• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Disruption caused by storm Ciara (February 9th, 10th and 11th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
I don't. That's what they've signed up to do by issuing tickets. The companies should divide up the bills for hotels between one another, and ensure nobody is left waiting in the cold.

At 2200 we are now quickly getting into the realms of people stranded overnight. There will be some sadly.

Plus people who have a problem with the trainline need to moan at trainline. That's where they have their contract.

The industry said people could get refunds at no cost, or travel on other trains (even the next day). If the trainline has got greedy, or just messed up (same end result) then it's surely just another reason not to be a sheep and give them money.

the issue is Trainline have a very efficient and user friendly refund system on their app. It just takes a few clicks. The problem is people do not realise that this is no good if you want a refund with no admin fee due to disruption as it doesn’t take this into account. They don’t Proactively advertise that you need to contact them manually for this service as, frankly why would they if people use the automatic system and some of them don’t complain that they made lost £10. All in all I don’t think it’s is the fault of Trainline here other than perhaps poor advertisement of the correct procedure.
Avanti still seem to be saying ticket acceptance is after 1200 on their website, yet some posts earlier suggested they've lifted this restriction?

https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/t...uptions/planned-engineering-works/storm-ciara

Generally their website is updated Infrequently. It’s likely that the people that have designed it have gone to bed. School in the morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
And naturally, this sort of thing doesn’t happen in Europe.

Although in a remarkable coincidence, a friend of mine in Muncih is having to make other arrangements tomorrow, as all schools across Bavaria are closed tomorrow, in anticipation of storm ‘Sabine’.

CHAPS2034

Looks like no direct XC between Manchester-Birmingham New St all day tomorrow trains only running upto Birmingham New Street and no further North due to an unstable railway embankment somewhere between Wolverhampton and Stafford, their adising passengers to travel via Tamworth where trains will be making additional stops there to change onto LNWR services from Tamworth to Stoke-On-Trent, so looks like Avanti Trains will be taking up the slack passenger wise from Stoke-Manchester.

One of the MAN XC services will operate according to NRE. Southbound Manchester - Bournemouth going presumably via WCML and Nuneaton to Coventry. Northbound going via New St though and then Nuneaton -Stafford...

Wolverhampton - Stafford

Due to an unstable railway embankment between Wolverhampton and Stafford., all lines are blocked. This will continue throughout tomorrow.

Monday train plan

Southbound:

Manchester - Bristol / Exeter / Paignton services will NOT RUN between Manchester and Birmingham New Street (excluding the 07:05 from Manchester, which is planned to run)

Manchester - Bournemouth services will divert between Stafford and Coventry, not calling at Wolverhampton, Birmingham New Street and Birmingham International.

Passengers for Wolverhampton, change at Stafford for buses. Passengers for Birmingham New Street change at Tamworth.

Northbound

Bournemouth - Manchester services will run normally between Bournemouth and Birmingham New Street, then divert via Nuneaton to Stafford, not calling at Wolverhampton.

Passengers for Wolverhampton, change at Birmingham New Street.

Paignton / Exeter / Bristol - Manchester services will only run up to Birmingham New Street.

Passengers should travel on the xx57 past each hour, or travel to Tamworth and change there for services.

All services which travel through Tamworth will be stopping there tomorrow.

Passengers will be able to use London Northwestern Railway services between Coventry - Birmingham and Tamworth - Stoke.

6Gman

Established Member
I'm a little miffed why they were still selling tickets for trains they knew that would be cancelled. Then expecting customers to either fight for a space on the few modified services running or to claim a refund or travel at a later date. As far as LNER they updated their advice today from an advisory to a firm "DO NOT TRAVEL" when they realised people wasn't taking the hint.

I travelled today. I should have known better so I can't gripe. But what did surprise me is the lack of control the staff had at some stations (Doncaster where I got on is 1) where there was no attempt at limiting the amount of people trying to board already packed services & which practically caused severe overcrowding. In regards to LNER (amongst other) not accepting other ops tickets... wouldn't that have just made the overcrowding of services worse?

