• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Glasgow via Trent Valley 221s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I am travelling down to London soon and I will be going on the WCML from Carlisle down to London Euston. I will be booking tickets soon. The last 3 times I have done this trip, they have always been on 390s. My family and I want to take a ride on a 221 and, to save time by not going around Birmingham, does anyone know if the Glasgow - Euston via Trent Valley trains are ever operated by Voyagers or will I have to go via Birmingham to try one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, via Brum. The data on RTT is generally accurate for these trains, have a look on there, if it says Class 390 EMU it's almost certainly a Pendolino (barring any kind of emergency set swap), and if it says Diesel Multiple Unit it's a 221 (or a pair of them). You can also check by going most of the way through booking a ticket on the VT website and going to the seat selector.

Another option if time is more critical and you don't mind a change is to travel from Euston to Crewe on a Chester/Holyhead service (has to be 221) and change there onto the via Brum service (or reverse that plan as you're going south). You'll gain 20 minutes by doing that.

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Indeed, via Brum. The data on RTT is generally accurate for these trains, have a look on there, if it says Class 390 EMU it's almost certainly a Pendolino (barring any kind of emergency set swap), and if it says Diesel Multiple Unit it's a 221 (or a pair of them). You can also check by going most of the way through booking a ticket on the VT website and going to the seat selector.

Thanks, is the seat selector system always accurate? And how often do set swaps happen?

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
User Chrism20 recently posted this link to the Voyager Diagrams elsewhere- it is out of date (being 2015 diagrams), but it may well still be correct.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks, is the seat selector system always accurate?

Yes, near enough. The only swap you may get that won't necessarily be respected is a 9 car 390 swapping for an 11 or vice versa, as that can be done without mucking up reservations (the 2 coaches that the 9 car doesn't have, G and U, are unreserved).

And how often do set swaps happen?

Very rare other than between 9 and 11-car Pendolinos.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...The data on RTT is generally accurate for these trains...
I think you mean that the timing loads, which are shown on open data sites such as Realtimetrains, OpenTrainTimes etc will typically match the booked traction for these trains ;)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking, but I feel it's important to get this right to avoid confusion when it comes to other situations, which are not so clear-cut.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Another option if time is more critical and you don't mind a change is to travel from Euston to Crewe on a Chester/Holyhead service (has to be 221) and change there onto the via Brum service (or reverse that plan as you're going south). You'll gain 20 minutes by doing that.

Southbound there is 55 minutes to wait at Crewe (xx01-xx56) for the Chester-Euston 221, and you won't overtake the via Brum service.
Northbound the connection at Crewe is 20 minutes (xx49-xx09) off the xx10 Chester 221 from Euston, and you do overtake the Brum service.
Changing at Crewe means you will be using the via Brum service north of Crewe, which is a mix of 390s and 221s.

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Southbound there is 55 minutes to wait at Crewe (xx01-xx56) for the Chester-Euston 221, and you won't overtake te via Brum service.
Northbound the connection at Crewe is 20 minutes (xx49-xx09) off the xx10 Chester 221 from Euston, and you do overtake the Brum service.
Changing at Crewe means you will be using the via Brum service north of Crewe, which is a mix of 390s and 221s.

Thanks! Is there any ticket that would allow me to travel via Brum (if the Brum service is a 221) and on the Chester service (if the Brum service was a 390?)

NSE

Established Member
A Glasgow - London Terminals ticket, Route: Any Permitted will be fine for a start. I believe, any service that travels between the two points of your destination (in this case Glasgow and London Terminals) is valid, despite if it takes a detour via Birmingham.

route101

Established Member
Seems more Glasgow to Birmingham services are 390s now , with sets starting from Euston !

Chrism20

Established Member
User Chrism20 recently posted this link to the Voyager Diagrams elsewhere- it is out of date (being 2015 diagrams), but it may well still be correct.

I can't comment on accuracy of Glasgow diagrams but the Edinburgh ones and the Blackpool one are both still accurate as I've been on all of those services since the timetable change in May.

Veteran Member
From memory, I believe that the off pattern 05:50 GLC - EUS via Birmingham service is operated by a Super Voyager.

This is the 09:45 and 10:05 departures from Wolverhampton and Birmingham NS respectively.

It was last month. 10 cars ex Wolves.

route:oxford

Established Member
I am travelling down to London soon and I will be going on the WCML from Carlisle down to London Euston. I will be booking tickets soon. The last 3 times I have done this trip, they have always been on 390s. My family and I want to take a ride on a 221 and, to save time by not going around Birmingham, does anyone know if the Glasgow - Euston via Trent Valley trains are ever operated by Voyagers or will I have to go via Birmingham to try one?

If you want to try out different traction, why not do a 221 to Brum then swap to Chiltern for a Silver service to Marylebone?

Status
Not open for further replies.