reasons, but a possible cause might have been the overhead wires sagging in the heat today, and/or then getting caught in a passing train's pantograph.

No doubt we'll find out soon enough.

Never have I been so glad I left work early in MK. Had a premonition something would happen so glad I got out a couple hours early.

GB

Established Member
Reported to be a lineside fire at Leighton Buzzard neutral section, affecting signaling cables.

londonmidland

Established Member
I feel for people stranded on trains with no power. With it being 30 or so degrees today, it won’t be pleasant at all!

alistairlees

Established Member
Am on 15.30 Euston to Glasgow which has been at a stand at Tring for 90 minutes. The aircon is working though, so 21 degrees inside. There are three trains ahead of us. The lineside fire could not be easily put out, so additional resources were required apparently. Hopefully on the go shortly...

londonmidland

Established Member
All departures from Euston currently suspended. No Avanti services to travel south of Preston because of the disruption.

gazzaa2

Should Avanti have put a 'do not travel' warning today like they would during a storm? Any extreme weather (by UK standards) can lead to this.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
All departures from Euston currently suspended. No Avanti services to travel south of Preston because of the disruption.
Is that so? If yes, why's it not possible to operate some Avanti trains between Preston and Milton Keynes?

Kite159

Veteran Member
All signalling lost in Milton Keynes area

Or even extend some trains to Rugby, calling additionally at Nuneaton/Tamworth so at least passengers could transfer to XC to Derby/Leicester for EMR forward (or put on buses from Ruby to Kettering)?

Established Member
Or even extend some trains to Rugby, calling additionally at Nuneaton/Tamworth so at least passengers could transfer to XC to Derby/Leicester for EMR forward (or put on buses from Ruby to Kettering)?
I am sure that they will Be doing what they can.
Customers are being sent on TPE to Leeds to then use LNER.
And LNER between London and Edinburgh.
Also trying to get enough coaches for the extremely large volume of customers will be hard.
Like I say, I am sure the people in the control room will be trying there damned hardest in challenging situation.

JBuchananGB

15.30 Euston to Glasgow got moving after a 3h20m wait, now approaching Warrington about 4h late.
15.43 Euston to Blackpool North is at Birmingham New Street 4h late.

David Burrows

It is wonderful to note that people still come on this forum with suggestions which include getting buses/coaches to transport probably thousands of people in response to something as catastrophic as this incident, with no warning that it was about to happen or the extent of the damage and how long the great problem was likely tocontinue for. Where do people think such buses (with drivers) are hiding, just waiting to leap forth to where they are needed and drive for hours.
Many bus companies all over the country are cancelling their regular services due to driver shortage so where does one get hold of 'instant' drivers?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yep, some big delays. I was 3hr20 late into Euston after 2hrs stood at MKC and then Emergency Working at 18mph through the affected area.

Got to Harrow and then got told to wait as no available platforms at Euston.

General mood onboard was very good considering, glad the air con was working well!

Disruption until end of day.

It is wonderful to note that people still come on this forum with suggestions which include getting buses/coaches to transport probably thousands of people in response to something as catastrophic as this incident, with no warning that it was about to happen or the extent of the damage and how long the great problem was likely tocontinue for. Where do people think such buses (with drivers) are hiding, just waiting to leap forth to where they are needed and drive for hours.
Many bus companies all over the country are cancelling their regular services due to driver shortage so where does one get hold of 'instant' drivers?
In fairness, it did happen in possibly the worst section of the WCML. Anything south of Hanslope is a bugger as no alternatives. Coaches would've been great, but nigh on impossible on a Friday afternoon at such short notice

gazzaa2

It is always a big risk of happening in this heat.

ah-media

Currently on an Avanti up from MKC that left at 2250. Crushed into the vestibules but at least on the way home. MKC showing only one more Euston departure tonight

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Buses are a no go they have a huge staffing issue at the moment with operators running Saturday and Sunday timetable on week days and still have 1000s of runs failing to run or running short

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Running the Euston-Crewe services at least between Rugby (or Northampton) and Crewe would have been useful but they were just completely suspended.

The information on Avanti and LNR's websites was also a rather lacking when services resumed; there was no indication that this was the case and so quite a few people unnecessarily took alternative routes when they would have been better off waiting for the next train.

Peter0124

Established Member
9P85 and 1S06 have currently arrived into Preston, 300L and 135L respectively o_O

Jimini

Established Member
9P85 and 1S06 have currently arrived into Preston, 300L and 135L respectively o_O

Ouch o_O

Scotrail314209

Established Member
RealTimeTrains and Traksy showing that train 1S06 (1930 Euston to Glasgow, started from Rugby) has been at a stand at Lockerbie for well over an hour. Can anyone confirm if it’s a reporting error?

I hope it is, as it was initially due to pass Lockerbie at 23:09, making it 3 and a half hours late. o_O

AndrewE

Established Member
Looks as though it has impacted today's services too... half the "Class 9" Anglo-Scottish services are cancelled already, e,g, 0651 and 1052 Edinburgh - Euston via W midlands. Plus corresponding Nbound services. Oh dear!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
This is the second day on the bounce, the WCML has been hit by chaos after there was OHL damage between Wigan NW & Warrington BQ on Thursday (16th).

A relative of mine ended up stranded a Crewe on Thurs, but thankfully Avanti managed to source some RR coaches to ferry passengers up towards Preston.

I believe Euston concourse looked like a scene from a Hollywood blockbuster film.

CJ

High Dyke

Established Member
RealTimeTrains and Traksy showing that train 1S06 (1930 Euston to Glasgow, started from Rugby) has been at a stand at Lockerbie for well over an hour. Can anyone confirm if it’s a reporting error?

I hope it is, as it was initially due to pass Lockerbie at 23:09, making it 3 and a half hours late. o_O
Delayed by a loco failure on 4S47 (Daventry - Mossend). 1S06 held at Lockerbie to prevent it being stranded behind.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Delayed by a loco failure on 4S47 (Daventry - Mossend). 1S06 held at Lockerbie to prevent it being stranded behind.
I feel sorry for the passengers and crew onboard. One thing after another.

I think the arrival into Glasgow turned out as 0359?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Managing an event like this has to be a consideration in how much traffic they let run on the network on a strike day.

Status
Not open for further replies.