• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather-Related Disruption (Dec 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatboy

Established Member
Thats not what I mean.

The original trains are showing as cancelled. Which is correct and fine.

In place, are new services in the same path terminating at Exeter. Excellent. These are showing as 'On Time'.

But as you have correctly pointed out, they are not running either. The 09:25 Plymouth to Exeter has not departed despite showing as 'On Time' until 09:25. You knew it wasn't going anywhere, so it's not outrageous to expect whoever is doing information provision to know that, too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Thats not what I mean.

The original trains are showing as cancelled. Which is correct and fine.
I know that's not what you are saying, I was just asking if you'd prefer to see "1st train Exeter St Davids" on a monitor or "1st train London Paddington cancelled, 2nd train Exeter St Davids"

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
I'd like to see '1st train London Paddington Cancelled, 2nd train Exeter St Davids cancelled' as thats the situation :p

Ironically though for Plymouth customers it might even work out better if its shut north of Plymouth, as Plymouth to Taunton by road is no longer than it is by rail in terms of duration.

Ah well, I've made sure I've got all day...

Zoe

Established Member
I'd like to see '1st train London Paddington Cancelled, 2nd train Exeter St Davids cancelled' as thats the situation
Is it though? The train is not running east of Exeter but does it really need to be treated as thought it has been completely cancelled and a new train added to run between Plymouth and Exeter? As you say, neither are running so couldn't they just say "1st train London Paddington cancelled"

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
Is it though? The train is not running east of Exeter but does it really need to be treated as thought it has been completely cancelled and a new train added to run between Plymouth and Exeter? As you say, neither are running so couldn't they just say "1st train London Paddington cancelled"

they could, yes.

Both would be better than the current situation - two trains, one cancelled, one on time, when in reality there are no trains.

Have to say the recurring theme of FGW being spot on seems to continue. FGW's own website has detailed information about whats going on. I appreciate they've had a lot of practice recently but they seem to be getting quite good at the information thing.

Zoe

Established Member
Ironically though for Plymouth customers it might even work out better if its shut north of Plymouth, as Plymouth to Taunton by road is no longer than it is by rail in terms of duration.
Unless you get stuck in traffic in Taunton. Also are they actually running buses direct to Taunton from Plymouth or do you have to change at Exeter?

Rich McLean

Established Member
From the man on the ground, they are running Taunton - Tiv Pk Wy - Exeter and Plymouth. If you want Newton Abbot etc, you need to change buses

atillathehunn

Established Member
Does anyone know if any of the Chester - Crewe services are being diverted via Middlewich? There's a lot of trains being altered at the moment - hoping this is one of them!

Thanks

atillathehunn

Established Member
So as there are trains showing on NRE leaving from Chester and Crewe it might indicate they are being diverted?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes. This is the obvious and normal thing for VT to divert this route. Happenede quite recently as well when flooding/ Also went Crewe to Warringon (Bank Quay), reverse and Chester.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Brill, thanks. I will go and have a ride then. Thanks for the information. Merry Christmas.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Was late for work on Thurs and Fri due to flooding. I know nothing FGW can do but I have to go in on Xmas Eve even though I booked A/L off as I need to finish some stuff.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This text is currently on the NRE disruption site: http://nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.html

Originally posted by NRE

Newport - Cardiff Central
No trains are running between Newport and Cardiff Central because of flooding. Buses are replacing trains where possible.

Bristol - Cardiff Central
Trains between Bristol and Cardiff Central are being delayed by up to 60 minutes.

One of these paragraphs must be wrong.

Goatboy

Established Member
Direct bus from Plymouth to Taunton. Well organised - if it wasn't for the bus driver going round the carpark 3 times before stopping we'd have mad the XC service and would have arrived right time in Bristol, so it could be a lot worse.

Looks far more choatic going the other way, Taunton was heaving with down passengers.

3 spare 158's sitting in a bay at Temple Meads though which seems odd.

aylesbury

Dispite the weather causing all the problems,Daily Mail headline(SHAMBLES ON THE RAILWAY) .Typical comment, this is an insult to all the workers attempting to get the system working in trying circamstances .Hope everyone gets were they are hoping to this weekend..

