• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather-Related Disruption (Dec 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT_Valenta

Could be experiencing more weather disruption here in the SW over the next 24Hrs. Met Office have issued a severe weather warning for rain over the next few hours. 20 - 40mm rain is expected.

No disruption reported from FGW/XC as of yet. But it is veeeeeeeerrrry wet! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lj9090

SWML closed at Sway again, SWT have been pretty quick to lay replacement busses on.

eta: although I didn't actually look to see if there actually were any buses. Took my bike back home and having a look at twitter now it's quite possible there might not be any...

Last edited:

Kali

Red flood warnings on the Axe all night, so here we go again, I wouldn't be booking on the WoE line - it's rained for 24hrs already & today's forecast is heavy all day.

Monty

Established Member
Not a good day to be in SWT land at all, to summarise:

-Power supply problems between Aldershot and Alton is forcing SWT a hourly shuttle between Farnham and Alton, other trains are subject to delay and cancellation at short term notice. Local Stagecoach Buses are accepting rail tickets however.

-Owing to Flooding between Brockenhurst and Bournemouth all lines in that area are blocked, services from Waterloo will terminate and start back at Southampton Central. A shuttle service will operate between Bournemouth and Weymouth. SWT are attempting to source alternative road transport and parking restrictions in the area have been lifted. FGW will accept tickets between Weymouth and London Paddington. SWT and XC have agreed on mutual ticket acceptance on local buses between Brockenhurst and Bournemouth.

-Waterloo's 'peak house subway' is also closed due to flooding.

-Flooding between Eastleigh and Fareham all lines are blocked, trains may be delayed or diverted via Netley at short notice. Botley and Hedge End will not be served. Buses will be arranged to operate between Fareham and Eastleigh calling at Hedge End and Botley. Waterloo to Portsmouth services via Basingstoke will be diverted via St Denys.

-Network Rail are monitoring water levels between Yeovil and Exeter due to the ground being described as 'saturated', services are still running for now. More when known.

It does not make for good reading I fear and it could be a very tough day for all involved.

Last edited:

fgwtt1988

I've heard they're going to try and closed the WoE line west of Yeovil Junction due to the floods from midday today now, apparently the floods are getting really bad and they're getting too worried about running trains over Broom XC, between Axminster and Chard Junc, where it washed out last time a few weeks back! Great... :|

Monty

Established Member
It's only a matter of time until they close it, just had a message reporting flooding near Yeovil. The closed sections of the SWML are not expected to reopen until 1800 earliest but I suspect we could have an 'until end of service' scenario today. Also FGW are reporting signalling issues between Southall and Slough, SWT have agreed to accept FGW passengers from Reading to Waterloo via Staines. Not a good day chaps.

lj9090

The closed sections of the SWML are not expected to reopen until 1800 earliest but I suspect we could have an 'until end of service' scenario today.

Ah... think I might get one of the busses then! Was holding out for trains starting up again... a bit hopeful though as it hasn't stopped raining yet.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Well I travel to Plymouth tomorrow from Oxford, I have this funny feeling Cowley Bridge Jnc will be flooded again tomorrow, involving in bustitution. I also don't expect to board my booked train either if problems occur, due to a tight connection at Reading

Ho Ho Ho

bnm

Established Member
The Newquay and Looe branches in Cornwall have been closed due to flooding. Replacement road transport is in operation until further notice.

Monty

Established Member
Just to confirm guys the WoE mainline is now closed between Yeovil Junction and Exeter St David's due to flooding, the Chessington branch is also severely disrupted due to a broken rail at Tolworth. Last I head the trains were being diverted to Hampton Court.

Kali

Hasn't been spectacularily rainy ( last time I looked out it'd actually stopped, but I can hear it again now ), I suspect we won't have Cowley washed out again but the Culm valley might flood out as it usually does which is effectively the same section of line...

Saturday might be a different story.

philjo

Established Member
Latest Met Office weather warnings has yellow warning for heavy rain for most of UK for 00:05 Saturday until 06:00 sunday. amber warning in the south west. (only mainly North-west england/north wales and parts of East Anglia are the areas outside the current weather warnings)
Yellow warning across southern England & south/mid wales (basically anywhere south of a line from the Wash to Aberystwyth) for Christmas Eve (00:05 to 18:00) (amber warning for the south west)

Monty

Established Member
A update though unfortunately it's not good news, the 'flooding' between Eastleigh and Fareham is now a landslip. Line closed until further notice. :/

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Latest Met Office weather warnings has yellow warning for heavy rain for most of UK for 00:05 Saturday until 06:00 sunday. amber warning in the south west. (only mainly North-west england/north wales and parts of East Anglia are the areas outside the current weather warnings)
Yellow warning across southern England & south/mid wales (basically anywhere south of a line from the Wash to Aberystwyth) for Christmas Eve (00:05 to 18:00) (amber warning for the south west)
Torrential rain in the Wrexham area from mid morning to 2 pm today, just travelled back on a road(small) from Legacy to Gwynfryn, metaled road lifted in many places by floodwater now closed.
Its as bad as it gets. This area is very near the main line to Salop,would not be surprised to see the line closed at Gobowen

ushawk

Established Member
A update though unfortunately it's not good news, the 'flooding' between Eastleigh and Fareham is now a landslip. Line closed until further notice. :/

