• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Engineering overrun 24 April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

thealexweb

I was one of those badly affected by this. I got the 07:02 Bolton to Wigan North Western with no problems and was waiting for the 07:38 Wigan North Western to Edinburgh Waverley when it was announced my train would terminate at only Preston. I spent around 90+ mins queuing for one of the buses to Carlisle. From Carlisle I got the 12:06 Carlisle to Edinburgh Waverley. My original arrival time in to Edinburgh Waverley was 10:22, in the end it was 13:23. At over 180 mins late this is one of the worst delays I have had in years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tcm1106

I wonder if there are really more incidents occurring, or if it's just that possessions are so much tighter now that it means there's less time to recover when things go wrong?

Possession hand back is still in the region of 98.5% right-time.
Risk assessments are always run prior to any disruptive work taking place and are always given a lot of scrutiny. The amount of recovery time is mandated, so this isn't an issue.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was correct... there were 3(?) separate incidents...

In which case I take it back :) 6Y65 has certainly been responsible for the vast majority of today's problems though, I've been monitoring closely. I think the tamper issues were pretty superficial relative to this.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I was one of those badly affected by this. I got the 07:02 Bolton to Wigan North Western with no problems and was waiting for the 07:38 Wigan North Western to Edinburgh Waverley when it was announced my train would terminate at only Preston. I spent around 90+ mins queuing for one of the buses to Carlisle. From Carlisle I got the 12:06 Carlisle to Edinburgh Waverley. My original arrival time in to Edinburgh Waverley was 10:22, in the end it was 13:23. At over 180 mins late this is one of the worst delays I have had in years.

Despite whatever faults led to the delay, that doesn't seem too bad to me.

thealexweb

:idea:
Despite whatever faults led to the delay, that doesn't seem too bad to me.

What? So you are okay arriving at your destination over three hours late. I had to cancel a planned meeting at 1pm. I thought I had left sufficient buffer time of a couple of hours.

I only found out about the shambles on arriving at Oxenholme. Could have & did think about aborting my Edinburgh trip to red-pen 2 winner 68's, but there was a mini-bus ready to go, so gave it ago departing about 1120-1130. The bus arrived at Carlisle just in time to catch 390009 on the 1301 to Edinburgh where I arrived at 1422.

It was well organised, but I think perhaps some trains should have been turned around at Lancaster & Oxenholme.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
This is the first incident I've been affected by where I thought the whole handling was a shambles! They told me at Edinburgh to go to Lancaster via York, and that the whole thing would be cleared up by 2! Well, by the time I get to Preston no one was going to Lancaster and the ETA for the coach was 2 hours. Despite the fact that Northern trains were going up to Lancaster, no ticket acceptance was happening with them, either to go up to Lancaster, or to go back to York. There was also no platform staff on sight at Preston. What a joke this all was. The only good thing is that I got to experience the transpennine route for the first time.

exile

Established Member
My journey was Edinburgh to Warrington - 1451 to Carlisle arriving about 1615, got on a coach at 1700, arrived Preston 1845, left about 1920 and arrived Warrington 1940.

So, 4 hours 50 minutes instead of the booked 2 hours 50. No alternative route was offered from Edinburgh - but even if it had been (eg East Coast to York, then TPE from there) the journey time would have been even longer. So given the circumstances I have no real complaints (given I'll get compensation) - though we were rather disappointed to find the train from Preston was a 5 coach voyager and therefore standing room only.

The only frustrating aspect is that the whole route from Preston to Carlisle, both directions, was closed due to a single incident.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Possession hand back is still in the region of 98.5% right-time.
Risk assessments are always run prior to any disruptive work taking place and are always given a lot of scrutiny. The amount of recovery time is mandated, so this isn't an issue.

I was more concerned about the safety of those working within possessions and any implications for the safety of wider operations.

My journey was Edinburgh to Warrington - 1451 to Carlisle arriving about 1615, got on a coach at 1700, arrived Preston 1845, left about 1920 and arrived Warrington 1940.

So, 4 hours 50 minutes instead of the booked 2 hours 50. No alternative route was offered from Edinburgh - but even if it had been (eg East Coast to York, then TPE from there) the journey time would have been even longer. So given the circumstances I have no real complaints (given I'll get compensation) - though we were rather disappointed to find the train from Preston was a 5 coach voyager and therefore standing room only.

The only frustrating aspect is that the whole route from Preston to Carlisle, both directions, was closed due to a single incident.

And more frustrating, it wasn't closed as freight trains continued to run.

The track layouts at Penrith, Oxenholme & Lancaster allow for turning trains round, so equally frustrating that it was buses over the entire 90 miles.

Freightmaster

Established Member
And more frustrating, it wasn't closed as freight trains continued to run.
Only Northbound ones, and even they were all several hours late!

Southbound freight services over Shap were affected just as badly
as the passenger trains.

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.