• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Future Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Today -10% total of services but with quite specific minimum daily service requirements.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Today -10% total of services but with quite specific minimum daily service requirements.
The train service reuquirement allows a ten percent reduction in the daily number of stops (or one stop if there are less then ten) but no overall weekly reduction.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Pathing-dependent, I'd like to see a RUG stop every 2hrs on a non-BHM train (maybe one of the Manchesters?) This would also alleviate the NMP issue.

VTPreston_Tez

Pathing-dependent, I'd like to see a RUG stop every 2hrs on a non-BHM train (maybe one of the Manchesters?) This would also alleviate the NMP issue.

Euston to Glasgow has 1 per day afaik, I've rode it. It probably gets more though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

VTPreston_Tez

calc7

Established Member
Rugby will get faster trains if the 110mph LMs come off.

But where will they go to northwards? If it's Birmingham then there's already the xx03 VT from Euston. If it's Crewe via all shacks then it isn't useful. A more regular stop at Rugby would make Coventry and Northampton from the north, as well as Rugby itself, more attractive propositions.

NSE

Established Member
I'd like to see the Southern service extended north, maybe Northampton. I've used them and they seem well used.

calc7

Established Member
I'd like to see the Southern service extended north, maybe Northampton. I've used them and they seem well used.

Northbound at xx03 ish would fill the gap between xx54 and xx25. Southbound its path is to leave MKC at xx13 so would need to leave NMP around xx56 - there is a LM xx50 and xx05 so perhaps not the best timings in that direction.

NSE

Established Member
Northbound at xx03 ish would fill the gap between xx54 and xx25. Southbound its path is to leave MKC at xx13 so would need to leave NMP around xx56 - there is a LM xx50 and xx05 so perhaps not the best timings in that direction.

Ahhh maybe not then, it's surprising how well used they are though. Maybe a joint service between SN and LM could combine between Brighton and Birmingham. That might be more feasible.

VTPreston_Tez

Has anyone ever thought of a full-on dual TOC operation? For example a ScotRail/LM joint service from Euston (I know) with FSR going to Fort William and LM going to Liverpool Lime Street. They would operate together up to like Crewe, where FSR would go limited stop to Fort William so something like Warrington-Wigan-that dreaded place-Lancaster-Oxenholme-Carlisle-Edinburgh-all stops to Fort) and LM all stops to Lime Street.
I'm sure it's not the best idea ever, but would be interesting to see some domestic services to Scotland from London all the way up north that don't run in the dark hours. The stock would need to be compatible and I'd guess the FSR as a DMU being hauled by a LM EMU up to the split may work, what stocks can be coupled together that would work the route?

VTPreston_Tez

What would be the advantage over the existing Birmingham - Glasgow / Glasgow - Mallaig services?
  • It's all in one so there's no need to change
  • The first leg doesn't operate as Voyager
  • Well really it's a Pendo as it's running from London, but Brum may work
  • The service would skip Glasgow and go straight to Edinburgh Waverley and that would cut journey times
  • New connections in general
  • It would showcase the teamwork between ToCs
  • The WCML could do with some shinier and better-looking stock (all the stock is too dark and dismal for me ATM

They're what I had planned. Bet I could think up of more.

telstarbox

Established Member

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's all in one so there's no need to change
- True, but at a massive time penalty as shown here it may be worth changing to save yourself hours!

The first leg doesn't operate as Voyager
- Indeed, quite a few Birmingham-Scotland trains are now Pendolinos.

Well really it's a Pendo as it's running from London, but Brum may work
- How to hell would it join to a Liverpool service at Crewe then? What do you propose to do to get this train from Edinburgh-Fort William too? 57 haulage?

The service would skip Glasgow and go straight to Edinburgh Waverley and that would cut journey times
- Via Edinburgh would add the best part of 45-90mins onto a journey to the West Highlands in lieu of via Glasgow :|

New connections in general
- True, but enough I suspect to detract from a 10 min walk across Glasgow or a change at Queen St ex-EDB.

It would showcase the teamwork between ToCs
- As is demonstrated at quite a few points already (ticket acceptance and joint TPE / NT, SR / NT and SE / FCC working to name but a few)

The WCML could do with some shinier and better-looking stock (all the stock is too dark and dismal for me ATM

Seriously? What a pathetic reason :roll:

sprinterguy

Established Member
[*]The service would skip Glasgow and go straight to Edinburgh Waverley and that would cut journey times
By running all the way over to Edinburgh, and then back all the way to the west to join the West Highland Line journey times would probably be longer than they are with a change (and cross-city interchange) in Glasgow at present.

Time-keeping in general for this service would probably be abysmal due to the sheer length of the service and the long single track run from Helensburgh to Fort William where any delays would also probably impact on the other WHL services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The through market is minimal - trains on the West Highland are generally 156 or 158 units compared to Voyagers south of Glasgow
Trains on the West Highland are solely 156s; 158s aren't gauge cleared for the route.

Ivo

Established Member
Has anyone ever thought of a full-on dual TOC operation?

As NSE shows here:

Maybe a joint service between SN and LM could combine between Brighton and Birmingham.

Everyone and their mother has already realised that a link between LM and SN would be feasible on this route. But should one or the other fall under the control of someone other than Govia, unless an arrangement such as that of NT and SR on Newcastle to Glasgow applies (which proves that such arrangements do already exist) then it would be far harder to implement. Any other option would fall foul of the same problem.

Seriously though, any such suggestion would have to be on a viable route. Newcastle to Glasgow is feasible. Birmingham to Brighton is feasible. London to stations on the West Highland Line is not.

Isn't it past your bedtime Tez?

Now that is harsh ;)

Ivo

Established Member
I'm all for enthusiastic "fantasy" ideas, but there has to be a time and a place for these things

Of course you are. Not so long ago you were one of the main protagonists ;)

For the record, the time was Spring 2011, and the place was General Discussion. In other words, fantasy threads have had their day :(

NSE

Established Member
I'm intrigued to see this Pendo hauling a 350 to Crewe before turning into a FSR 158, or is this attached at Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.