• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption, 19/09 (Storm Ali)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccir

Established Member
Total loss of services today on the ECML in the north east - overhead power lines are down on the ECML near Durham, actually collapsing over the A690 road at Lanley Moor and shutting that too. Lots of trees blocking the line north of Newcastle. The last train to go through Durham was at 13:49. Last service to go past Berwick was at 13:30 - that was an Aberdeen to Kings Cross service which according to real time trains was stuck for an hour between Manors and Newcastle Central, where it was terminated just over 2 hours late.

No service expected between York and Edinburgh for the rest of the day but I believe some Newcastle-Kings Cross trains are running via the Durham Coast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kieran1990

TPE are heavily delayed this evening due to the above.
I’m on the 17:02 Man-Vic-Newcastle now terminating at York running 35/36L.
Guard has advised no trains to Newcastle north of York. TPE are running a limited service between York-Darlo/Middlesbrough. Also informed no rail replacement coaches.
Hope people get home ok/ to there destinations.

herb21

Scotland is complete chaos. I think they are now managing 2tph between Edinburgh and Glasgow but that is about it.

Veteran Member
Scotrail major disruption according to them.

Staying at Glenfinnan ATM so missed the worst but pretty bad. Mallaig to Fort William is now running after a fashion - eastbound Jacobite was delayed at Mallaig for nearly 2 hours, I presume for safety reasons. Just driven from Ft Wm (storm having eased slightly) and several smallish trees down along Loch Eil.

Scotrail84

Established Member
What is the issue with the WCML between Preston ad Scotland? Assuming its OHL related?

_toommm_

Established Member
Anyone any idea or hazard a guess on whether this will be ok tomorrow? Due to travel up to WCML on TPE from Man. Picc. to Glasgow, then down the ECML via Edinburgh to Doncaster in the evening.

MDB1images

Anyone any idea or hazard a guess on whether this will be ok tomorrow? Due to travel up to WCML on TPE from Man. Picc. to Glasgow, then down the ECML via Edinburgh to Doncaster in the evening.

If a weather warning is in place tomorrow (I've no idea if it is)I'd expect a restricted service plus all services will be heavy on both East and West as many people abandoned journeys today.
ECML will need wires repairing as I believe they have been brought down near Durham
Trees on track/overheads on WCML near Lockerbie may be easier to clear but I'd check Network Rail Scotland Twitter account plus TPE and LNER tomorrow before opting to go.

Total loss of services today on the ECML in the north east - overhead power lines are down on the ECML near Durham, actually collapsing over the A690 road at Lanley Moor and shutting that too. Lots of trees blocking the line north of Newcastle. The last train to go through Durham was at 13:49. Last service to go past Berwick was at 13:30 - that was an Aberdeen to Kings Cross service which according to real time trains was stuck for an hour between Manors and Newcastle Central, where it was terminated just over 2 hours late.

No service expected between York and Edinburgh for the rest of the day but I believe some Newcastle-Kings Cross trains are running via the Durham Coast.
My partner was on that service from Berwick it sat at Newcastle for a long time then carried on via Sunderland etc she has just got to Doncaster after setting off at 1330 now waiting for a bus back to Barnsley,.I told her she was lucky to get back and good job it was a 125.

Kieran1990

TP now stating on there site no trains tomorrow between York-Newcastle due to the fuzzy knitting coming down at Durham

Dren Ahmeti

I can give a timeline from what I know and what I can see:
1300 - XC suspended between GLC and EDB (Glasgow - Edinburgh)
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG last to depart GLC.
1S35 0730 BHM-GLC first to terminate at EDB.
1330 - OLE issues reported between Fenham and Chathill
1S10 0930 KGX-EDB reported loss of line light at Little Mill LC (just north of Alnmouth).
1S39 0745 RDG-GLC held at NCL.
1340 - Tree falls on the line at Kenilworth
1O16 1127 MAN-BMH removes it.
1O18 1227 MAN-BMH diverts via Solihull.
1350 - Tree falls on train between Fenny Compton and Leamington Spa
1S49 1146 SOU-DEE delayed by 20 minutes due to a tree falling on the train; eventually terminates at LDS.
1400 - XC service suspension extended to Newcastle
1410 - Train strikes tree; brings down OLE
4N80 1126 Doncaster Down Decoy Gbrf to North Blyth Gbrf strikes a tree at Tursdale Junction, south of DHM; bringing down the OLE.
XC service suspension extended to York.
- Yet another strike!
1S09 0900 KGX-EDB strikes OLE at Grantshouse; declared a failure.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB trapped "on block" with no route available to Newcastle.
1455 - XC implements a "reduced train plan" between BHM-SHF-YRK.
1630 - XC cancels all trains between YRK-NCL for the rest of the day.
1800 - Some extremely late XC trains!
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG arrives at EDB 233L.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB released from BWK 290L.
1810 - Train recovery starts
1S09 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates EDB 338L.
1S10 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates ALM 283L.
4N80 remains at site.
1955 - Update from Durham
Railway reopens for diesel traffic only, over the Up Line.
1E56 1324 EXD-NCL shunts clear of end bay at YRK, leaves 36L; eventually terminates at NCL.

