• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weaver junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hello I was on a pendolino today passing weaver junction there was a boarded up building . Does anyone know what is is? It looked like a signal box.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ex-railwayman

The infamous Weaver Junction and it's signal box, this was where Class 40 189 perished in 1975, I bet the OP is a young man and won't remember the accident between the Coatbridge - Southampton Freightliner and the Runcorn to Wallerscote ICI tanker train, luckily nobody was killed, but, a bit of a fright for all involved.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Polarbear

Established Member
The infamous Weaver Junction and it's signal box, this was where Class 40 189 perished in 1975, I bet the OP is a young man and won't remember the accident between the Coatbridge - Southampton Freightliner and the Runcorn to Wallerscote ICI tanker train, luckily nobody was killed, but, a bit of a fright for all involved.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Nicknamed (at the time), the Whiskey & Soda accident.

The Freightliner had a consignment of Whiskey whilst the ICI tankers contained Caustic Soda. It took ages to clear up the mess afterwards.

ex-railwayman

Nicknamed (at the time), the Whiskey & Soda accident.

Yep, that's right, I remember now.

I was reading the Accident Report on t'internet last night, the guard of the Freightliner train didn't realise his shoes and feet had been burnt by the Caustic Soda, until he got home and took his socks off, I bet that must have been a shock for the chap.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If anyone's interested the report into the accident discussed above can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.