If passengers are willing to board why should the staff stop them?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm a little miffed why they were still selling tickets for trains they knew that would be cancelled. Then expecting customers to either fight for a space on the few modified services running or to claim a refund or travel at a later date. As far as LNER they updated their advice today from an advisory to a firm "DO NOT TRAVEL" when they realised people wasn't taking the hint.

Hyperbole alert. How many passengers actually "fight" for space...?

CHAPS2034

Every TOC warned against travelling

No they didn't.

As of now (2223) on 9th, NRE has the following TOCs saying do not travel
Cross Country
Gatwick Express
Great Northern
Hull Trains
LNER
Northern
South Eastern
Southern
Thameslink
TPE
Others either have no service or "Storm Ciara is causing disruption". Except that is for c2c and Eurostar which are showing as "Good service"

voyagerdude220

Established Member
One of the MAN XC services will operate according to NRE. Southbound Manchester - Bournemouth going presumably via WCML and Nuneaton to Coventry. Northbound going via New St though and then Nuneaton -Stafford...

Yet last time I checked, Avanti hadn't warned of alterations to their services which are booked to run Stafford to Birmingham via Wolves and v.v.

Established Member
You say that but there was a possible risk to life caused by falling objects, so while that isn't going to keep everyone locked up indoors (only to find their roof gets torn off, or a tree falls on their house), staying home was probably a good idea as going out DID put everyone in some level of danger from falling objects/debris or simply being caught up in someone else's accident or careless driving etc.

Falling objects and someone else's accident are risks I take when I go out even in the calmest weather. My risk assessment (I always make one before I open the door) was that on the one-mile journey to the station on roads all with a 30 mph speed limit the increased chance that I'd encounter one of them today was so infinitesimal that I could reasonably hope to survive. Of course I hope that no-one dies today from such an occurrence, but even if they already had before I left it's unlikely I would have changed my mind about going out. It was a storm, not a hurricane. I'm not panicking about the coronavirus either.

CHAPS2034

A summary of incidents from NRE to show haw widespread disruption is. I'm sure there are others.

Obviously nothing in Captain Haddock's area....:E

Avanti Current Incidents:

• A landslip between Oxenholme Lake District and Penrith North Lakes. (An inspection will take place during daylight hours).
  • Flooding between Carlisle and Lockerbie. (An inspection will take place during daylight hours).
  • Multiple trees are currently on the tracks in the Penkridge area. As a result of this, all lines are currently blocked. This will continue throughout Monday
  • Damage to the pantograph of a train at Winsford
  • Lancaster railway station is closed for the remainder of the day.
EMR
Derby - Sheffield

There is heavy rain flooding the railway at Clay Cross. This is between Derby and Sheffield and is disrupting trains on the London St Pancras/ Nottingham/ Sheffield route. Trains running through the area in both directions cannot run.

Derby - Crewe

No trains are running on this route for the remainder of the day - No bus replacement is available due to road conditions and alternative train operators have advised not to travel

Liverpool - Nottingham

A bus replacement service is in operation between Stockport and Sheffield. These buses are experiencing delays due to road conditions in this area. Please leave extra time to travel on these services.

Nottingham Station

There is no access to Nottingham station through the main entrance due to severe weather making it unsafe. Please use entrances on Queens Street or Station Street.

Derby Station

The station is currently experiencing significant flooding in the concourse of the station due to the direction of the wind and excessive rainfall. The station remains open at the moment but please take extra care when walking through and avoid using this station if possible.

GWR
On-going incidents:

London Paddington and Maidenhead / Heathrow

Damage to the overhead wires earlier today between London Paddington and Maidenhead / Heathrow Airport. Trains are beginning to return to normal, however, may still be cancelled or delayed whilst service recovers.

