• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML season ticket renewal & closures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb

It's time in a week or two for me to renew my annual season ticket from Rugby to London. Will I get a discount to the price as the line will be closed at Watford for around 20 days during the year and I'd object to having to pay for those days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I suspect you would get some form of compensation. I don't think these arrangements have been mentioned anywhere yet.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's time in a week or two for me to renew my annual season ticket from Rugby to London. Will I get a discount to the price as the line will be closed at Watford for around 20 days during the year and I'd object to having to pay for those days?

You won't get passenger charter discounts for season ticket renewal for engineering works in the future. If there are void days declared during the period of validity of your current season ticket, then you will have them applied to your renewal normally. If those days of engineering works during the validity of your next season ticket are declared as void days, you will have them applied at your subsequent renewal after those days. (Struck through contents no longer apply. See below.)

There may be alternative transport provided and the timetable will be amended, so you are not automatically entitled to compensation/discounts/addition of void days.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Wouldn't London - Rugby be Delay Repay, rather than void days and charter discounts?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Wouldn't London - Rugby be Delay Repay, rather than void days and charter discounts?

Virgin's Delay Repay scheme only came into being on 1st April 2013. If the OP's season ticket were purchased prior to this date (which would be the case seeing that he has an annual), then compensation arrangements would apply under the old rules, ie. void days and charter discount.

You are correct that once the OP renews his season ticket, he would come under the new rules, and would need to apply for Delay Repay compensation under the new rules, ie. for each journey separately.

Edit:

In addition, "void days" during the validity of your current season ticket do not have to be added to your renewal. You can seek a refund for those days, or you can have them added to the end of your current season ticket.

jbb

This would be a new season ticket starting in a few weeks so the previous arrangements for compensation are not important for this.

I understand that I could perhaps apply for a refund after the event if there are no usable services. But it seems rather unfair to expect me to pay perhaps £450 or so in advance for services they already know won't be running and then hope I get a refund in a years time. I feel there is a difference between a claiming back for a couple of days, and the 20 days or so for this.

If that's how it is, then that's how it is though. I just wanted to know if there were any other plans. if it was just a handful of days of planned engineering work then I'd not worry about it too much and just claim back afterwards but this is a quite significant proportion of the travel that won't be running according to the information I've seen so far.

Thanks for the information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.