• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We don't go by what's on our own website

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
I had an issue today with a London Midland booking office. I presented the return portion of an ONLINE ONLY SVR ticket and requested to book a reservation on a Virgin train, on which it is valid. (The LM booking engine doesn't seem to want to issue reservations on these tickets for me.) The booking clerk asked a colleague if he was allowed to do this, and after some discussion they said I could not have a reservation because it is a Virgin service and is not valid for use on a London Midland promotional ticket. He pointed to the leaflet they were handing out where it said "for journeys on the London Midland network".

I was carrying a printout of the LM website sale page and handed this to the clerk, pointing out where it says "if your ticket is marked "Any Permitted" under the word "route", you may use any train operator for your journey", and reminding him that his booking office was supposed to, and his TIS was capable, of issuing tickets for any journey on the National Rail network. He replied "we don't go by what's on the website, only what's in our brochure" with the clear implication that I had fabricated the printout. I informed him that I would be making a complaint, at which he became quite aggrieved and raised his voice at me. I had to go and catch my train at that point.

I am reasonably confident that the staff member just couldn't be bothered issuing the reservation, and it will be another complaint going in to LM.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I'd put in a complaint. What was the ticket you were trying to use?

MarkyMarkD

Certainly no mention on their website that reservations are not available for tickets purchased under this offer - which, for example, was the case for the Chiltern 25p offer (not surprisingly!). So, they shouldn't have refused.

island

Veteran Member
A subsequent LM booking office had no problem issuing the reservation, and even asked me whether I was wanting forward or backward and table or airline. Reinforces my belief that it was a CBA attitude from the first clerk.

34D

Established Member
Northampton to London Terminals.

I'm confused as to why you'd want a reservation for such a short journey - indeed many members on here seem obsessed with reservations. Is it just an enthusiast thing, or is there another reason?

Out of interest were you charged (at the second station) for your reservation?

Whistler40145

Established Member
If you think that's a short journey to make a reservation, many years ago, I read in a certain railway magazine of a reservation from Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street, so the distance doesn't matter.

Also, I wouldn't be very happy if a Booking Office wouldn't make a reservation even though you have the correct type of ticket, no matter the distance of the journey.

I hope the member of LM staff is reprimanded for their awkwardness, they are in the job to help & in a pleasant manner. If you aren't right for such frontline work, then you shouldn't be in that position.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eejtyt

Daz28

I'm confused as to why you'd want a reservation for such a short journey - indeed many members on here seem obsessed with reservations. Is it just an enthusiast thing, or is there another reason?

It is a one hour journey. How long do you think a journey should be before a reservation is justified?

island

Veteran Member

The train I normally get (0810 Euston to Bangor) is usually full.

I was not charged, nor should I have been. Some companies such as FGW do charge for seat reservations not made at the time of purchase, which they're allowed to do, but Virgin does not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you think that's a short journey to make a reservation, many years ago, I read in a certain railway magazine of a reservation from Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street, so the distance doesn't matter.

I have had a reservation from Manchester O Rd to Manchester Pic once, and it has to date been my only time on EMT.

Flamingo

Established Member
I've seen a spate of London to Reading reservations on the evening commuter trains out of pad. I'm not sure if they are part of a longer journey via Reading, or just Pad-Rdg season-ticket holders making sure of their seat.

34D

Established Member
The train I normally get (0810 Euston to Bangor) is usually full.

I was not charged, nor should I have been. Some companies such as FGW do charge for seat reservations not made at the time of purchase, which they're allowed to do, but Virgin does not.

I've travelled on that train and agree it is well loaded (nainly with people reverse-commuting to MC).

It just seems strange to me that is all. Then again it is probably 10 years since I last had a reserved seat, and I do the bulk of my travelling on flexible tickets, never quite knowing my exact times.

I would perceive that 90% of people doing a journey like london to mk or northampton wouldn't have a reservation but please correct me if this is a flawed assumption.

MarkyMarkD

At peak times, probably you are right because most people will be commuting. At off-peak times, most people will have booked their tickets one-off and obtained a reservation by default, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.