Swindon - Cheltenham Spa

Services between Swindon and Cheltenham Spa have been suspended due to the adverse weather. Limited road transport is running between these stations.

Greater Anglia
Current Incidents:

• A tree has fallen onto the overhead electric wires between Elsenham and Audley End. As a result of this all lines are currently blocked. Customers are advised NOT TO TRAVEL. We will have an update at approximately 03:00 as to what level of service can run on Monday.
  • An obstruction on the track between Saxmundham and Beccles is resulting in all lines being blocked between these stations. Customers are advised NOT TO TRAVEL.
  • Trains are now starting to run following a tree on the line at Thetford. Customers are advised NOT TO TRAVEL.
LNER
Ongoing incidents:

• Edinburgh station entry is restricted due to crowd control. Do not attempt to travel to/from Edinburgh Station
  • Severe wind and rain at Doncaster is resulting in some lines being blocked.
  • There is damage to the overhead electric wires between Doncaster and York blocking the northbound line.
Northern
Travelling on Monday 10 February?

Due to flooding trains are unable to run between Leeds and Skipton / Bradford Forster Square.

We will update you here if more routes are affected....

Scotrail
On-going incidents:
Aberdeen to Glasgow / Edinburgh services

Due to the severe weather conditions and safety concerns the rail replacement bus service which was in place between Dundee and Aberdeen have been suspended until further notice. Passengers are advised to make their own alternative arrangements.

Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay

Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay services are suspended. Glasgow Central Wemyss Bay services will terminate and start back from Port Glasgow. Passengers are advised to travel on the Glasgow Central to Gourock services and change at Port Glasgow for Ticket Acceptance which is in place with McGills Buses between Port Glasgow and Wemyss Bay.
Edinburgh - Helensburgh services

Due to poor weather conditions the Edinburgh - Helensburgh services will terminate and start back from Dumbarton Central with a bus shuttle operating betweeen Dumbarton Central and Helensburgh in both directions.

Services are also subject to delay at Bathgate due to flooding with services again passing signals at Danger and there is also a 5mph speed restriction in operation at Blairhill.

Dunblane / Edinburgh services

The following alterations have been put in place between Edinburgh and Stirling;
  • XX05 Edinburgh to Stirling services suspended
  • XX36 Edinburgh to Dunblane services run as scheduled but may be subject to delays
  • XX49 Stirling to Edinburgh services suspended
  • XX01 Dunblane to Edinburgh services run as scheduled but may be subject to delays

Glasgow Central - Largs / Ardrossan services

Train services between Kilwinning and Largs / Ardrossan are currently suspended. Replacement buses are running between Largs and Kilwinning for you to connect with the rail replacement buses that are in place today between Kilwinning and Paisley Gilmour Street due to the engineering works.

Glasgow Queen Street / Edinburgh via Falkirk High

Services between these stations are delayed by up to 15 minutes due to a track circuit failure.

All routes are expected to run as normal apart from the West Highland Line and Inverness - Kyle

TPE
The following routes are currently suspended:

• Preston and Edinburgh/Glasgow Central in both directions due to flooding in various locations. (THIS LINE IS CLOSED FOR THE REST OF THE DAY)
  • Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport in both directions due to a tree on the line. (THIS LINE IS CLOSED FOR THE REST OF THE DAY)

No road replacement transport will be sourced due to safety on the roads.

York - Scarborough
The line has reopened between York and Scarborough following a tree on the line between York and Malton earlier today.

TfW
Current Incidents:

Some lines between Newport and Cwmbran are currently blocked due to a tree on the line.

Trains between Gobowen and Shrewsbury may be cancelled or delayed due to flooding on the railway.

Unfortunately, there will be NO replacement road transport for those routes affected.

WMR

Sunday's storm caused significant damage to the railway infrastructure, primarily due to trees falling onto the overhead power lines.

