• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Websites and apps that have a bus tracker that shows the reg number or fleet number of the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

What is needed to have first services in Scotland added to the live tracking? . They have live arriving times on their own app that’s probably linked with the ticketer .

Semys67

Anybody having problems tracking buses on their smartphone? Fine on my laptop but my smartphone just shows a blank map.

All stagecoach east Scotland, explore dundee, bay travel and Lothian buses are not showing on the tracker this evening (SES disappeared yesterday and the rest this afternoon)

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
All stagecoach east Scotland, explore dundee, bay travel and Lothian buses are not showing on the tracker this evening (SES disappeared yesterday and the rest this afternoon)
Lothian showing fine for me!

The Tayside RTPI feed seemed to be getting confused yesterday with the Saturday service 73 so assumed they turned it off maybe?

It seems that all buses which use Ticketer machines have disappeared which leads me to believe it's an issue at their end.

The Traveline app isn't working either at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190402-225242_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190402-225242_Chrome.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 16

JL1

Still waiting for Arriva Kent & Surrey to show on the bustimes.org

SCH117X

Established Member
TrentBarton and Nottm City have both been missing for a while having made a brief appearance on bustimes.org

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
As the Tayside ACIS feed has now been down for 2-3 days, I contacted Traveline and have been told:

"there has been a change to the system we get live info from for buses in Tayside. We're working with the supplier to have these back in our apps and on the website in the near future."

I assume this is why both Xplore Dundee and Stagecoach East Scotland have both disappeared from the tracker.

Perhaps @borage could advise further?

##Edit##
Xplore Dundee has now reappeared as of 13:05

Last edited:

borage

Yes, the Tayside problem looks like the same thing that affected some of Southern England last month. I think it's a coincidence that Xplore Dundee also disappeared for a bit.

Still waiting for Arriva Kent & Surrey to show on the bustimes.org

You might have to wait a while, but this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bus-revolution-to-put-power-in-passengers-hands looks promising – it should eventually be possible to cover at least the whole of England:
Buses Minister Nusrat Ghani has today (26 March 2019) announced £4 million for a platform which will provide location information about services – giving greater certainty to passengers about when their bus will arrive.

The platform enables app developers to use information from GPS trackers, which are already fitted to 97% of buses. This will provide a service which is available in some major cities. It will give people in other areas across the country, including rural and remote areas, the ability to plan journeys more easily.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yes, the Tayside problem looks like the same thing that affected some of Southern England last month. I think it's a coincidence that Xplore Dundee also disappeared for a bit.
Thanks. Interestingly, Xplore Dundee vehicles appear to be disappearing whenever drivers swap over mid-route, but then reappear when a new trip is started.

carlberry

Established Member
You might have to wait a while, but this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bus-revolution-to-put-power-in-passengers-hands looks promising – it should eventually be possible to cover at least the whole of England:
Where on earth has the 97% figure come from? I doubt even the big fleets that have the system manage that figure reliably. And the rural/remote bit depends on operators being willing to pay for better signal coverage when lots cant even make money on providing the bus itself.

Established Member
Thanks. Interestingly, Xplore Dundee vehicles appear to be disappearing whenever drivers swap over mid-route, but then reappear when a new trip is started.
The trip details (route and departure time and anything else) is only entered once the driver is logged on to the ticket machine (well for the ticketer ones I know is like this) which could explain the reasons behind this.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The trip details (route and departure time and anything else) is only entered once the driver is logged on to the ticket machine (well for the ticketer ones I know is like this) which could explain the reasons behind this.
It only started happening today.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
A Dundee councillor has investigated the lack of realtime information at bus stops throughout the city, and the council have responded with the following:

"VIX the real time provider lost the contract to renew the real time information from April 1 2019. JMW are in place to take over the system.

From April, JMW are to strip each sign and install their equipment into each sign and up to now they have carried out 150 signs, the remaining 190 have still to be kitted out. This will be carried out during the month of April.

Since 1 April, VIX have turned off all of the signs that had not yet been migrated."

I noticed myself today that a lot of bus stops are now showing the buses in realtime, so fingers crossed the data becomes available soon for bustimes.org.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
First Eastern Counties hasn't worked properly since the 25th April.

This has been rather frustrating over the last few weeks. I commute using the X1/X2 corridors and it was becoming a useful tool to decide which way to go home from County Hall. :(

Although, I've noticed Sanders and BorderBus have also disappeared from the live map, around the same time as FEC. The only major Norfolk operators left are KonectBus and Lynx...

stuart81

This has been rather frustrating over the last few weeks. I commute using the X1/X2 corridors and it was becoming a useful tool to decide which way to go home from County Hall. :(

Although, I've noticed Sanders and BorderBus have also disappeared from the live map, around the same time as FEC. The only major Norfolk operators left are KonectBus and Lynx...

Ironically it was about the time Ipswich depot became live although it is very patchy, only a few vehicles report a full days workings

ACBest

Marshalls of Sutton on Trent now on there - not sure of the source of the data (possibly from their Bigchange Apps tracker?) but it’s spitting out some weird details about which service each vehicle is supposedly operating! (Including private hire coaches!)

DD12

Something that appears "weird and wonderful" to me in Worcester, is that a "Midland Classic vehicle" has started to appear on the "main live map" mixed-in with all the First Midland Red buses, and a load of FMR buses listed at the bottom of the Midland Classic vehicle list -- -- obviously some kind of error / glitch, but rather entertaining !

CD

Something that appears "weird and wonderful" to me in Worcester, is that a "Midland Classic vehicle" has started to appear on the "main live map" mixed-in with all the First Midland Red buses, and a load of FMR buses listed at the bottom of the Midland Classic vehicle list -- -- obviously some kind of error / glitch, but rather entertaining !
Still plenty of fine tuning to be done.
For example on First West of England quite regularly, the same vehicle is shown all day on two different routes at the same time.

Appears to have been an update or something to the data. Loads of alterations on the fleet list sections which is good, but hardly any buses tracking, that were this morning when I checked ! Have been watching the Stagecoach Yorkshire stuff off the list for several days in preparation of my trip next week, but only a fraction showing now.

Btw loads of Stagecoach fleets are/were tracking, but not on the map. Most Stagecoach subsidiaries now but still some missing for First and Arriva, and the rest of NXWM!

Status
Not open for further replies.