• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML sights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Denzo

Good point!

TBH I would recommend the WCML (either via Brum or the yet-more-rolling-hills Trent Valley) over the ECML any day. The ECML is interesting and scenic as far south as Durham, then it is just pancake-flat and downright tedious, like spending 4 hours travelling through the Netherlands or northern Germany.

The weirdest thing about the ECML for me (Speaking as a Scotsman who has probably made about 10 return journeys in my life on the ECML) how there just doesn't seem to be any semblance of midlands. You leave the Northern town of Doncaster and within 20 mins you're at Newark Northgate which is basically in the South, 20 more mins you're at Peterborough which is basically London.

I usually choose ECML for speed and free wifi although the WCML does seem to have some more interesting places to travel through, so I'm happy to accept the slower journey if the price is right.

TimboM

Established Member
On leaving Crewe station look right, then left, then right again...

Firstly on the right there are the carriage sidings. Lots of "interesting" rolling stock in various states of disrepair. GBRf also sometimes temporarily park locos here. Think 92043 might be there at the moment (been at Crewe all month certainly).

Then look left to see the Arriva Traincare depot. Quite often Network Rail test trains stabled there (seen the NMT there before) + Northern Belle coaches sometimes.

Then look right again to see the big goods yard (Basford Hall) - lots of intermodals usually + (mostly) Freightliner 66s, 90s, 86s - and if your lucky these days - 70s.

Last edited:

Established Member
As you descend from Beattock Summit through Harthope and Greskine - now those are all names evocative of the days of steam - look out to your right for the electricity pylons.

Their crazy angle against the rolling landscape really brings home the extent of Pendolino tilt, I always make a point of looking out for them!

TimboM

Established Member
Other WCML sights I usually keep an eye out for (some mentioned already):

- great scenery in Borders and Cumbria, including the pass through Beattock, then coming down from Shap
- Infamous Lamington Viaduct crossing the River Clyde a little while after Carstairs.
- Kingmoor yard on your right before Carlisle station; big DRS depot here - some Class 88s are being delivered in next few days I think (one already there) so if you're really lucky (and can tell one apart from a 68 as you speed past) might see one.
- Carlisle station
- Crewe and yards as above
- The new(ish) junction at Norton Bridge 5-10 mins before Stafford. You'll see the new Down Slow disappear off to the right and also possibly the (partially) removed old Down Slow track on the right of the main alignment. Then the overbridge with the Stone/Stoke line, then the disused Norton Bridge station to the left. The new Down Slow then rejoins to your right.
- The site of the Great Train Robbery between Leighton Buzzard and Cheddington stations
- Wembley Stadium (as mentioned) but also here is Wembley Depot then Willesden TMD. Usually a few locos and rolling stock to see here.

eMeS

... and within 20 mins you're at Newark Northgate which is basically in the South, 20 more mins you're at Peterborough which is basically London. ...

Living in Milton Keynes, I certainly don't feel that Newark is in any way in "the South". We drove there (for the Newark Air Museum) a year ago via the A1 & A1(M), and the roads were clear, and it just seemed to take a long time. Returning in the early evening gloom seemed much quicker.

Obviously a matter of perspective.

misterredmist

If it's reasonably clear, out of the left side, about 10 minutes through Rugby, you should also be able to see the Northampton Lift Testing Tower, shortly before the Northampton loop line joins from below, on the left.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Living in Milton Keynes, I certainly don't feel that Newark is in any way in "the South". We drove there (for the Newark Air Museum) a year ago via the A1 & A1(M), and the roads were clear, and it just seemed to take a long time. Returning in the early evening gloom seemed much quicker.

Obviously a matter of perspective.

I'd similarly call Peterborough either East Anglia or East Midlands, rather than the SE.

It might be in the NSE area (I forget) but that's more a political construct. You can hardly say Weymouth is in the South East, but that's ex-NSE.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think all this shows how much affection we have for the West Coast Main Line and its many sights.
I always think of Joseph Locke (still posting on this forum!) who designed most of it north of Stafford in his no-tunnels style which gave us all the views and sweeping curves.
Unfortunately he was not available for the HS2 design team, so we will have many blank views of tunnels, embankments and sound barriers instead.

Also time to recite the "Night Mail" by W H Auden: https://allpoetry.com/Night-Mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmciuKsBOi0
Not much mail by rail these days, but you might pass the red Willesden-Shieldmuir Post Office 325s en route somewhere, often at Warrington Dallam mail depot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.