• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Websites and apps that have a bus tracker that shows the reg number or fleet number of the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I bet most of the ordinary passengers won't be too happy. Although it is good news for the disabled and OAPs. I have heard the ordinary buses have occasionally done the X97/X98/X99 all the way from Inverness to Scrabster/Thurso/Wick a few times.

Indeed they have, although they're not meant to. They're starting to use former Megabus Interdecks on the X99 now, the stairs on the Interdecks (which can only be compared to finding the toilet in a Weatherspoons!) will have OAPs delighted!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

borage

Hello! Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Because of the vagaries of the local bus tracking systems in Devon, Cornwall, Dundee, the Highlands etc., I can only fetch the information for one route at a time, so buses there will only appear on the big map (https://bustimes.org/vehicles) when someone is viewing the route-specific map (e.g. https://bustimes.org/services/falcon-plymouth-exeter-taunton-bristol-airport-bri) for the route they're on.

I see you have added First West of England, a massive and very useful addition. Keep up the good work !, I’m sure us enthusiasts are all very appreciative of your hard work! Finishing off the rest of NXWM would please me ;)

gka472l

Because of the vagaries of the local bus tracking systems in Devon, Cornwall, Dundee, the Highlands etc., I can only fetch the information for one route at a time, so buses there will only appear on the big map (https://bustimes.org/vehicles) when someone is viewing the route-specific map (e.g. https://bustimes.org/services/falcon-plymouth-exeter-taunton-bristol-airport-bri) for the route they're on.

It's a fantastic website for us enthusiasts, so thanks for creating it!

Andyh82

Established Member
I see you have added First West of England, a massive and very useful addition. Keep up the good work !, I’m sure us enthusiasts are all very appreciative of your hard work! Finishing off the rest of NXWM would please me ;)

Blimey, looking at the map zoomed out, there’s a lot of buses in Bristol!

I’m holding out for one of the big boys up north, maybe the other parts of Transdev, First WY or Arriva Yorks

Hophead

Established Member
I note that buses are now tracked on the south of the Isle of Wight (see post 23)!

AJM580

Thanks to the person who set this up - it makes my commute to work on First Eastern Counties a lot easier now - Always nice to see what I might be riding on.

Many thanks to borage for this site. It is an excellent website. I use it regularly and find it very useful.

I see that a very large amount of small independent bus operators (at least ten of them) in the Cornwall and Devon areas were showing yesterday. Some of the companies that were showing are tiny community bus services that just operate one route using minibus type vehicles. I am very surprised that these services even have tracking.

Great to see the continued expansion of the tracking on the site. Keep up the good work.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
A very useful site indeed! Many thanks for the (partial) addition of the Dundee and Angus area - I could tell this morning that my bus would be a single decker (and inevitably was packed) ...

For those who are interested, I've compiled a Spreadsheet and is available to view here, which outlines all the Stagecoach East Scotland routes which currently track, and which vehicles pair up with the tracking numbers.

Last edited:

gka472l

More updates from a quick glance this morning....quite a lot of Stagecoach South is on now (Winchester, Basingstoke, Andover, Guildford, plus the odd vehicle on the coast bit between Portsmouth & Littlehampton), plus more Go South Coast around the Poole area, and First in Portsmouth/Gosport. I'm hoping my local area of Merseyside appears in the future (although Cumfybus is on!)…..once again to the owner of that site, many thanks!

Excellent update. Really good to see. It's great to see that some of Stagecoach South and some more of Go Ahead South Coast has been added. Hopefully the remainder of these companies will be added at some point soon. I also see that most of Arriva The Shires has now been added as well. This is certainly very useful.

Hopefully at some point they will add, Compass Bus, Southdown PSV, Arriva Surrey, Arriva Kent, Go Ahead Brighton & Hove, Go Ahead Metrobus, this would be very useful.

Will the OFJ Connections fleet at Gatwick Airport come back at some point? This was showing every day until recently so i am wondering what has happened to the tracking of this?

Also any idea why a lot of the buses on the map (mainly the newer additions) are showing as blank with no route number (just the fleet number is shown)? I presume this is because they are just new additions and will be sorted soon?

The tracking on the website is looking great! Keep up the good work with this!

Hophead

Established Member
As I write, there are numerous Metrobus vehicles being tracked in and around Crawley (though not so much Redhill)!

Mind you, one of the vehicles heading into Crawley is reported to be on route 93 (Dorking - Horsham), and terminating at Capel. I presume that this is out of service, but still being tracked.

