• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Disruption caused by storm Ciara (February 9th, 10th and 11th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
It's a lovely sunny day here in the south east with barely a breath of wind, perhaps understandably some people are having difficulty comprehending how the weather is going to be so bad tomorrow that trains won't be able to operate. There are football matches scheduled for tomorrow which at the moment are still going ahead. Obviously we don't cope well with extreme weather in this country as we very rarely have any.

I was on Portsmouth briefly this afternoon and it was lovely spring like weather. Blue skies, warm in the bright sun and as calm as a mill pond near the hard.

Maybe a real calm before the storm.....

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'm currently driving over Beattock with the missus and the weather is absolutely shocking already.

I have to make a pretty simple Doncaster to Sheffield journey tomorrow morning- at least something should materialise for that, either a train or the X78...

Roast Veg

Established Member
Oh dear. Called away up north today for an emergency, and need to be back in the office for 9am on Monday...

Edders23

One would hope that Car drivers, would see sense and drive at a slower speed ! but no doubt they won't and still crash into trees, and say it wasn't my fault !

To give you an idea of the attitude of many car drivers I dread snow and ice because when it happens and roads become blocked we get besieged with calls demanding service and huge amounts of abuse because they expect to leave their car at home and the taxis drivers to all risk their lives and vehicles to get them to work,doctors etc. and admit as much over the phone

We can't get about because roads are blocked by stalled cars however the travelling public will not understand or take no for an answer !!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Every time we get news of a storm I always think back to the one we had in 1987 when Michael Fish really did drop one on TV.

The UK has had umpteen storms since then but they all quickly get forgotten about once they are over with.

CJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Edders23

by contrast by the way there is barely a breeze here but the forecast says expect it rough tomorrow and we are getting loads pre-booking to make sure we work !!

Established Member
Unfortunately it's the Michael Fish incident that's caused the hysterical over reaction to tomorrow's anticipated weather. We're going to get some rain and it might be a bit windy for a bit, big deal! That's no excuse for TOCs to fail to provide an adequate service for their customers.
That's your opinion, which you're entitled to no matter how wrong it may be.

GoatSarah

Unfortunately it's the Michael Fish incident that's caused the hysterical over reaction to tomorrow's anticipated weather. We're going to get some rain and it might be a bit windy for a bit, big deal! That's no excuse for TOCs to fail to provide an adequate service for their customers.

storm force 10 gusting violent storm force 11. Coastal communities are used to this but it’s going to be country wide. It will bring trees down and damage property. I took all the sails off my boat today. This is not an overreaction.

Every time we get news of a storm I always think back to the one we had in 1987 when that prat Michael Fish really did drop one on TV.
There is no need to insult someone who was doing their job based upon information they were given. Sad that language like that is acceptable here.

Strathclyder

Established Member
No service on the West Highland or Kyle of Lochalsh Lines from early afternoon tomorrow, with disruption expected on the Glasgow Central - Ardrossan/Largs lines around the times of high tide. Wouldn't be at all surprised if more lines (especially those to/from Wemyss Bay & Helensburgh Central) follow suit. Replacement buses will only be put on if it's deemed safe enough to do so.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/stormciara

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
storm force 10 gusting violent storm force 11. Coastal communities are used to this but it’s going to be country wide. It will bring trees down and damage property. I took all the sails off my boat today. This is not an overreaction.

According to the met office website the average wind speed in my neck of the woods (South Yorkshire) will be a mere 27mph, with the occasional gust of around 50mph. Anyone who seriously thinks an average wind speed of 27mph is "extreme weather" and an excuse to cancel hundreds of trains clearly doesn't understand meteorology.

Howardh

Established Member
In the north-west (england) the Met Office forecast 60mph winds, so gusts will probably be close to 70-80 mph. Enough to send a few advertising hoardings flying!

Howardh

Established Member
According to the met office website the average wind speed in my neck of the woods (South Yorkshire) will be a mere 27mph, with the occasional gust of around 50mph. Anyone who seriously thinks an average wind speed of 27mph is "extreme weather" and an excuse to cancel hundreds of trains clearly doesn't understand meteorology.
Not everybody is in your neck of the woods.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I wonder if the Caledonian Sleeper will be running on Monday evening? I hope so as I’ll be travelling on it...

MadCommuter

Craigendoran looks to be the first casualty. Wires tripping, presumably due to sea water.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Anyone who makes comments like this clearly doesn't understand how weather conditions can vary across relatively short distances and the threat to life such weather can bring to ttrains moving at high speed on the operational railway.

Its one day, make other plans for it. Not a big ask.

GoatSarah

61 knot gusts forecast here in East Anglia. That’s very nearly hurricane force.

Howardh

Established Member
Anyone who makes comments like this clearly doesn't understand how weather conditions can vary across relatively short distances and the threat to life such weather can bring to ttrains moving at high speed on the operational railway.

Its one day, make other plans for it. Not a big ask.
And of course lorries might be prohibited from moving in some areas, although less of an issue on a Sunday.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

When did *Average* winds ever cause problems ? It's the gusts that cause problems.

Veteran Member
The BBC has rather higher figures gusting Force 11 not 9. And it is the Met Office that has issued the amber warning.

Howardh

Established Member
When did *Average* winds ever cause problems ? It's the gusts that cause problems.
In Scotland - Ullapool to be precise - when we were hit by a September hurricane when I think the average speed over three hours was nearly a ton (gusts stronger of course) and it destroyed my camp-site with caravans on that ended up as boats! Was around the early 70's though, I was just a (very frightened) wee laddie!!

Antman

Established Member
There is no need to insult someone who was doing their job based upon information they were given. Sad that language like that is acceptable here.

I totally agree with you, Michael Fish is a gentleman and doesn't deserve that. Hopefully admin will remove the offensive comment.

Metal_gee_man

What's hilarious, when infrastructure is new, with better OHLE than older parts of the network, built on a purpose built path with minimal trees and embankments lining the route it doesn't require any speed restrictions, HS1 has no restrictions and 140mph running is allowed according to SouthEasterns twitter post today
IMG_20200208_185404.jpg

londonmidland

Established Member
Makes me laugh that some people think the warnings and amendments to services is an ‘overreaction’.

It’s all fun and games until a train hits an obstruction on the line...

Better to be safe than sorry I say.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I personally think it’s appalling that TOC’s decide to cancel hundreds of services without A by-your-leave, absolutely shameful...

Weekender

They only have to be right once and this could be the one

Status
Not open for further replies.