The line there floods incredibly easily, usually closed whenever there's heavy rain !!!

tsr

Established Member
There is one particular strengthening torrential rain cell in the English Channel which might well affect Southampton, Portsmouth and/or nearby areas. There are a few other areas in a subsequent band of showers which may also become disruptive. In other words, there's more to come for some! :s

Rich McLean

Established Member
Not looking forward to travelling tomorrow. I am willing to take bets at the chances I will end up on a Bus/Coach at somepoint between Reading and Plymouth

Captain Chaos

Not looking forward to travelling tomorrow. I am willing to take bets at the chances I will end up on a Bus/Coach at somepoint between Reading and Plymouth

I'll take flooding between Dawlish and Newton Abott causing problems tomorrow. Or Hele and Bradninch. Always popular locations for flooding.

embers25

Established Member
Does anyone knwo if fGW are taking SWT tickets from London to Exeter as they are taking them from Pad to Weymouth but nothing about Exeter anywhere and given SWT only have 12 buses for the whole Yeovil to Exeter service that won't exactly work...although 12 is impressive at short notice!

Rich McLean

Established Member
Does anyone knwo if fGW are taking SWT tickets from London to Exeter as they are taking them from Pad to Weymouth but nothing about Exeter anywhere and given SWT only have 12 buses for the whole Yeovil to Exeter service that won't exactly work...although 12 is impressive at short notice!

Not at the moment, as FGW have major problems of their own, and the priority is to sort that out first.

Monty

Established Member
Latest message says "FGW will take passengers via any reasonable route until further notice." So I would say yes, though I've not not looked at SWT's website or Twitter page. If you can I would double check on your phone and show any FGW staff if you are challenged.

bnm

Established Member
Latest message says "FGW will take passengers via any reasonable route until further notice." So I would say yes, though I've not not looked at SWT's website or Twitter page. If you can I would double check on your phone and show any FGW staff if you are challenged.

embers25 was enquiring about SWT ticket acceptance on FGW, not vice versa.

On the West of England Main Line between London and Exeter SWT haven't said that they'll allow their ticket holders to travel with FGW, so at the moment it appears to be train to Yeovil Junction then bus to Exeter.

The last thing FGW want at the moment is more passengers rolling up at Paddington. They've got enough to deal with already!

Of course if you've got an 'Any Permitted' ticket to Exeter then you've got a choice. Heavy delays between Paddington and Reading but a train all the way, or train to Yeovil from Waterloo then a bus. Take your pick....

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
According to the SWT website, the line between Exeter and Yeovil has reopened -

Yeovil Junction and Exeter St Davids

The line has now re-opened to train traffic.
The first train down to Exeter St Davids from Yeovil Junction will be the 16:41 train service from Yeovil Junction.
Buses will continue to run until the full service is restored between Yeovil Junction and Exeter St Davids we expect this to be around 18:20.

willc789

Seems that FGW have been seeing the rough side of things recently, hopefully the new year will pan out better for them! Any ideas of when the circuit failures will be fixed and things will be back up and running?

Goatboy

Established Member
Question regarding 'reasonable routes'. I have a split ticket for a journey on Sunday. If the service is suspended/disrupted am I able to use 'any reasonable route' to get from A to C even though the tickets held are A to B, and B to C?

I'm assuming I'm covered by Section 19 Part B still, even though the 'alternative' route wouldnt involve calling at the changeover station?

Captain Chaos

Seems that FGW have been seeing the rough side of things recently, hopefully the new year will pan out better for them! Any ideas of when the circuit failures will be fixed and things will be back up and running?

Two track railway is expected to be in operation till the end of service today unfortunately.

Monty

Established Member
embers25 was enquiring about SWT ticket acceptance on FGW, not vice versa.

On the West of England Main Line between London and Exeter SWT haven't said that they'll allow their ticket holders to travel with FGW, so at the moment it appears to be train to Yeovil Junction then bus to Exeter.

The last thing FGW want at the moment is more passengers rolling up at Paddington. They've got enough to deal with already!

Of course if you've got an 'Any Permitted' ticket to Exeter then you've got a choice. Heavy delays between Paddington and Reading but a train all the way, or train to Yeovil from Waterloo then a bus. Take your pick....

That is what I was talking about, SWT's WICC has been sending messages to staff mobile devices that FGW will convey affected SWT customers on that route. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. :oops:

The line has indeed reopened however SWT will continue to the replacement buses until 1800 and FGW are still accepting SWT tickets to and from Exeter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.