• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related signalling problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Definitely weather. The track defects are more likely to occur due to the heat, there have been lightning strikes, also some flooding problems.

We've not had storms up in Yorkshire yet, it's wonderful weather up here ;)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Still got loads of problems in the East Midlands area I see, well I did hear lightning strike very close to my house, and the Thunder was louder than a HST at full power.

It was a nice day yesterday as well, cant say the same for the night, or today though, bloody horrible weather.

Simming

Cornwalls been having problems with lightning Strikes, Largin's Area (controled my NX from Lostwithel) was out, with trains being talked past signals. Truro was also had a strike the other day, knocking out all Points and Colour lights

All good Fun

TheSlash

Established Member
Reminds me of last year when lightning hit Wimbledon signalling centre during the evening peak, caused mega disruption

Derek Kaye

I remember during the January storms, there was no electricity in most of Cumbria, so Signals and crossings etc were all out with drivers having to SPAD (with authority) nearly every signal.

This applied even for the semaphore signals becuase of the interlocking system - the gates are proved locked with an electric detector and the signals are not released until the gates are proved locked. As there was no power, the gates could not be proved locked and therefore the signals could not be cleared.. I remember the interesting journey going to school...

Bootle: No Power, no lights on station (driver had to know where he was ;) ) signalman (it was a man so I am being PC) closes gates but cannot clear signals so comes and waits on the platform for the train. Authorises driver to SPAD the Home and Starter signals.

Ravenglass: station lights were on, no signals installed

Drigg: We come to a near stand close to the home signal (DG10) then start up again and stop at the signal box (I asume the signaller showed a yellow light (at bootle I observed the use of yellow lights/flags for trains going in the other direction)) and then we start up again over the crossing to the station (again with no lights)

Seascale: village had power, no signals installed

Sellafield: had power, signals clear

Braystones, Nethertown: no power, no signals installed

St bees: Barrier crossings were down but signals not cleared. after being in school that day aswell, i descovered that the village was on low voltage.. about 50V I was told until thankfuly at about 14.30 the beeping for the fire alarm panel stopped and power was restored.

I also understand that trains were terminating at Dalston as they couldn't get into Carlisle.. not sureprising, Carlilse had no power till about the Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.