Does anyone know if any of the Chester - Crewe services are being diverted via Middlewich? There's a lot of trains being altered at the moment - hoping this is one of them!

Thanks

All diverted trains went via Warrington B Q and Helsby (Virgin) All of Arriva's were cancelled and replaced by buses.:(

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
It's just took me 47 minutes to get from Crewe to Chester due to flooding in the Beeston Castle area. Trains are stopping and running at caution through affected areas

krus_aragon

Established Member
All diverted trains went via Warrington B Q and Helsby (Virgin) All of Arriva's were cancelled and replaced by buses.:(

Arriva don't operate any regular services through Middlewich, so they'd probably have to hire drivers in if they wanted to go that way.

6Gman

Established Member
Arriva don't operate any regular services through Middlewich, so they'd probably have to hire drivers in if they wanted to go that way.

Loads of difficulties with diverting via Middlewich - route knowledge; low line speed; single line Sandbach - Northwich (loop at M'wich) and then Mouldsworth - Mickle Trafford!

Rich McLean

Established Member
Managed to get from PLY to STS and back without a hitch tonight. However, my dad is on standby to get me to taunton on the 29th if needs be. So I am luck. If anyone is travelling north on the 29th and need alternitave transport, then please PM me. However, I am only willing to take those in dire need, you would have to be established on here, for obvious reasons. please don't take offence. Myself and my father would be doing it out of good heart

Goatboy

Established Member
Managed to get from PLY to STS and back without a hitch tonight. However, my dad is on standby to get me to taunton on the 29th if needs be. So I am luck. If anyone is travelling north on the 29th and need alternitave transport, then please PM me. However, I am only willing to take those in dire need, you would have to be established on here, for obvious reasons. please don't take offence. Myself and my father would be doing it out of good heart

The buses PLY to TAU were working well today. Direct bus no stops taking about as long as the train was anyway with queues that were not too large.

Rich McLean

Established Member
The buses PLY to TAU were working well today. Direct bus no stops taking about as long as the train was anyway with queues that were not too large.

I agree, seemed to be working well from TAU to PLY. Howeveer, the man on the ground said to expect this until the 30th, maybe earlier, maybe later. but 30th as a rough guess, need to sort out plympton, and lay down new track and ballast at cowley bridge (again)

Captain Chaos

That's quite good to hear. In a way the nightmare we had in November has probably served us well for this time round.

Really feel sorry for my colleagues in the West though and the bods in Swindon HQ who are probably going nuts trying to balance units and crews. It's been quite a bad couple of months really for us all, passengers and staff alike.

Hopefully we can get things back to normal ASAP and we can get everyone where they want to be in time for Christmas.

tsr

Established Member
As others have mentioned elsewhere on the forums, there have been flooding problems in other parts of the South, too. There was a total blockage for a time at Arundel, starting some time just before 1030hrs today. Bus replacement was in operation between Horsham and Barnham. This was lifted and most services on the Arun Valley Line were back to normal by mid-afternoon. There was also a flooding incident in the Balcombe Tunnel area at about 1200hrs (Up direction, apparently), although this had limited consequences due to the already minimal service pattern on that stretch of the BML.

Meanwhile, as extensively detailed on another thread, Friday morning's Preston Park fire is still having major consequences for services. I have heard that this was caused by a short-circuit due to water ingress, but I'm not sure just how true this is.

Despite the disruptions, passengers were in generally good spirits when I visited a couple of affected BML stations today.

There have been some strong gusts of wind in the North Downs area (and probably the rest of the South-East) in the last couple of hours, and more wind and rain should be expected overnight. Not only could this further disrupt trains, it also makes me think of the NR crews busily working against the clock in frankly quite miserable conditions. Good luck and best wishes to all of them! :)

I am lucky enough to be at home at Christmas, but I will not be forgetting men and women who are digging the railway out of vast swathes of mud and debris in order to recover the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.