• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Web Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaker

Established Member
Hello

I am thinking about making a 'proper' website for a group i belong to , i have no HTML Knowledge (well i do but basic ) , im am gradualy learning the basics. I know of Dream Weaver as we have it at school are there any programs like this that are cheaper , any you can recomend. Are there any good tutorials on the web about html?

Also if anybody has any free time could they make some sort of 3D images of nameplates like saying

''History''
''Home''
''About us''
'' Pictures''
'' Links''

I can probably do those if no body wants to i hope the above is not asking alot as i dont know how hard it is to make those.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

You should definatly have a look at this: http://www.w3schools.com/

It covers everything from basic HTML, CSS, ASP, SQL and much more! There are lots of tutorials, examples, quizzes etc. Great for a beginner or an expert.

Also, I'd use a template if you have little-no knowledge on building a website. There are loads on the net, many HTML and CSS valid as well.

Dave A

Nick said:
Best bet for a newbie is Joomla or a Free Webs template
Joomla - Newbie :lol: Maybe. If you want to stick with all the default stuff.

Actually customising a CMS to fit in a rail related website is pretty hard. There aren't any default templates that really fit it, and the menus, pages etc, really require A LOT of change! :sign7:

Beaker: Those images could be made in paint if needed to be. Nothing fancy, but simple and easy! Also, using text is much better as it can be found by a search engine.

Nick

David said:
Joomla - Newbie :lol: Maybe. If you want to stick with all the default stuff.

Aye my fault lol, Tom also raised a good point that Beaker wouldn't have anywhere to host it. I agree with the suggestiosn David has made...perhaps have a look for simple templates and maybe edit them aswell?

Oh and Tom - I don't know what CMS is....probably Summit Server, but ah well. You do a good job coding RailUK site never said anywhere on forum recently that you don't so why are you reopening old wounds....I thought we had sorted everything. Why can't we just get along?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please don't use 3D buttons, they are so annoying, and a web design "no no".

I learnt to use HTML when I was your age by reading a book and using Notepad, and it is by far the best way to learn.

Use something like Dreamweaver after you've learnt the basics.

Don't rush it, take your time. Make sure the site is accessible and easy to use and not too flashy.

Tom B

Established Member
Win 3.1 notepad and an early version of Netscape taught me most I know about HTML back in 1996-7.... just muck about and read a few tutorials and fiddle with stuff and you should get far!

Craig

Established Member
yorkie said:
Don't rush it, take your time. Make sure the site is accessible and easy to use and not too flashy.
Also, if you follow web standards your website should work correctly in all browsers. One of my pet hates are websites that won't work properly in anything apart from IE :roll:

Cockfosters said:
Win 3.1 notepad and an early version of Netscape taught me most I know about HTML back in 1996-7
I've made a web page in VI... One of my uni lecturers insisted on everyone learning how to use it in case of some emergency where it was the only editor you had access too :?

Sprog

Established Member
will it be a website on how best to use flash photography at Kings Cross? ;)

Beaker

Established Member
I chucked that piece of **** at a wall. Stupid Fiiing Camera , piece of fiiiing ****

No its for a small group which i help on who own a loco.

eezypeazy

My website was put together using Serif's PagePlus, desktop publishing software that includes the ability to work in web pages, import and export in different graphic formats, produce pdfs, and lots more. It also includes a form of word art that allows you to create simple 3D effects (such as the text in my avatar and signature). You can do all that without any knowledge of HTML, and you can also use snippets of HTML code when you need to. There's a free version of it and their web publisher at http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

eezypeazy

tubenutter

i find that IBM's websphere software worked well for me as I had no HTML knowledge at all.
Unfortunately I can't remember where I got it from but it will probably be somewhere on the IBM site.

Status
Not open for further replies.