• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WebTiS bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I'm conducting a new fares case study on the routing of tickets in and around the London area and have become intrigued by some of the options available for certain flows.

In order to investigate, I've attempted to use WebTis which has a useful "Select a route" feature which is called "Show slower routes" on some sites. However, I've tried the Southern, Chiltern and RSH websites. The option flashes up for a split second then disappears, so I can't filter by route.

This is proving to be problematic, because it precludes the sale of cheaper tickets by slower routes which aren't necessarily shown by default in the journey planner. Even if you bring up the correct ticket on NRE, then choose to buy it from a WebTiS site, it's not working.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Hmmm - could you try Stevenage to Turkey Street and see if you can get a single fare to show for £12.70, please? The option is working for some enquiries but not others. In this instance, it only wants to offer a single for £16.30 and hides the route selection option. Instead, a "cheapest fare finder" box appears, which doesn't actually offer the cheapest fare at all.

Last edited:

cjohnson

It appears on a Trainline-based engine, has the (new to me!) restriction "This ticket is only valid on Victoria Line Northbound services."

RJ

Established Member
No sign of it, only the £16.30 single.

I don't seem to be able to send you a PM...

Sorry about that, on my phone so can't change my settings. WebTiS doesn't seem to like any flow which offers Victoria Line routed tickets between the GN/WA lines. The site completely does away with the "select a route" box when such a journey is put in. Tried various flows, such as Hitchin to Bethnal Green and Welham Green to Silver Street but the same thing keeps happening. Tried changing web browsers but still no luck!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It appears on a Trainline-based engine, has the (new to me!) restriction "This ticket is only valid on Victoria Line Northbound services."

National Rail stipulates that the ticket must be used on the Victoria Line at either Seven Sisters or Tottenham Hale. Although the journey planner invariably states that Finsbury Park is the changing point on the GN line, there's nothing to say it cannot be used to London King's Cross - which of course presents a quite a few anomalies as the fare sometimes undercuts the London Terminals equivalent.

Another odd thing about these fares is that they're often priced differently in opposite directions. I actually wanted WebTiS to translate the route to plain English for me - assuming the "Victria Line Nth" is supposed to mean northbound travel on the Victoria line would make the tickets logic defying in many cases and require a detour south to Hackney Downs then back north if the ticket is a single with an origin on the Chingford branch.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Could it be that "Nth" was intended to mean "the Victoria line north of London Terminals" rather than "northbound" but it then got misinterpreted somewhere along the line?

gnolife

Established Member
Could it be that "Nth" was intended to mean "the Victoria line north of London Terminals" rather than "northbound" but it then got misinterpreted somewhere along the line?

I can just imagine some trying to use one to get to Pimlico, and saying that they're still north of Brixton! :D

Stats

It cannot mean Northbound as the reverse journey also has the same Route validity (and is priced at 50p more). The Off-peak day return also has the same route validity and has a validity code of L4. Although NRE says the ticket is valid for Victoria Line at Seven Sisters or Tottenham Hale, it is not presenting it as an option for journeys via Tottenham Hale.

barrykas

Established Member
If memory serves from when the routeing in question was first introduced (back in WAGN days), the "North" refers to Finsbury Park, Seven Sisters, Tottenham Hale and Walthamstow Central.

The intention being that passengers wishing to avoid Zone 1 could save some money, though as the tickets sport a Maltese Cross they should, of course, work the barriers at Kings Cross, Moorgate, Old Street and Liverpool Street even though they're not intended to be valid at those stations.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.