I also notice that some (but not all) of the Compass Bus vehicles are showing as well (or at least they were about an hour ago but most of their services have finished for the evening now). Many thanks to the site owner for adding the Compass Bus vehicles. Also it looks like the coverage of Stagecoach South has expanded.

gka472l

I also notice that some (but not all) of the Compass Bus vehicles are showing as well (or at least they were about an hour ago but most of their services have finished for the evening now). Many thanks to the site owner for adding the Compass Bus vehicles. Also it looks like the coverage of Stagecoach South has expanded.

Indeed, the eastern section of the 700 wasn't on this morning but appeared during the afternoon.

Strangely i find that sometimes if vehicles for a certain bus route are not showing on the main map then you can go to the timetable page for that route and they will be showing on the map on the timetable page. Then once you go back to the main map you will find that the vehicles for this route are now showing. It seems very strange. It is only certain bus operators as well. Some bus operators show up with all their vehicles on all their routes on the main map all day every day without any problems. Where as some others do not and will disappear sometimes.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Strangely i find that sometimes if vehicles for a certain bus route are not showing on the main map then you can go to the timetable page for that route and they will be showing on the map on the timetable page. Then once you go back to the main map you will find that the vehicles for this route are now showing. It seems very strange. It is only certain bus operators as well. Some bus operators show up with all their vehicles on all their routes on the main map all day every day without any problems. Where as some others do not and will disappear sometimes.

See this post from the author of the site:

Many thanks for linking that post. That is very useful to know. I should have thought to read up all the other posts in the thread first to see if it had already been answered! Good to know the reason why now!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
An amendment to that post, however, would be that Xplore Dundee vehicles now track all the time on the "big map" as the data feed was swapped over last Friday

It does seem quite random. Some of them such as Eastbourne Coachways (aka Renown Coaches) and Falcon Buses and Reading Buses have all been showing all the time on the main map whilst others do not. I guess it depends on what tracking systems are used.

Another thing that i noticed today is a lot of the (closely related) Aylesbury independents ( Red Eagle Buses , Red Line Buses , Red Rose Buses , Star Travel , Vale Travel , Z & S Transport ) are now showing on the map which is good to see. But it only seems to work for a very few of their routes so far. Hopefully there will be more expansion of the tracking of these six operators in the future.

It's also interesting to see how certain not in service buses show on their way to and from the depot. I guess it depends on when the driver logs in and logs out of their ticket machine. Some probably do it at the depot before they start their route and at the depot after they finish their route.

First Worcestershire now added, and Diamond is back! Very happy about First, means I can watch the 144 for any unusual workings :D Much appreciated and adds to an area with not much tracking so far otherwise. Now we just need NXWM for West Mids, but that will be a big task!

gka472l

Not a major addition but noticed the 'Pulse' route operated around Worthing by Stagecoach is showing today for the first time.....

richw

Veteran Member
see that a very large amount of small independent bus operators (at least ten of them) in the Cornwall and Devon areas were showing yesterday. Some of the companies that were showing are tiny community bus services that just operate one route using minibus type vehicles. I am very surprised that these services even have tracking.

Cornwall council funded ticketer machines for all operators to have a universal ticketing. The smallest operators all take contactless. There was a period of time in when the small one man band type operations had contactless but Stagecoach didn’t as they are only in the Far East with a few miles into cornwall!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
One thing I've noticed is it is thinking Diamond Bus vehicles are running on another operators (Claribels) route (Birmingham Business Park route 75) and is assigning them to the other operator.

Good to see the continued expansion of bus operators shown. I see that Go Ahead Brighton & Hove has now been added. Their vehicles on the N25 are currently showing. Also it looks like Go Ahead Oxford Bus Company has been added as well. Their vehicles on the AIRLINE and X90 are currently showing.

Also good to see that a lot of the vehicles for various bus operators are now showing the reg number as well as the fleet number. I find reg numbers much easier to remember so it is useful to have them shown.

I see that the six related Aylesbury independents are now showing more regularly however it is still only some routes and some vehicles that are showing. But rather strangely they are showing fleet numbers instead of reg numbers despite the fact that these six bus operators vehicles don't actually display any fleet numbers. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone have a list showing which fleet numbers are for which reg numbers?

These are the bus operators:

• Red Eagle Buses - https://bustimes.org/operators/red-eagle/vehicles

• Red Line Buses - https://bustimes.org/operators/redline/vehicles

• Red Rose Buses - https://bustimes.org/operators/red-rose-travel/vehicles

• Star Travel - https://bustimes.org/operators/star-travel/vehicles

• Vale Travel - https://bustimes.org/operators/vale-travel

• Z & S Transport - https://bustimes.org/operators/z-s-transport/vehicles

Perhaps the fleet numbers are only used for ticket machine purposes which is why they are not displayed on the vehicles.

It would be great to see the rest of Compass Bus added at some point hopefully.

Many thanks to the site owner for the continued updates and additions to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.