• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption - Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
Line at Chartham unlikely to open until Sunday at least. Looks more like it'll open on Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Line at Chartham unlikely to open until Sunday at least. Looks more like it'll open on Monday.

There goes my plan to make use of the South Eastern £10 return to go down to Margate

If that line is out of action, is it possible for the engineering works between Ashford and Dover to be pushed back?

Edit - Just checked the southeastern website and it appears they have been rescheduled for Saturday, but not Sunday, not calling at stations in between Ashford & Ramsgate (so going fast via Dover)?

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
There goes my plan to make use of the South Eastern £10 return to go down to Margate

If that line is out of action, is it possible for the engineering works between Ashford and Dover to be pushed back?

Edit - Just checked the southeastern website and it appears they have been rescheduled for Saturday, but not Sunday, not calling at stations in between Ashford & Ramsgate (so going fast via Dover)?

I'm not too sure what's happening at the moment, sorry. Someone else may know more. Looks like on Saturday services are diverted between Ashford and Ramsgate via Dover, non stop, with the HS continuing to Margate. I'm unsure what will happen Sunday. Could well mean no direct trains from Ramsgate area to London at all.

Best to check nearer the time though. Website saying the route via Canterbury West will be closed until Sunday morning at least, but Twitter team reporting that they're waiting for confirmation from Network Rail for an estimate of when the line will reopen. They say they hope to have services up and running on Monday.

As a slight aside, the army were on scene earlier helping NR with sandbags to prevent further flooding. Lots of water still.

BhAnj5gIcAAFpfD.jpg

@Se_railway

BhAquLbCAAAVE_E.jpg

@NetworkRail

Kite159

Veteran Member
I will check the website tomorrow evening to see if the trains are running non-stop between Ashford and Ramsgate via Dover.

The army are great.

Goatboy

Established Member
Any news on Bridgwater? Not much seems to have been said about it really - everyone is very focused on Dawlish but frankly even if they finished Dawlish tommorrow half the train services from the SW still couldnt operate properly so it seems odd that it barely gets a mention.

Any expected timescales for re-opening Bridgwater?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Last I heard (several days ago) the water was still rising and they couldn't even assess the damage until it had gone down. I've a feeling Dawlish will be sorted before this one.

455driver

Veteran Member
I've a feeling Dawlish will be sorted before this one.

So do I, there could be anything (or nothing) under the water and until it receeds enough for the track and formation to be assessed any timescales given will be an uneducated guess.

user15681

Established Member
Was open today with a 5 mph speed limit over the affected part. Hopefully a couple photos I took from the window of the train come out fine.

5mph suggests that the water level is now below the railhead but still above the base of the rail.

P.s I wouldn't be sure about the photos! ;) I tried to take some pictures of a landslide at 5mph and they were pretty poor, although they were taken on a phone.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
So do I, there could be anything (or nothing) under the water and until it receeds enough for the track and formation to be assessed any timescales given will be an uneducated guess.

Network Rail estimate that the line will be opened sometime in March, but as you say that can't be much more than a guess until the damage can be assessed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some good news for the Paington branch line. As of tomorrow Paignton-Newton Abbot shuttles will run twice an hour from roughly 0600-2000.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I read in a Scottish Sunday newspaper that Network Rail bosses have been called to appear before the Transport Secretary to state why the line was washed away at Dawlish and other routes in the South and West of England were closed. He must have water on his brain if he doesn't know the answer himself.

sonic2009

Established Member
TEW:1717425 said:

Network Rail estimate that the line will be opened sometime in March, but as you say that can't be much more than a guess until the damage can be assessed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some good news for the Paington branch line. As of tomorrow Paignton-Newton Abbot shuttles will run twice an hour from roughly 0600-2000.

