• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML upgrades for HS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Since the HS2 rolling stock will not be able to tilt, where is it likely that the WCML will be upgraded to support 125mph non tilt running? Certainly the stretch between Preston and Lancaster could be with some track realignment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jyte

My understanding is that HS2 ltd has stated multiple times in the past that it won't pay for upgrades to existing track beyond the absolute minimum (so interfaces to old lines at the most).

Some parts of the WCML could certainly be upgraded for 125mph, one section that springs to mind is the 8ish miles of long straight north of Carlisle.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Other posters have explained how difficult it is to sign the WCML for multiple speeds for different stock.

Domh245

Established Member
I half wonder about the feasibility of making the WCML back into a 110mph railway once HS2 is done. After all, that'll be the speed that the new TPE and WMTrains fleets will do on it. Would the time saved on HS2 be enough to account for any losses from not running up to 125mph on the northern stretches up to Scotland?

snowball

Established Member
I half wonder about the feasibility of making the WCML back into a 110mph railway once HS2 is done. After all, that'll be the speed that the new TPE and WMTrains fleets will do on it. Would the time saved on HS2 be enough to account for any losses from not running up to 125mph on the northern stretches up to Scotland?

As I understand it the Scots are already complaining that most of the gains from using HS2 south of Wigan are cancelled out by not tilting north of Wigan, so I don't think they'd be keen on further deceleration.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No bypasses will be built anytime soon but looking at options for getting a 125mph non tilt speed in places are being explored.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
My understanding is that HS2 ltd has stated multiple times in the past that it won't pay for upgrades to existing track beyond the absolute minimum (so interfaces to old lines at the most).

Some parts of the WCML could certainly be upgraded for 125mph, one section that springs to mind is the 8ish miles of long straight north of Carlisle.
There's also a section around Lockerbie where VT have suggested 135mph running with Pendolinos.

Other posters have explained how difficult it is to sign the WCML for multiple speeds for different stock.
Increasing the speed for non-tilt stock might mean it could match the EPS (the speed for tilting stock) in some places, where the signage would actually become simpler. Elsewhere the numbers on the speed signs would change but it wouldn't make the signage any more complex, unless it resulted in numerous extra changes of permitted speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.