• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weardale back in the Prem

Status
Not open for further replies.

E759

I see that Weardale Railway are back in the Premier League and running into Bishop Auckland. This is great news for all those that love rail connected lines in “preservation”. A gorgeous looking rail car running the daily service it seems. I just need to navigate the ticket complexities of L ner to find a good deal to pay another visit. Well done Weardale and see you soon!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
Just to note for those of us who worry about such things: It's quite a long journey from Bishop Auckland to Stanhope with no toilet on the train, although it might be possible to nip off for a couple of minutes at Wolsingham to use the facilities if the train sits there long enough.
Unfortunately the rather sparse timetable doesn't encourage journey breaks to get the next train.
Might be more of an issue:
a) At the moment - trying to keep hydrated in the heat can mean more frequent visits
b) Younger children
c) Those with weak bladders for whatever reason.

E759

Just to note for those of us who worry about such things: It's quite a long journey from Bishop Auckland to Stanhope with no toilet on the train, although it might be possible to nip off for a couple of minutes at Wolsingham to use the facilities if the train sits there long enough.
Unfortunately the rather sparse timetable doesn't encourage journey breaks to get the next train.
Might be more of an issue:
a) At the moment - trying to keep hydrated in the heat can mean more frequent visits
b) Younger children
c) Those with weak bladders for whatever reason.
I’d suggest emailing Weardale with your good points. My experience suggests you’d get a quick and sensible response.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I travelled on that line last year for the first time, using the single carriage DMU, which was so well restored, the staff were really friendly too. There is a really good pub very near Frosterley Station, I think the Black Bull. It is good to see that they are going back to Bishop Auckland West. (Next stop Darlington would be great, especially with steam.:D)

E759

I travelled on that line last year for the first time, using the single carriage DMU, which was so well restored, the staff were really friendly too. There is a really good pub very near Frosterley Station, I think the Black Bull. It is good to see that they are going back to Bishop Auckland West. (Next stop Darlington would be great, especially with steam.:D)
Yes the Black Bull Inn is on the other side of the road from Frosterley station. Very good pub as you say. Alight Frosterley not Stanhope if in need of brewed beverages

EvanDMU

Just to clarify - all trains operated by Mark2 stock (charters, cream teas, Christmas trains, galas, etc) are equipped with toilets. At the moment the Weardale is preparing a two-car Class 108 DMU for service which is also toilet equipped and which will be used on the 'heritage' service. Obviously the single-car bubbles were never so equipped even in BR days.
The current timetable has two daily trains to Bishop Auckland from Stanhope which connect with Northern Rail and one which goes to Witton-le-Wear, a shorter journey which releases a path for the cream tea trains. Timetabling is an issue because there are no passing loops on the first 10 miles of line.

The_Rail_WAy

Got a similar feeling as with this line as I do the Wensleydale, I want to 'do' it but only if steam is running and the whole line is in use....

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I was thinking of combining a trip to this line with a visit to the Bowes museum- is it viable to do both by train/bus on the same day

FQTV

I was thinking of combining a trip to this line with a visit to the Bowes museum- is it viable to do both by train/bus on the same day

It would depend on where you planned to start and end your day. There’s no bus route (I believe) between Stanhope and Barnard Castle; only between Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle. The latter takes 50 minutes, with seven services each way on weekdays, five in one direction and six the other on Saturdays, and no Sunday service.

To make it work, you might need to look into a taxi between Barnard Castle and Stanhope, to make a circular route avoiding double-backs:

Darlington > BUS > Barnard Castle > TAXI > Stanhope > WEARDALE RAILWAY > Bishop Auckland > NORTHERN > Darlington.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news it has reopened, now I wonder how long before one of the tour operators (pathfinder/UK railtours) runs a through tour.

Either that or I shall have to look at the timetable to see if a day trip is viable :)

geml90

I don't think there are any buses between Stanhope and Barnard Castle (Weardale to Teesdale), but if you do get a taxi there are lots of good views on the way - https://goo.gl/maps/b2PZXbTbBYn

There's normally a lot to see at the Bowes museum if you want to take it all in too.

Bishop Auckland West is a platform for the Weardale Railway (i.e. not a station building like Stanhope). It's next to Bishop Auckland station, but there isn't a direct link between the two. I went earlier this year and it's across the B&Q car park, down the side of the Royal Mail sorting office and through a gate. If you go in Bishop Trains at Bishop Auckland station I find they are very helpful and will point you the right way. Morrisons is probably closest for toilets before setting off...

Good news it has reopened, now I wonder how long before one of the tour operators (pathfinder/UK railtours) runs a through tour.

Either that or I shall have to look at the timetable to see if a day trip is viable :)

Both companies ran up there (as did RTC and Steam Dreams) when the link was first reinstated. 2011-2013 rings a bell. Trains have been running off the national network and onto the Weardale the entire time

I think the platform at BIA West was a bit crap before but the link has always been servicable

EvanDMU

Rather embarrassingly the border between the Weardale and Network Rail is just about where the sign is situated, since the picture was taken NR have been and strimmed and weedkilled their bit.
The picture was taken off the second BAWest platform, the original was on the connecting line, rather than in the bay which was constructed by the Weardale around 2013/4.
As to passenger-carrying specials off the main line, best advice would be to watch this space for 2019!
Connecting line last used today for a Craigentinny-Wolsingham-Craigentinny stock move.

Amlag

If the Weardale Rly suffers in the same way as the Dartmoor Rly has thro it's US IPH Outfits BARS / DR subsidiaries then exorbitant and off putting track access charges will be quoted to any prospective charter train operators wanting to run a train through from the National Network. Very luckily for the Weardale Rly it has a supporting Trust and strong involvement from Durham County Council, and seems to value and encourage volunteer staff.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I don't think there are any buses between Stanhope and Barnard Castle (Weardale to Teesdale), but if you do get a taxi there are lots of good views on the way - https://goo.gl/maps/b2PZXbTbBYn

There's normally a lot to see at the Bowes museum if you want to take it all in too.

Bishop Auckland West is a platform for the Weardale Railway (i.e. not a station building like Stanhope). It's next to Bishop Auckland station, but there isn't a direct link between the two. I went earlier this year and it's across the B&Q car park, down the side of the Royal Mail sorting office and through a gate. If you go in Bishop Trains at Bishop Auckland station I find they are very helpful and will point you the right way. Morrisons is probably closest for toilets before setting off...
Thanks very helpful

steamybrian

Established Member
Where are the league tables shown...?
I made a visit there a few years ago and was very disappointed in the operation of the railway and its facilities.

E759

Season closes end of Santa Specials and re-opens immediately, promotions and demotions occurring at this time. Automatic mid-season promotion to Premier, through dint of National Rail connectivity for supporters, reflects the enormous efforts of the Railway and the benefits accrued by visiting fans and the Railway by the increased gate receipts.

Analysis of previous season statistics is often enjoyed sitting in an armchair a long way from the action being meted out daily in the hurly burly of the mid-season tussle.

Status
Not open for further replies.