• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Power Supply & Auto Transformer Upgrade

59CosG95

Established Member
Bringing this thread up again, I'm wondering what the current process of the WCML Power Supply Upgrade is, having noticed ATF supports up on sections of the route (sans wires) for a number of years now.

I know Whitmore - Weaver Jct is waiting on Crewe ATFS being installed/commissioned, and I think Kings Langley - North Wembley is still waiting on Bushey ATFS being commissioned, but a curious question is posed by a gap still using Return Conductors between Euxton Jct & Carnforth (the SATS/AFTS for which is slightly north of the station, based on Google Maps observations).
Is there due to be an ATFS in the Preston area in the near future?

Digging around on Twitter, I found out that the groundwork is also there to extend ATF operation into Scotland, with the existing feeder at Elvanfoot allegedly ATF-ready.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Euxton Jct has an AT substation located next to Pet Cemetery on the opposite side of the Junction to the old TSC. Catterall Feeder has been upgraded to an AT Feeder and Carnforth AT substation is indeed north of Carnforth station

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
---- I'm wondering what the current process of the WCML Power Supply Upgrade is, having noticed ATF supports up on sections of the route (sans wires) for a number of years now. ------ Is there due to be an ATFS in the Preston area in the near future? Thanks in advance for any info!

North of Preston (and in fact right outside my UK house as I back onto the WCML) there are the large insulators/SPS typical of AT but no further work done for over 2 years at least. The supply, IIRC was going to be upgraded through Preston from Euxton Jct (I think the current AT limit) and I assume it would then go as far as Catteral Grid feeder. I am back in USA so cant send any photos for about 3 weeks.

thecrofter

Bringing this thread up again, I'm wondering what the current process of the WCML Power Supply Upgrade is, having noticed ATF supports up on sections of the route (sans wires) for a number of years now.

I know Whitmore - Weaver Jct is waiting on Crewe ATFS being installed/commissioned, and I think Kings Langley - North Wembley is still waiting on Bushey ATFS being commissioned, but a curious question is posed by a gap still using Return Conductors between Euxton Jct & Carnforth (the SATS/AFTS for which is slightly north of the station, based on Google Maps observations).
Is there due to be an ATFS in the Preston area in the near future?

Digging around on Twitter, I found out that the groundwork is also there to extend ATF operation into Scotland, with the existing feeder at Elvanfoot allegedly ATF-ready.

Thanks in advance for any info!

With regard to West Coast South, Bushey ATFS has been feeding in classic for many years. The Bushey Feeder Area i.e. Bushey ATFS to North Wembley MPATS (S) and Bushey ATFS to Bourne End MPATS (N) was descoped from the AT project (phase 3A) and Kings Langley ATS subsequently mothballed. Further development concerning the installation of a Neutral Section at Bushey (as per the orignal WCRM concept circa 2002/03) to make full use of the two Grid Supplies from Elstree and extending Bushey southern feed into Euston to take the load off Acton Lane has long been the aspiration for the Route.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
With regard to West Coast South, Bushey ATFS has been feeding in classic for many years. The Bushey Feeder Area i.e. Bushey ATFS to North Wembley MPATS (S) and Bushey ATFS to Bourne End MPATS (N) was descoped from the AT project (phase 3A) and Kings Langley ATS subsequently mothballed. Further development concerning the installation of a Neutral Section at Bushey (as per the orignal WCRM concept circa 2002/03) to make full use of the two Grid Supplies from Elstree and extending Bushey southern feed into Euston to take the load off Acton Lane has long been the aspiration for the Route.
What does this actually mean in practice? Is there currently a limitation on capacity imposed by a maximum number of concurrent electric units?

thecrofter

What does this actually mean in practice? Is there currently a limitation on capacity imposed by a maximum number of concurrent electric units?

No, it's more of a supply resilience issue as the train capacity would only be limited should both supplies at Bushey become unavailable. It's not unheard of (but typically unusual) to have an N-2 situation and in this instance there would have to be a limitation on train movements as Acton Lane would be unable to support the timetable..

59CosG95

Established Member
Did a quick Euston-Tring trip this evening, and noticed the following points - which I'm sure @Elecman & @thecrofter will be able to back me up on with regards the points above.
  • 3 pairs of spanwire feeder posts are up without any spanwires between them, just south of Bushey. Was this planned to be part of Bushey ATFS?
  • Passing the ATS at Kings Langley (a SATS?), "mothballed" seemed to be an apt description, with all the masts & cables running up, but the spanwire feeder were all looped around the 3 masts on the Up side.
  • A pair of spanwire 4-angle masts just south of Tring have no spanwires at all, and seem to be covered in ivy rather than cables. Was this another proposed neutral section descoped from Tring ATS?

thecrofter

Did a quick Euston-Tring trip this evening, and noticed the following points - which I'm sure @Elecman & @thecrofter will be able to back me up on with regards the points above.
  • 3 pairs of spanwire feeder posts are up without any spanwires between them, just south of Bushey. Was this planned to be part of Bushey ATFS?
The masts originally installed by WCRM for the intended location of the Bushey Neutral Section. This was never installed due to objections to the Network Change by certain factions of the train operators.

• Passing the ATS at Kings Langley (a SATS?), "mothballed" seemed to be an apt description, with all the masts & cables running up, but the spanwire feeder were all looped around the 3 masts on the Up side.
[/QUOTE}
Most definitely an ATS (not a SATS) hence it remains out of use until Bushey feeder area is converted to AT operation.