How are they achieving 2tph?

tsr

Established Member
A tree was run over by an Up direction train (1F59) near Plumpton at around 1955 this evening, and this is blocking both lines. I guess the tree may have been weakened by the recent severe weather, and there have been one or two moderate wind gusts in the area tonight. Apparently the train has continued for at least a short distance with the tree lodged underneath, so I don't know what sort of damage it caused, but I'm guessing it will be down to good luck if there's not been much. NR have had the traction current isolated & the debris should be in the process of being cut out as I type.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Water Levels have dropped below track level on the Somerset Levels, however, track needs to be cleared of debris, signalling equipment replaced, earthworks and track repair work needs to be carried out before any kind of service can operate over the affected section

EDIT: To re-open 7th March

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
Water Levels have dropped below track level on the Somerset Levels
I find that very surprising as I took this (very foreshortened) photo looking north from Bankland, near North Newton only last Thursday.

Attachments

• 013 (800x600).jpg
    013 (800x600).jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 126

Rich McLean

Established Member
I find that very surprising as I took this (very foreshortened) photo looking north from Bankland, near North Newton only last Thursday.

Water levels have gone down, but not all of it yet. March 7th is a target date

Lockwood

_73247893_botley012.jpg

BBC News / Network Rail

Am I reading the signs right?
After driving through the giant pit, you are allowed to run at line speed again?

D1009

Established Member
Water levels have gone down, but not all of it yet. March 7th is a target date
Following the pic in post#1428 taken last Thursday, I've been back there today. Clearly the water level has receded significantly in the space of a week, presumably the Dutch pumps are having an effect. The same area flooded last year, though obviously not to track level, and it seemed like months before there ws any significant reduction in the level.

Does anyone know what damage may be expected to the track as a result of being under water for so long?

Attachments

• 002 (800x599).jpg
    002 (800x599).jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
The track itself should be okay but as for the embankment its sat on and the signalling, relays, wiring etc its anyones guess. Expect the worst (it all needs to be replaced) but hope for the best (it just needs drying out).

Rich McLean

Established Member
The track itself should be okay but as for the embankment its sat on and the signalling, relays, wiring etc its anyones guess. Expect the worst (it all needs to be replaced) but hope for the best (it just needs drying out).

It will be a track and Signaling renewal job for sure. I doubt that target will be met somehow

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Some of the ballast and the supporting earthworks might have been washed away if the water was moving with any sort of speed (I think at one point the wind was whipping up some fairly large waves). However this would be fairly easy to put back unless there is a really big breach. Signalling is almost certainly the item that will determine the date of restoration of service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What's the latest situation with Dawlish, looking at the forecast for the week ahead it looks like work could start in earnest (if not already) and milder weather is forecast next week which could help I suppose

Suggest you have a read of the "Dawlish Seawall Collapse" thread on this Board specially created to discuss the topic on. There is an abundance of news and information together with pictures there.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The reopening of the Hastings line following landslips has been pushed back:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/71111.aspx

Landslips between Robertsbridge and Battle are causing disruption on the line between Tonbridge and Hastings.

Pictures of the landslip can be seen here and here.
The line between Robertsbridge and Battle is closed and trains are unable to run. Engineers are working to repair the damage.
Unfortunately the line will not re-open tomorrow, Monday 3 March, as had been expected - waterlogged ground conditions have hampered Network Rail's work to complete the track repair.
The following changes will apply on Sunday 2 March and Monday 3 March:
London - Robertsbridge: A train service will run.
Robertsbridge - Battle: Replacement bus services will run.
Battle - Hastings: Shuttle train services will run

Alternative travel options
Passengers may use:
Southern services between Hastings and Ashford International
High Speed services to and from Ashford International
London Underground services between Kings Cross / St Pancras, Victoria and London Bridge

Car parking tickets will be accepted at any station car parks between Frant and Robertsbridge.

Twitter hashtag: #HastingsLine

Not the best news, but it is nie to see a Twitter hashtag that isn't totally generic.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Bridgwater - Taunton re-opening target date is now April 7th

Interesting.... so actually the disruption there is now as bad as Dawlish.... Is that full reopening? I was under the impression we may get some pilot working between now and then for a limited amount of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.