• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We overtook an HST on the M1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gricer

Anyone recognise this young enthusiast taking a pic of 43008 at Woodall services on the M1?

43008g.jpg

We were travelling up to Newcastle last Friday when we overtook a transporter carrying 43008 "City of Aberdeen". We stopped at the next services thinking we might be able to get a photo as it went past. Luckily for us it pulled into the services so Damon and I chased after it and got a few snaps.

Anyone know where it was coming from / going to?

More pics here:-
http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class43/pages/43008.htm
http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class43/pages/43008b.htm

Frank

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Should have asked for a cab ride - can't be many people with the M1 highlighted on their route coverage maps!

TheSlash

Established Member
Now Frank, i can teach you to drive so that you overtake HST's on the motorway whilst they are running parallel to you on the mainline at 125mph. 8-) ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
Also, I hope Damon told you what type of rails it was resting on, and what torque setting the fishplates were done up to :D ;)

The Gricer

TheSlash said:
Now Frank, i can teach you to drive so that you overtake HST's on the motorway whilst they are running parallel to you on the mainline at 125mph. 8-) ;)

Well Steve, to anyone else saying that I would have replied "Don't exagerate" but in your case......!!! :) ;)

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The Railway Herald are using my image in the next magazine (minus the name insert obviously ;))

gnerhstonlowloader5jc.jpg

[EDIT]
LucaZone said:
First GNER PC to get an MTU engine?
I believe it was being transported after accident repairs.

David

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Anyone recognise this young enthusiast taking a pic of 43008 at Woodall services on the M1?
Is that the forums resident chav called Coxster? :p

Craig

Established Member
Good shots. Here's a crap camera phone photo of one (dunno if they're the same) going south in January. It was quite surreal walking out of Greggs and seeing that drive past down the high street :lol:

HST_LowFell_110106.jpg

I recognise the services too. I have bad memories of trying to work the coffee machine at 3am having been awake for the better part of two days while en-route to the last Acton open day :roll: :D

Coxster

Established Member
Nice one Craig. We were also surprised to see it!

60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
Is that the forums resident chav called Coxster? :p
Half right. The resident chav is Sethanald :D

T

Tom

I have the m1 highlighted!!!

buses1%21%21111.jpg

Cheers to Frank for permission on this pic (asked via Damon if you remember Frank ...!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ferries that are in my rail atlas I do. Road coverage maps are used now and again, but I do plan on accquiring a road atlas for this exact purpose. Oh, and I have a Herefordshire Public Transport Map for marking off routes covered here too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very near completing it myself, although I'm sure I did that one bit already that I've not marked off. Not the entire M5 done too, something I'm happy with. Some of the M25, most if not all of the M20 too. And who can forget the M6 and M6 Toll?

Status
Not open for further replies.