• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Just wondering how today's wet weather in some places is affecting the rail services in various areas, I know according to National Rail the Atherton Line in Greater Manchester is shut due to flooding, just wondering whether its bad anywhere else

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
ScotRail have withdrawn Glasgow Central-Motherwell and Glasgow Queen St-Cumbernauld services due to flooding.

Edinburgh-North Berwick and Glasgow Queen St-Falkirk Grahamston services also disrupted.

ushawk

Established Member
No northbound service on the Hertford Loop because of a tree on the overhead lines. Also a tree on the overhead lines at Silver Street affecting GA services to Enfield and Cheshunt.

Oh and an earlier tree on the line at Warminster. All fun and games down in the South too !!

marks87

Established Member
The Edinburgh/North Berwick flooding is at Prestonpans, which is impacting on CrossCountry and East Coast as well - delays of up to 40 minutes.

There's also now a signalling problem between Glasgow Central and East Kilbride.

tsr

Established Member
There are signs of track circuit problems between Reading and Guildford due to rather wet conditions, but this appears to only be causing minor delays.

VTPreston_Tez

National Rail Twitter link

Reports (as seen in the link above) are in about flooding at Lostock and that one line is available for use. Replacement buses are being called in Bolton-Leyland (seriously), Bolton-Westhoughton-Wigan, and Wigan-Southport/Kirby.

Looks like a tough job especially with Leyland buses. Anyone know why these buses aren't extended to Preston where the bulk of travellers at this time are going? Or are we going to see a VT first with all services calling at Leyland to make up as well as a couple of Leyland terminators from the North? To me it looks like the only way.

Established Member
Is there a problem with drainage at Glasgow Queen St or the approaches?
I have been delayed more than once due to flooding in the area.
Any plans known about curing it?

Queen Street is of course at the bottom of quite a gradient, so drainage must be an issue.

XC and EC now delayed upto 120 minutes due to flooding and a landslip at Prestonpans. Northern are suffering problems due to flooding at Atherton, Bolton (might be same as Atherton) and Walsden.

ushawk

Established Member
Looks like a tough job especially with Leyland buses. Anyone know why these buses aren't extended to Preston where the bulk of travellers at this time are going? Or are we going to see a VT first with all services calling at Leyland to make up as well as a couple of Leyland terminators from the North? To me it looks like the only way.

Without knowing about it, at a guess they might not of had a huge amount of buses, so it might of been better to turn them there and get them back along the route to Bolton, reducing the wait for the buses.

Established Member
Attached is a picture of the line near Walsden, W Yorks last night. I'm not working a train to Leeds today now!

Attachments

• tod.jpg
    tod.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 258

cuccir

Established Member
According to NRE, animals on the line between Durham and Darlo. I'm gonna guess some cows escaping a flooding field!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Im waiting for the wrong type of rain comments in the press.
Why didnt northern design trains that are also boats?? so stupid isnt it?

Manadged to get out of keswick and over the pennines just ahead of all this trouble, as i left the lakes the waterfalls were huge and the lake was overflowing but the roads despite being flooded in places were passable. In skipton the river aire was about 1m off the top of the road embankment, and about 3m from flooding the aire valley line.

marks87

Established Member
WCML north of Carlisle:

AwEB1XUCMAA2cEO.jpg

harz99

Last evening I was due to be on the Tpex 1816 MAN - CAR connecting to the VT 2025 to LOC. The 1816 train did not run and MAN platform 13/14 was complete chaos with no information as to how pax wishing to get to stations to PRE or beyond were supposed to do so.

Tpex had no staff on hand anywhere in MAN to give advice and all the Northern staff could say was wait for announcements.

Finally everyone was advised to travel via an ATW service to WBQ and change there.

On arrival at WBQ around 2040, it transpired that nobody had informed either the WBQ station staff or Virgin Control of the fact there would be many intending pax wishing to get to stations that the next and final train either did not stop at or did not serve (LOC, MTH and EDB).