And that's what I have so far, painstakingly typed up by hand! :)

matacaster

On Moderation
East coast, West coast and TPE in northern england towards the borders have been out of action for much of the day. Whilst i believe there was a tree in s&c line early on, it was running ok last time I looked, yet it is not even suggested as a route one where tickets would be accepted.TPE said don't travel. Of course none of the above toc's can be bothered to plan to use the s&c in an emergency.

Scotrail84

Established Member
East coast, West coast and TPE in northern england towards the borders have been out of action for much of the day. Whilst i believe there was a tree in s&c line early on, it was running ok last time I looked, yet it is not even suggested as a route one where tickets would be accepted.TPE said don't travel. Of course none of the above toc's can be bothered to plan to use the s&c in an emergency.

Not sure what companies have that as a diversionary route. The CS definitely can’t go that way.

Disruption for us on the S&C too!

My 1049 Leeds - Carlisle left Leeds 40 late due to a tree on the overheads at Apperley Junction. Then got to Settle Junction where we were held for almost 30 minutes due to a freight train occupying the line ahead of us. Got as far as Helwith Bridge where we hit a tree on the line. Said tree which was wedged under the front of our train very nearly got hit by a train coming the other way which stopped inches short of it thankfully. 10 mins later the drivers of both trains removed the tree and on we went. By this point we were approximately 80 late. Then onwards as far as Long Marton where we hit another tree on the line and delayed us by about 5 mins. Then on to Lazonby where we sat for 61 minutes whilst chainsaw crews removed a large tree off the line further north. Eventually got on our way 156 late and got as far as Low House, where we were cautioned for tree debris, then hit a final tree not far after Cumwhinton.

We eventually got to Carlisle 167 minutes late!

Then I got 9M54 back to Preston and across to Colne, which thankfully was uneventful!

CCD8C337-768C-4A76-B037-CE11C3843AFF.jpeg

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I can give a timeline from what I know and what I can see:
1300 - XC suspended between GLC and EDB (Glasgow - Edinburgh)
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG last to depart GLC.
1S35 0730 BHM-GLC first to terminate at EDB.
1330 - OLE issues reported between Fenham and Chathill
1S10 0930 KGX-EDB reported loss of line light at Little Mill LC (just north of Alnmouth).
1S39 0745 RDG-GLC held at NCL.
1340 - Tree falls on the line at Kenilworth
1O16 1127 MAN-BMH removes it.
1O18 1227 MAN-BMH diverts via Solihull.
1350 - Tree falls on train between Fenny Compton and Leamington Spa
1S49 1146 SOU-DEE delayed by 20 minutes due to a tree falling on the train; eventually terminates at LDS.
1400 - XC service suspension extended to Newcastle
1410 - Train strikes tree; brings down OLE
4N80 1126 Doncaster Down Decoy Gbrf to North Blyth Gbrf strikes a tree at Tursdale Junction, south of DHM; bringing down the OLE.
XC service suspension extended to York.
- Yet another strike!
1S09 0900 KGX-EDB strikes OLE at Grantshouse; declared a failure.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB trapped "on block" with no route available to Newcastle.
1455 - XC implements a "reduced train plan" between BHM-SHF-YRK.
1630 - XC cancels all trains between YRK-NCL for the rest of the day.
1800 - Some extremely late XC trains!
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG arrives at EDB 233L.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB released from BWK 290L.
1810 - Train recovery starts
1S09 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates EDB 338L.
1S10 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates ALM 283L.
4N80 remains at site.
1955 - Update from Durham
Railway reopens for diesel traffic only, over the Up Line.
1E56 1324 EXD-NCL shunts clear of end bay at YRK, leaves 36L; eventually terminates at NCL.

And that's what I have so far, painstakingly typed up by hand! :)

Your patience is appreciated. Great summary

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not sure what companies have that as a diversionary route. The CS definitely can’t go that way.

The S & C is no longer a diversionary route since VTWC withdrew retention of route knowledge. In any case, a Diesel Loco would have to be sourced to drag a Pendolino or worked by a 221.

Status
Not open for further replies.