• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Disruption caused by storm Ciara (February 9th, 10th and 11th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Just to make forumites aware..

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/weather

There will be
No services between York and Scotland
No services between Bristol and the South West
No services between Reading and Bournemouth.

Tickets for Sunday are valid on Saturday and Monday.

There will be no seat reservations applied or enforced on Sunday.
Advance ticket restrictions have been lifted for Sunday.

No new reservations are able to be booked for Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Grand Central have cancelled all services on Sunday. Tickets will NOT be accepted on other train services

Established Member
LNER are also running a reduced service. But are NOT accepting other operators tickets.

MDB1images

TPE
"Services on the Manchester Airport - Preston - Lancaster - Carlisle route will be reduced in frequency.
Most services to / from Glasgow Central will not run. Customers may use trains operated by Avanti West Coast between Carlisle and Glasgow Central instead.

Services on the York - Northallerton - Darlington - Newcastle route will be reduced in frequency.
Customers travelling to / from the North East may be required to change trains at York".

Blanket emergency speed restrictions that will likely come in will mean anything that does run could be delayed by a fair amount.

Saint66

Blanket 50mph speed limit will be imposed on the Thameslink network on Sunday.

Wivenswold

Established Member
It's an interesting storm (for geeks like me).

Normally when a mature Atlantic storm hits the UK it's already decaying so the wind speeds you see screaming at you from the front of newspapers apply mostly to coastal areas. This storm is hitching a ride on a very strong and fast jet stream and getting here sooner that it usually would. It's still deepening and maturing. So a slip of low land like the South of the UK will make little difference to the intensity of the storm and therefore high wind speeds will occur in areas that usually miss the worst.

I’m due on a flight out of Heathrow on Sunday evening... that could be interesting...

duffield

Established Member
Just to make forumites aware..

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/weather

There will be
No services between York and Scotland
No services between Bristol and the South West
No services between Reading and Bournemouth.

Tickets for Sunday are valid on Saturday and Monday.

There will be no seat reservations applied or enforced on Sunday.
Advance ticket restrictions have been lifted for Sunday.

No new reservations are able to be booked for Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Also worth noting that the XC services will be split at Birmingham, and that trains from Derby to Birmingham are diverted via Lichfield, missing out Tamworth, with extended journey times in addition to any due to weather related speed restrictions.

I'm planning to give Nottingham to Birmingham (changing at Derby) and back a go anyhow! (The direct Nottingham to Birmingham trains are terminating at Coleshill Parkway)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
All trains cancelled by TfW on the Cambrian Services. No bus replacements.
Also numerous other cancellations and alterations across Wales.

robbeech

Established Member
To me it looks like operators have been bitten before by this so are now taking massive evasive action to minimise the number of trains stuck should things become tricky.
Advice to not travel is of course sensible although I can see the chaos and aftermath of people being stranded ands TOCs doing nothing to help already.

Aictos

Established Member
Blanket 50mph speed limit will be imposed on the Thameslink network on Sunday.

I can understand the need for a speed restriction on the OHL parts of the TL network as OHL can come down in strong winds but why is a restriction needed on the 3rd rail parts of the TL network?

Established Member
I can understand the need for a speed restriction on the OHL parts of the TL network as OHL can come down in strong winds but why is a restriction needed on the 3rd rail parts of the TL network?
The current rumour is that Network Rail are planning to implement a blanket UK wide 50mph Speed Restriction. More to avoid the damage of hitting debris.

Aictos

Established Member
The current rumour is that Network Rail are planning to implement a blanket UK wide 50mph Speed Restriction. More to avoid the damage of hitting debris.

Like trampolines being blown onto the tracks?

robbeech

Established Member
I'm due in Edinburgh Sunday evening / Monday / Tuesday but its looking like others are voting to postpone so i might get away with it.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
All trains cancelled by TfW on the Cambrian Services. No bus replacements.
Also numerous other cancellations and alterations across Wales.

TFW in a Tweet said "To protect the fleet". Logical, I suppose, considering the trees that will possibly come down.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would postpone if possible. The forecast is not looking great for up here!

Indeed - at the moment whilst the severe weather warnings for the whole of the UK end on Sunday, they continue in Scotland for both Monday and Tuesday adding snow into the mix!

Established Member
LNER timetable has been published. Mostly a hourly London to Edinburgh and a Doncaster to Leeds Shuttle. Timetabled at 8 hours and 37 mins from London to Edinburgh.

robbeech

Established Member
LNER timetable has been published. Mostly a hourly London to Edinburgh and a Doncaster to Leeds Shuttle. Timetabled at 8 hours and 37 mins from London to Edinburgh.
Yes, Retford getting an excellent service as always. Looks like i will have a couple of days off.

_toommm_

Established Member
I notice there are no services on the Cumbrian Coast too. Will there presumably be ticket acceptance with Avanti from Lancaster to Carlisle?

theironroad

Established Member
SWR

Sunday - 50mph blanket speed restriction from 1100-1900 (no geographical restriction posted currently)

Revised timetable for Sunday in process of being compiled, compounded by planned engineering works.

londonmidland

Established Member
I have a gut feeling the orange weather warning will be extended tomorrow by the Met Office, to cover a much larger area, as well as higher predicted gusts.

LeylandLen

Can Admin please include the name of the storm , Ciara, in the thread title to make it easier to search for in years to come , ?
Thanks .. no doubt Sunday will be interesting,!

Status
Not open for further replies.