As a result, the following routes will be closed on Monday while Network Rail engineers carry out emergency repairs:

• Stafford - Penkridge - Wolverhampton
  • Rugeley - Cannock - Walsall

bramling

Veteran Member
Hyperbole alert. How many passengers actually "fight" for space...?

At weekends things can turn nasty, the self-entitled weekend lot are a lot more troublesome than commuters, especially when problems arise.

I’ve certainly seen performances like “make way for *us*, *we* have a *child*” and such like.

So perhaps not as far as fights, but certainly some degree of trouble.

MarkWiles

Storm Ciara may have lived up to its promise in certain parts of the country but here in South Yorkshire I've completely ignored the advice not to travel unless necessary and had a trip into Sheffield and back from Barnsley and experienced no disruption whatsoever.

How sad that we've become such a risk-averse society in which the perceived disruption is far worse than the actual disruption!

In 2014 a two car DMU very nearly got trapped just north of Tonfanau on the Cambrian due to over-topping of the rock armour and track washouts. Yesterday TfW cancelled all services on the Cambrian. Today, Dyfi Junction is flooded and there is beach debris north of Barmouth which would have been a most definite derailment risk. Llanwrst, on the Conwy Valley line, was flooded today in under an hour with water levels worse than previously recorded. Imagine if a "more robust" less risk-averse management's perception of potential disruption had resulted in a train going headlong into beach debris and ending up in the storm whipped seas at Llanaber, or a train which had passed Llanwrst safely earlier on had returned to be incapacitated by what was not a "Snowdonian stream" but the full fury of the River Conwy which had risen by several feet in the hour since the train had been bumbling up to Llandudno.

TfW, Network Rail and those who took the brave decision to stop the job yesterday deserve praise not sneering pity.

Oh, and the Barmouth-Dolgellau road was closed due to the tidal surge, so should Gwynedd Council and Gogplod be castigated for being risk averse?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As of now (2223) on 9th, NRE has the following TOCs saying do not travel
Cross Country
Gatwick Express
Great Northern
Hull Trains
LNER
Northern
South Eastern
Southern
Thameslink
TPE
Others either have no service or "Storm Ciara is causing disruption". Except that is for c2c and Eurostar which are showing as "Good service"
Which is actually only 7 TOCs, as one of them (GTR) is listed four times!

Grand Central is missing, though.

Penmorfa

In 2014 a two car DMU very nearly got trapped just north of Tonfanau on the Cambrian due to over-topping of the rock armour and track washouts. Yesterday TfW cancelled all services on the Cambrian. Today, Dyfi Junction is flooded and there is beach debris north of Barmouth which would have been a most definite derailment risk. Llanwrst, on the Conwy Valley line, was flooded today in under an hour with water levels worse than previously recorded. Imagine if a "more robust" less risk-averse management's perception of potential disruption had resulted in a train going headlong into beach debris and ending up in the storm whipped seas at Llanaber, or a train which had passed Llanwrst safely earlier on had returned to be incapacitated by what was not a "Snowdonian stream" but the full fury of the River Conwy which had risen by several feet in the hour since the train had been bumbling up to Llandudno.

Not rail related but for those of you who know the area, the Miner's Bridge at Betws y Coed has been washed away. This gives some idea of the weather conditions we've had.

https://geotopoi.wordpress.com/2014/09/14/miners-bridge-betws-y-coed/

jon0844

Veteran Member
All but one of wheelie bins remained upright so obviously the industry totally overreacted...

satisnek

Well what an experience it has been today! The primary source of disruption for me has not been the weather, nor bus or train operators, but a random individual.

Firstly, let me describe my normal Sunday journey from the marina back to Kidderminster. I catch the 1445 bus (V3, departing Derby 1415) to Burton (because Willington station has no Sunday service), followed by a quick dash round Sainsbury's and then arrive at Kidderminster at either 1657 or 1733 depending on which train I get from Burton.

