• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML South issues 18/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

What's going on with the WCML?

I saw a picture earlier of a 390 with a bent panto and a problem on the fast lines. Now LM have started cancelling all of their evening services..

Not much info on Twitter. Anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
There's a significant OHLE issue in the Ledburn Junction area. I've seen pictures of a snapped cable.

Southern services are not running between Watford Junction and Milton Keynes Central, at the request of NR. AFAIK, passengers can use any LM services that are running.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
1H63 was the train involved I think (390039). Took the Panto out, was originally the Down Fast that was the problem just north of Ledburn but then considered too dangerous to run on the Up.

A0wen

On Moderation
But I'm sure all the 'armchair experts' around here keep telling us that the WCML's OHL is infallible, whereas the 'cheapskate' electrification done on the ECML is a liability and always subject to problems.

Surely some mistake........

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's not as simple as that though. The West Coast has more trains - and more pantographs.

Exogenous factors such as weather or terrain are unlikely to produce different results based on the type of electrification.

nuneatonmark

Currently on the 1710 ex-Euston. Running 8 minutes late at MKC after going on slow line past the problem area so not too bad. Normal approach for problems like this. Cancel a bunch of LM services plus one an hour Virgin to Manchester and Brum. A very kind Virgin train manager allowed me to board an earlier train than I was booked on.

driver_m

Established Member
But I'm sure all the 'armchair experts' around here keep telling us that the WCML's OHL is infallible, whereas the 'cheapskate' electrification done on the ECML is a liability and always subject to problems.

The neutral section got took out. Might be worth pointing out a lot of these dewirements are happening on the southern section on the fast lines. They tend to be rarer on the older sections that cover the slows and the Liverpool and Manchester sections. It does take an absolute hammering on the southern section to be fair.

The Ham

Established Member
The neutral section got took out. Might be worth pointing out a lot of these dewirements are happening on the southern section on the fast lines. They tend to be rarer on the older sections that cover the slows and the Liverpool and Manchester sections. It does take an absolute hammering on the southern section to be fair.

Would another two lines to help relieve the amount of trains running? <D (runs for cover as this thread too becomes about HS2)

didcot

Saw 57302 dragging 390039 through Rugby about 1400 to Oxley from Leighton Buzzard

Established Member

A colleauge of mine who attended the incident pointed out that if a similar incident happened on the East Coast the whole lot would have come down rather than just the one line due to the difference in the way the OLE is constructed.

driver_m

Established Member
A colleauge of mine who attended the incident pointed out that if a similar incident happened on the East Coast the whole lot would have come down rather than just the one line due to the difference in the way the OLE is constructed.

It would do because they use wirehead spans that connect all the wiring across all running lines. Rather than it being individually strung like on many other OLE installations. However there are sections of this on the west coast north of weaver junction yet this doesn't tend to come down to much either.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's been pointed out on here before that 2 track headspans aren't as much of a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.