I don't normally go out of my way to praise VT station staff, nor their ontrain staff as I find many of them regard pax as an inconvenience rather than their raison d'etre. However last night, both the prompt action of the man at WBQ in contacting Virgin Control to arrange special stops on the 2115 GLC service at LOC and MTH, and the efforts of the Train Manager on that service to communicate the special stops to his pax followed up by getting details from all that needed to travel onwards from GLC across towards EDB so that coaches and the like could be arranged deserve high praise indeed - very well done to all the VT staff concerned.

Eventual arrival at LOC was approx 2325 vice my own schedule of 2043, but at least I slept in my own bed! I would guess that the unfortunate EDB pax would have got there about 0130 today vice 2139 last night.

ushawk

Established Member
AwEZnxOCEAEUSlG.jpg:large

Picture posted by Network Rail on Twitter of the flooding and landslide on the ECML yesterday evening at Prestonpans.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

Firstly my thoughts are with any member of this forum who has been affected by the flooding on Friday night in parts of northern England.

The National Rail website informs there are no trains between Dumfries, Glasgow and Edinburgh to Carlisle. The NR site says water is as deep as 5m in places and have put up this photo as a link: going by the filename of the picture the photo seems to be from the Carlisle area:

Carlisle_Flooding.jpg

Dave

michael769

Established Member
https://p.twimg.com/AwEZnxOCEAEUSlG.jpg:large

Picture posted by Network Rail on Twitter of the flooding and landslide on the ECML yesterday evening at Prestonpans.

The scarey thing is that they were running trains (albiet at walking pace) along the visible line last night!

I have to say that Network rail have upped their game in terms of communications during major incidents this year!

West Calder Station currently has a pump running at one end of the platform to stop water welling up from (what I presume to be) a field drain getting onto the track. The local council has agreed to sacrifice the playing fields in a nearby school so they are pumping the water onto them and they are getting pretty waterlogged now.

They were starting the pump while I was waiting for the train yesterday morning and even then there was standing water in the four foot near the drain - though that had cleared up today so the pump is doing the job..

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Hi all,

Firstly my thoughts are with any member of this forum who has been affected by the flooding on Friday night in parts of northern England.

The National Rail website informs there are no trains between Dumfries, Glasgow and Edinburgh to Carlisle. The NR site says water is as deep as 5m in places and have put up this photo as a link: going by the filename of the picture the photo seems to be from the Carlisle area:
Yeah, that's right by Carlisle Castle to the north of the station, just where the railway crosses the River Eden. As is the other Carlisle photo further up the thread.

Established Member
Carlisle is normally one of the first places to flood as soon as there is some sort of heavy, persistent rain. Weather forecast is saying that more is on the way.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I'm walking Hadrians Wall national trail next week and will be crossing the WCML somewhere near Carlisle next Friday! Can't see us getting to the Solway if its flooded like that.

tsr

Established Member
West Calder Station currently has a pump running at one end of the platform to stop water welling up from (what I presume to be) a field drain getting onto the track. The local council has agreed to sacrifice the playing fields in a nearby school so they are pumping the water onto them and they are getting pretty waterlogged now.

They were starting the pump while I was waiting for the train yesterday morning and even then there was standing water in the four foot near the drain - though that had cleared up today so the pump is doing the job..

Yes, I had imagined West Calder could get hit due to the way the drains and land lie. I've been to the station and through the area by car a good few times in, shall we say, varied weather!

marks87

Established Member
I should say that was Network Rail's pic and not mine; I was posting from my phone this morning, so brevity was very much the order of the day!

12CSVT

Established Member
According to NRE, animals on the line between Durham and Darlo. I'm gonna guess some cows escaping a flooding field!

This delayed quite a few people on their way to the Wenslydale Railway diesel gala as the 06:15 Kings Cross - Edinburgh was stuck outside Northallerton for about 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.