Today, mindful of the fact that there were rail replacement buses between Birmingham Snow Hill and Stourbridge Junction, I set off an hour earlier than usual. Shortly after I arrived at the bus stop a car pulled up and the female passenger informed me that there was a tree across the road at Findern and she had seen a bus turn back. "Just so that you won't be waiting for hours." Incidentally, the car was a coupé so they couldn't have given me a lift anyway. So I pondered on my choices, and then decided to walk into Willington to see if the buses were still serving there, as well as there being a 4G signal so that I could see where they were.

Nearing the end of Findern Lane, the bus went past. Clearly not going to Burton since the display had been changed to 'Derby' and it turned right at the end of the lane to head towards the A38. But that would have been fine for me; I just wanted to catch a train to Birmingham. I was spitting teeth! Subsequently checking things out, there were no buses on the Burton side of the route and the 1415 ex-Derby (the one I normally catch) didn't run. Eventually the one after this turned up at around 1550 and I finally got to Burton, after the driver did a 'one-eighty' around Repton Cross and went back through Willington to pick up the A38 - clearly the normal route through Newton Solney was 'out'.

After this it was fairly mundane for the circumstances: a half-hour fester at Burton as the already heavily delayed 1537 clocked up minute by minute (the auto system being completely thrown by the reduced speed the trains were running at), wedged vomiter to New Street via Lichfield (it can't do a 125mph dash on this route anyway), the RRB to Stourbridge Junction (taking an amazingly convoluted route between The Hawthorns and Smethwick Galton Bridge, which are only a few hundred yards apart by rail!) and finally a leisurely saunter to Kidderminster, arriving at around eight o'clock.

Since then I've bought some snap from Captain Cod's, had a bath and been down the pub. And I'm still cursing that bloody woman - for if nothing else I couldn't do my supermarket shopping which will now have to be done after work tomorrow.

Established Member
Avanti Current Incidents:

• A landslip between Oxenholme Lake District and Penrith North Lakes. (An inspection will take place during daylight hours).
  • Flooding between Carlisle and Lockerbie. (An inspection will take place during daylight hours).
A freight train appears to be making its way north through Cumbria heading for Mossend, currently between Oxenholme and Penrith, so presumably they expect the line to be passable at both these incidents.

sharpley

Well what an experience it has been today! The primary source of disruption for me has not been the weather, nor bus or train operators, but a random individual.

Firstly, let me describe my normal Sunday journey from the marina back to Kidderminster. I catch the 1445 bus (V3, departing Derby 1415) to Burton (because Willington station has no Sunday service), followed by a quick dash round Sainsbury's and then arrive at Kidderminster at either 1657 or 1733 depending on which train I get from Burton.

Today, mindful of the fact that there were rail replacement buses between Birmingham Snow Hill and Stourbridge Junction, I set off an hour earlier than usual. Shortly after I arrived at the bus stop a car pulled up and the female passenger informed me that there was a tree across the road at Findern and she had seen a bus turn back. "Just so that you won't be waiting for hours." Incidentally, the car was a coupé so they couldn't have given me a lift anyway. So I pondered on my choices, and then decided to walk into Willington to see if the buses were still serving there, as well as there being a 4G signal so that I could see where they were.

Nearing the end of Findern Lane, the bus went past. Clearly not going to Burton since the display had been changed to 'Derby' and it turned right at the end of the lane to head towards the A38. But that would have been fine for me; I just wanted to catch a train to Birmingham. I was spitting teeth! Subsequently checking things out, there were no buses on the Burton side of the route and the 1415 ex-Derby (the one I normally catch) didn't run. Eventually the one after this turned up at around 1550 and I finally got to Burton, after the driver did a 'one-eighty' around Repton Cross and went back through Willington to pick up the A38 - clearly the normal route through Newton Solney was 'out'.

