• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Unpleasentness

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A failed freight train is causing problems between Milton Keynes & Rugby and is causing WCML delays. Problems are expected until c.1900

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I thought the delays were on the Northampton Branch?.

A broken down freight train is causing disruption near to Long Buckby.
Because of this, London Midland services between Northampton and Crewe / Birmingham New Street may be delayed by up to 30 minutes or cancelled. This will continue until further notice.

Ticket acceptance
Passengers may use the following services:
CrossCountry services between Leicester, Nuneaton and Birmingham New Street
CrossCountry services between Tamworth and Birmingham New Street
CrossCountry services between Stafford and Stoke-on-Trent
Virgin Trains services between Milton Keynes and Birmingham New Street.

A limited replacement bus service will run between:
Nuneaton, Atherstone and Tamworth
Stafford, Stone and Stoke-on-Trent.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought the delays were on the Northampton Branch?.

A broken down freight train is causing disruption near to Long Buckby.
Because of this, London Midland services between Northampton and Crewe / Birmingham New Street may be delayed by up to 30 minutes or cancelled. This will continue until further notice.

Ticket acceptance
Passengers may use the following services:
CrossCountry services between Leicester, Nuneaton and Birmingham New Street
CrossCountry services between Tamworth and Birmingham New Street
CrossCountry services between Stafford and Stoke-on-Trent
Virgin Trains services between Milton Keynes and Birmingham New Street.

A limited replacement bus service will run between:
Nuneaton, Atherstone and Tamworth
Stafford, Stone and Stoke-on-Trent.

Apologies - it is indeed on the Northampton branch

Jonesy

I think it is a class 37 on freight heading north that has failed - apparently another one on it's way to rescue it now but only just past Nuneaton and so disruption will continue (although I think 2x 86's off 4L92 freightliner have dragged the 37 to Rugby in the meantime).

There also seems to be some problems between Runcorn and Acton Bridge - the 1652 from Runcorn to Birmingham left at 1659 for a 9 minute journey that almost took half an hour! Anyone got any idea on that one?

Cheers
Jonest

1D53

Established Member
Problem with a freight train at Runcorn.

Beveridges

Established Member
Unlikely to be a Class 37 as there are hardly any of them left and they probably haul only about 1% of the freight on the rails today. They do not even operate into Runcorn with it being DB Schenker and them not having any of the type left. Most likely to be a Class 66.

Jonesy

Believe it was a pair of 37s on this service.

I think there was one to begin with - 37069 - and then the second one was the rescue engine, 37602, attached at Rugby. The lone 37 was working a service from Ripple Lane to Grangemouth when it failed.

Beveridges

Established Member
Unbelieve how much chaos the failure of 1 locomotive can cause. Id like to know how big the fine is that DRS would have to pay for that

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Unbelieve how much chaos the failure of 1 locomotive can cause. Id like to know how big the fine is that DRS would have to pay for that

Not only that but by taking Class 66's off lease they now have to use locomotives which are much older. I'm sure their customers aren't too pleased with this decision.

DownSouth

Established Member
Not only that but by taking Class 66's off lease they now have to use locomotives which are much older. I'm sure their customers aren't too pleased with this decision.
I don't think their clients would really be affected. Most freight transported by rail is not time-sensitive, and that portion which is time-sensitive would probably be taken by Class 66 or Class 92 locos, not clapped out relics.

Established Member
I don't think their clients would really be affected. Most freight transported by rail is not time-sensitive, and that portion which is time-sensitive would probably be taken by Class 66 or Class 92 locos, not clapped out relics.
I don't think there was even a customer to affect - it was a positioning move of empty liner flats AFAIK.

mbonwick

Established Member

Older, yes. But cheaper to run, it doesn't matter if they aren't working, and probably easier to fix.

The client doesn't care how old the loco is, just so long as his product gets where he wants it, when he wants it, and the outfit looks professional.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Older, yes. But cheaper to run, it doesn't matter if they aren't working, and probably easier to fix.

The client doesn't care how old the loco is, just so long as his product gets where he wants it, when he wants it, and the outfit looks professional.

Just out of interest, I would have imagined that they were less fuel efficient and therefore more expensive to run? And surely spares would be much harder to source given their age?

Snapper

Established Member

Beveridges

Established Member
A 37 uses less fuel than a 66. Spares are available due to the amount of stored 37s. I'm glad they're using them myself ". I would like it if the type made a comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.