• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather-Related Disruption (Dec 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
Anyone know what's going on today?

NRES twitter says only limited service between Newton Abbott and Exeter. but NRES disruptions page says line now clear and operating near full service.

NRES disruption page says Cowly Bridge not open until tomorrow but departure and arrival boards show a train from Paddington having made it to Exeter?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seems like that was a fluke of the departure boards, looks like shuttles between Exeter and Plymouth again today.

Which is a shame because train to Exeter and bus to Tiverton is slower and adds more time than train to Newton Abbot and bus to Tiverton, oh well :p

Topsham to Exmouth is closed due to flooding
Services between Exeter St Davids and Exmouth are disrupted due to flooding in the Lympstone area. Services will start and terminate at Topsham with road transport operating between Topsham and Stations to Exmouth in both directions. Services will remain disrupted until after the New Year

Goatboy

Established Member
This is worrying:

After 22:00 tonight, no transport will be available between Tiverton and Exeter. Passengers to make their own arrangements

This information only seems to be available through Twitter. What happens to passengers who arrive at Tiverton after 10pm and don't use Twitter?

dk1

Veteran Member
This is worrying:

This information only seems to be available through Twitter. What happens to passengers who arrive at Tiverton after 10pm and don't use Twitter?

Seems very strange. Passengers will be transfered as always whether it be bus, a fleet of taxis or a Rolls Royce. Perhaps just trying to deter as many as possible.

tsr

Established Member
Seems very strange. Passengers will be transfered as always whether it be bus, a fleet of taxis or a Rolls Royce. Perhaps just trying to deter as many as possible.

I imagine the meaning of that tweet is that FGW's Rail Replacement Buses will not be running, but that passengers will have to call a taxi. I should hope there will be a procedure and guidance for reimbursement.

Zoe

Established Member
I imagine the meaning of that tweet is that FGW's Rail Replacement Buses will not be running, but that passengers will have to call a taxi. I should hope there will be a procedure and guidance for reimbursement.
What if you can't afford a taxi? The driver is going to want you to pay the fare immediately and not wait for you to be reimbursed.

ushawk

Established Member
What if you can't afford a taxi? The driver is going to want you to pay the fare immediately and not wait for you to be reimbursed.

Surely the TOC control would organise it and organise payment if you can't pay up front ?

Zoe

Established Member
Surely the TOC control would organise it and organise payment if you can't pay up front ?
Then why are they not just providing transport for everyone rather than telling people to make their own arrangements if they are going to end up paying for all the taxis in the end.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Reported on the news that Cowley bridge Jn will be open to traffic tomorrow lunchtime, no guarantees though.

This does not include the Barny branch however. Topsham - Exmouth will be shut into the new year

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Reported on the news that Cowley bridge Jn will be open to traffic tomorrow lunchtime, no guarantees though.

This does not include the Barny branch however. Topsham - Exmouth will be shut into the new year
I would guess that the Barnstaple branch will have problems elsewhere such as at Umberleigh where the river Taw got rather high last weekend (I believe it was around there that also got hit badly by floods a few years back when there were major floods around North Devon).

starrymarkb

Established Member
Lympstone Village, I believe from what I have seen

Curious, the line is raised up around there apart from the cycle track bridge... Embankment wash out is the only thing I can think of (if the railway floods the village would have far bigger problems!)

Edit: Landslip apparently!

The local Rag said:
Update:

Due to safety checks on the line there are currently no service running between Topsham and Exmouth.

Speed restiction placed on Exmouth trainline after Lympstone landslip

Replacement bus services are running.

----------------------

A landslip near the Lympstone Commando Centre has caused a 5 mph speed restriction at Lympstone to be put in place. The line was inspected after high tide this morning before allowing the first train to go through.

Network Rail spokesman, said: “Speed restrictions between Exmouth and Exeter are in place as a precautionary measure – the has been a lot of flooding recently in the area, the ground is very water logged and we have done everything we can to stabilise the groundworks.”

In another update the Exeter St. Davids to Plymouth line has reopened after a landslip at Parsons Tunnel. The Up line was blocked and the Down line was available with single line working introduced from Teignmouth to Dawlish Warren with a 20 mph speed restriction imposed.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Another load of deluges forecast for the next few days I see. I hope it's not going to flood again there!

It wouldn't surprise me, fingers crossed I get across there tomorrow before it gets closed again.

If it floods again, I think Network rail will have to come up with a more permanent solution, ie, raise the tracks and use a bridge, or install pipes underneath (most likely), so the water can flow under the tracks instead of over.

Zoidberg

Established Member
WCML closed at Penrith. Buses Carlisle to Lancaster.
http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/sa0670b37444416289fca7e0a2b35ff7

S&C flooding as well. On board 2H12 heading for Carlisle and had to stop a few times to check track.

I notice that the service disruption has been cleared. From http://nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/cleared.html

Delays between Lancaster and Carlisle

Trains are now running normally between Lancaster and Carlisle following flooding near Penrith North Lakes.

341o2

Established Member
reading this, hopefully today sees the last of heavy rain toady for the south, but unsettled weather forecast to continue further north

Status
Not open for further replies.