After this it was fairly mundane for the circumstances: a half-hour fester at Burton as the already heavily delayed 1537 clocked up minute by minute (the auto system being completely thrown by the reduced speed the trains were running at), wedged vomiter to New Street via Lichfield (it can't do a 125mph dash on this route anyway), the RRB to Stourbridge Junction (taking an amazingly convoluted route between The Hawthorns and Smethwick Galton Bridge, which are only a few hundred yards apart by rail!) and finally a leisurely saunter to Kidderminster, arriving at around eight o'clock.

Since then I've bought some snap from Captain Cod's, had a bath and been down the pub. And I'm still cursing that bloody woman - for if nothing else I couldn't do my supermarket shopping which will now have to be done after work tomorrow.
Why on earth did you take the word of some random stranger that a tree had fallen on the road and buses were turning round, 'the car was a coupe so couldn't give me a lift' made me chuckle too. If the info isnt official don't moan when it turns out to be bad

Roast Veg

Established Member
Storm Ciara may have lived up to its promise in certain parts of the country but here in South Yorkshire I've completely ignored the advice not to travel unless necessary and had a trip into Sheffield and back from Barnsley and experienced no disruption whatsoever.
Lucky you! I had a 3 hour (by the VSTP timetable) journey become a 6 hour one, and I only traveled some way north/south of South Yorks.

MDB1images

A freight train appears to be making its way north through Cumbria heading for Mossend, currently between Oxenholme and Penrith, so presumably they expect the line to be passable at both these incidents.

Was doing well but seems to have been delayed around Penrith.

jb66

My 0617 train from Edinburgh Haymarket to Carlisle is cancelled, I think its going to be a fight to get on the next one so will go back a stop and try and get on at waverly rather than haymarket to have a chance! Wish me luck

Bantamzen

Established Member
Nothing running towards Leeds on either the Aire or Wharfe routes today due to flooding at Kirkstall Forge / Bridge, with passengers advised to go via Bradford. And over on the Calder Valley route the first Leeds-Manchester is crawling through Sowerby Bridge & Mytholmroyd (lost 18 already) so either it running slowly to check the line or there is an issue. Either way, my commute to Leeds is not happening today, especially with a weather warning for snow later on. So working from home it is!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Perhaps I was inaccurate in comparing a weather forecast to a horoscope but the fact remains that a weather forecast is just a prediction and they can get it wrong !

How sad that we've become such a risk-averse society in which the perceived disruption is far worse than the actual disruption!

Fair comment for a local trip from Barnsley just a few minutes down the track to Sheffield. Not really representative of the country though, or even the county.

SteveM70

Established Member
And over on the Calder Valley route the first Leeds-Manchester is crawling through Sowerby Bridge & Mytholmroyd (lost 18 already) so either it running slowly to check the line or there is an issue.

The first two trains westbound (at least) required to run at 20mph max from Milner Royd to Charlestown. Also the 615 HBD had a brief stop just outside Summit tunnel. Just arrived at MCV 17 late

dk1

Veteran Member
Although there are major problems I am surprised theres not even more disruption this morning. I'm hoping to get from East Anglia to the West Midlands and it's not looking too bad (hope I've not talked trouble up). I was expecting to abandon and had written off the cost of tonight's hotel :lol: Let's give it a go then.

Tim_UK

Are they? I've been a train guard for a few years now and I've always been told that in the event of a total collapse of the train service any ticket should be passed and the customer shouldn't be penalised, IE CSL2 (customer service level 2, a relaxation of ticket restrictions and theoretical ramp up of customer service staff availability, on call managers to attend etc) which I think pretty much every operator has declared today.

LNER very friendly on ticket acceptance today. Out of Kings Cross. With a super off peak. I asked the train manager before I got on and they said 'It's fine` Another member of ticket checking staff also saying along the lines of 'I should really charge you extra, but its fine today'

(Advantage of a a 91 set - train managers office in the back of the DVT. I know where to go and ask. I haven't been on enough new trains to know where the staff hang out. )

Status
Not open for further replies.