• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML wires down and disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
Haven't seen / can't find a thread about this: NRE is saying
On Saturday 7 March, there was damage to the overhead electric wires at North Wembley junction, between London Euston and Watford Junction. There is a significant amount of work required to make repairs. Network Rail are putting resources in place.
Trains are unable to run between London Euston and Hemel Hempstead until 10:00.
Avanti West Coast
In summary, there will be a late start up to service and an early finish on Sunday 8 March.
The first planned service to leave from Euston will be London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street at 10:16.
Any customers due to travel before 10:00 are advised to travel later in the day where tickets will be accepted.
London Northwestern Railway
Road transport is running between Hemel Hempstead and Stanmore.
Your ticket can be used on Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Thameslink, London Overground and London Underground services.
You may also use National Express West Midlands Buses on any reasonable route, and National Express Coventry, on routes 5 and 18, to complete your journey.
London Overground
You may use your ticket at no extra cost on London Buses and London Underground services such as the Metropolitan or Jubilee line.
Sounds bad.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oversteer

According to OTT an Avanti 390 has been stuck at Harrow & Wealdstone since 1.30 yesterday..

37800 is quoted for the sleepers tonight up to watford, I'm not saying that's gospel but it does sorta make sense

footprints

Should have been on the 0816 Euston to Liverpool train which was cancelled.

Caught the 0845 Kings Cross to York train which has broken down south of Doncaster and been stationary for the past thirty minutes.

js47604

All seems to have restarted at 1000-ish.
Avanti trains running via Northampton, otherwise on the fasts.

All on the slow from Bourne End to Euston. Train that brought down the wires is still there.
Cancellations all day and the line will close at 2100 for repair and rescue work according to the announcement just made by the TM on 1A07

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Should have been on the 0816 Euston to Liverpool train which was cancelled.
Caught the 0845 Kings Cross to York train which has broken down south of Doncaster and been stationary for the past thirty minutes.

The 1016 Euston-Liverpool was the first train out and reached Liverpool at 1310.
Presumably you have only just reached Manchester after the LNER delay to York...
TPE not helping by not running trains across Manchester today (neither to the Airport or Liverpool!).

JohnMcL7

Oh yes that is what will happen - just making the point that the 37's delners can probably either hook up directly to the mark 5 coach or the 92.

It's a while since I've read the discussion on it but I thought there was a reason other Dellner equipped locomotives couldn't haul the mk5 sleeper stock, either height or software incompatibility?

captainbigun

There’s some cracking wibble here.

Inverness likely to leave early and the Glasgow will have a 66 for the short hop.

A single 37 with a dead 92 and 16 on isn’t really going to cut the mustard.

AndrewE

Established Member
I did wonder about that. Hence early (electric) departure. Could the ECS loco have been used to bank it if diesel-hauled pan down? They could keep the brake pipes coupled as the train will be stopping to detach the lead diesel anyway.
I also wondered whether any of the platforms would be long enough, but I guess the Lowlander isn't as long a train.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I usually factor in the increased possibility of serious delays due to OHLE damage when planning journeys in stormy weather, indeed I chose to drive last weekend during Storm Jorge instead of risking the WCML. But I wasn't expecting problems today.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I usually factor in the increased possibility of serious delays due to OHLE damage when planning journeys in stormy weather, indeed I chose to drive last weekend during Storm Jorge instead of risking the WCML. But I wasn't expecting problems today.

Yes we are always being told that we only have a fair weather railway. Turns out we don't even seem to have that. Anyone know what caused this one - dodgy pantograph or infrastructure?

bengley

Established Member
Yes we are always being told that we only have a fair weather railway. Turns out we don't even seem to have that. Anyone know what caused this one - dodgy pantograph or infrastructure?
Could be neither. Bird strikes sometimes cause this sort of damage - indeed it happened north of Carlisle just a few days ago.

VT 390

Established Member
Any idea when the lines will fully reopen as it just says Monday morning but no time?

popeter45

There’s some cracking wibble here.

Inverness likely to leave early and the Glasgow will have a 66 for the short hop.

for a slow drag from the depo to watford where the 92 can take over may work
other option but dont know if even possible is to use 92 in DC mode on DC line up to watford

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
other option but dont know if even possible is to use 92 in DC mode on DC line up to watford

Unless power supply on the DC lines has been massively bolstered since my days - a complete and utter non starter. We had to beg for permission to run 6 car 313's north of Harrow - a 92 would almost certainly bring out the breakers , - besides they are not route cleared. A 47 was the biggest engine allowed - with serious speed restrictions in place. 25 mph I recall. - and less for "MK3" at certain pinch points like Bushey-Watford High Street.

Boodiggy

Plan is for 92 to work Euston to Brent Receptions where the diesel will attach to haul the train to Watford where the 92 will take over once more. The diesel then returns to Harlesden Brent to do same for second sleeper. There will be an all line isolation so although Up and Down Slow are open they will be BTET (blocked to Electric Traction) passed the dewirement site.

Lewlew

Plan is for 92 to work Euston to Brent Receptions where the diesel will attach to haul the train to Watford where the 92 will take over once more. The diesel then returns to Harlesden Brent to do same for second sleeper. There will be an all line isolation so although Up and Down Slow are open they will be BTET (blocked to Electric Traction) passed the dewirement site.
How is the diesel gonna reverse? Guessing it'll have to go up to Bourne End/Hemel but it'll get in the way of the sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.