• A pair of spanwire 4-angle masts just south of Tring have no spanwires at all, and seem to be covered in ivy rather than cables. Was this another proposed neutral section descoped from Tring ATS?

No. Rather a change of location for the masts. Old masts should have been removed. You don't have a Neutral Section at an ATS - it is in effect just a paralleling site.

59CosG95

Established Member
The masts originally installed by WCRM for the intended location of the Bushey Neutral Section. This was never installed due to objections to the Network Change by certain factions of the train operators.
Thank you very much for all the corrections - I'm still a little rusty on the electrical principles of ATF!

Class 170101

Established Member

No, it's more of a supply resilience issue as the train capacity would only be limited should both supplies at Bushey become unavailable. It's not unheard of (but typically unusual) to have an N-2 situation and in this instance there would have to be a limitation on train movements as Acton Lane would be unable to support the timetable..

But this must have changed in the last couple of years as Acton Lane (Harlesden) is one of the two feeders for Tottenham and Hampstead route electrification? It was said West Ham and Acton Lane had spare capacity to power the line so no new feeder station was built? (I do wonder where you would put one anyway)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Crewe ATFS is progressing slowly, Catterall has been upgraded afaik
But I saw with my own eyes when home in the UK July 26th - August 4th - absolutely nothing between Euxton and Catterall as regards ATF wires etc. But I think you or someone else said that has been effectively descoped at the moment.

59CosG95

Established Member
But I saw with my own eyes when home in the UK July 26th - August 4th - absolutely nothing between Euxton and Catterall as regards ATF wires etc. But I think you or someone else said that has been effectively descoped at the moment.
What I think @Elecman means is that the FS itself has been upgraded, but it seems the ATF wires have yet to be run (as bare feeders, or in cable troughs marked DANGER 25,00V or similar).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not sure where to put this, but there's now a small forest of masts, gantries and wires at Springs Branch rolling stock-depot-to-be.
Wiring train also on site.

59CosG95

Established Member
Of interest, there are a couple of engineering trains bound for Balshaw Lane (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U34664/2019/08/31/advanced; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U34678/2019/08/31/advanced) and Garstang & Catterall (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U34660/2019/08/31/advanced) this weekend... (i.e. 31/8/19).

Virgin Trains states that the 2031 Euston - Preston service will be changed to run to Man Picc, but TPE's workings are unaffected; they must be diverting via Bolton.

Last edited:

thecrofter

The Enhancements Pipeline Publication has stated that "Power resilience on the WCML between Bushey and Euston" has been given a decision to Initiate, which means that the DfT are trying to look at reinstating Bushey ATFS, thus finishing the southern end of the WCML PSU. https://assets.publishing.service.g...Network_Enhancements_Pipeline_Publication.pdf
It’s not to reinstate Bushey ATFS which has been feeding in classic since it’s inception but to install the AT feeders and commission the area in full AT mode.

thecrofter

In essence yes. However, the feasibility of removing the NS at North Wembley and for Bushey to feed all the way into Euston, thereby taking some load off Acton Lane is to be explored. West Coast PSU ran out money in the north before completing Bushey although some elements were done to facilitate the Watford Area Resignalling Project.

jfollows

Established Member
Does anyone know the status of or plans for AT in my area, the Manchester area? From observation and memory I think we have no AT through Wilmslow, but then Cheadle Hulme to Stockport appears to have the wiring.

59CosG95

Established Member
Does anyone know the status of or plans for AT in my area, the Manchester area? From observation and memory I think we have no AT through Wilmslow, but then Cheadle Hulme to Stockport appears to have the wiring.
I believe all the main branches from the WCML still use Return Conductors & Booster Transformers.

Class 170101

Established Member
In essence yes. However, the feasibility of removing the NS at North Wembley and for Bushey to feed all the way into Euston, thereby taking some load off Acton Lane is to be explored. West Coast PSU ran out money in the north before completing Bushey although some elements were done to facilitate the Watford Area Resignalling Project.

I thought Acton Lane until recently was under utilised hence why it now supports T&H Wiring alongside West Ham / Barking from the LTS side?

thecrofter

I thought Acton Lane until recently was under utilised hence why it now supports T&H Wiring alongside West Ham / Barking from the LTS side?

As I've mentioned before, Acton Lane has limitations mainly in perturbation situations. Since the Acton Lane - Old Oak Common Interconnector was decommssioned by GWEP (originally the alternative feed to HEX for the loss of Hayes FS), Acton Lane now has two 132/25 kV feeders in service from Willesden Grid. One supply feeds the North London Line (including the new section of Gospel Oak - Barking up to the Neutral Section at South Tottenham) and the other feeds the WCML from Euston to North Wembley. Don't forget each feeder has to have the ability to service both supplies in the event of the loss of either feed (N-1) and ultimately the power supply system may have to cope with N-2 at any feeder station. The decision to further explore the AT feeding from Bushey into Euston (and hopefully implement it) is in the CP6 enhancement workbank for resilience purposes as more and more electric services get added to the timetable incrementally.

59CosG95

Established Member
Hovering over the northern section of the WCML again on Google Maps - did the new feeder at Newton-le-Willows (an ATFS as far as I can tell) replace the legacy feeder off Newton Park Rd?