• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We strongly recommend you do not travel but if you absolutely must, you can go via Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Can't say about those two times but the 13:16 at Meadowhall looked OK today. As is was a 185 I assume that it would attract passengers over the central section of the run.

The 1611 Sheffield-Manchester was quiet by TPE standards yesterday, but not by any means empty.
Timing Sheffield-Huddersfield is very slack with 15 minutes allowances built in according to RTT (mainly spent around Hare Park and Heaton Lodge Jns).
Westbound the trains wait 18 minutes at Huddersfield for the normal Piccadilly stopper departure time to kick in. Eastbound is quicker.
Seems to stop at Meadowhall westbound (very handy for us) but not eastbound.
TPE crews very accommodating of weird diversions from the Hope Valley route.
At least TPE are using their spare capacity to run extra trains.
EMT managed to put 2-car trains (156 or 158) on the Derby-Crewe route instead of the single 153, but otherwise no special services to replace Sheffield-Liverpool.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
EMT managed to put 2-car trains (156 or 158) on the Derby-Crewe route instead of the single 153, but otherwise no special services to replace Sheffield-Liverpool.

Which way would they have run those?

They are now (better late than never) running through to Edale, which seems a good use of limited resources.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Which way would they have run those?
They are now (better late than never) running through to Edale, which seems a good use of limited resources.

Either via Huddersfield (like TPE) or via Derby and Crewe (ie missing out Sheffield rather than Man/Liv).
Hope Valley terminators are useless as part of a through service to Manchester/Liverpool.
From the photo at Hope on another thread they are using 2x4-car sets for this - can't believe the Hope footfall is that big.

Bovverboy

Established Member
From the photo at Hope on another thread they are using 2x4-car sets for this - can't believe the Hope footfall is that big.

Do you mean 4-car sets, i.e 2x2-car sets? That's the standard daytime formation on Norwich-Liverpool. I wouldn't have expected that they would drop/pick up a unit at Sheffield.
RTT indicates that there's a good hour turnaround time at Hope - is that what's prevailing in practice?

Tractor37

Either via Huddersfield (like TPE) or via Derby and Crewe (ie missing out Sheffield rather than Man/Liv).
Hope Valley terminators are useless as part of a through service to Manchester/Liverpool.

EMT crews don't sign the route via Huddersfield unlike TPE drivers at Sheffield so they would have to run via Crewe. Are there any spare paths to run them on the WCML possibly at 75mph if a 156 is included in the formation which regularly happens. They could be route conducted by TOC's that sign the road but that would require a large payment and a TOC with a lot of spare crew.

Bovverboy

Established Member
RTT indicates that there's a good hour turnaround time at Hope - is that what's prevailing in practice?

Sorry, some sets have over an hour's turnaround time, some have slightly less than an hour.

I see there's an ECS move, 2120 Hope to Sheffield - but the same set returns ECS to Hope only three-quarters of an hour later!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Can I just point out that they have decided to use the phrase "road replacement bus" in some places?
It isn't replacing the road!

Killingworth

Established Member
Sorry, some sets have over an hour's turnaround time, some have slightly less than an hour.

I see there's an ECS move, 2120 Hope to Sheffield - but the same set returns ECS to Hope only three-quarters of an hour later!

Trouble with the temporary arrangement today is that few will have known about it and normal service is resumed tomorrow.

Pity it couldn't have been fixed for Monday but a useful precedent if ever needed in the future.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I know it's quite a treck but could passengers use the TransPeak service from Manchester to Derby then any XC or EMT service to Sheffield. If that was me, I'd be tempted to take that route - better than relying on rail replacement buses!

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I know it's quite a treck but could passengers use the TransPeak service from Manchester to Derby then any XC or EMT service to Sheffield. If that was me, I'd be tempted to take that route - better than relying on rail replacement buses!

Scrap that - I've just had a look at the timetable and the TransPeak bus service doesn't run to and from Manchester. Stupid me!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Scrap that - I've just had a look at the timetable and the TransPeak bus service doesn't run to and from Manchester. Stupid me!
It runs to and from Stockport, and there are very frequent trains there from Manchester. What I don't know is how easy it would be for a passenger to change modes.

richardderby

transpeak only runs between derby and buxton railway station these days, it could'nt compete when the Buxton-Manchester line went twice hourly. The best option from Derby would be via Stoke on trent to Manchester by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.