• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WebTIS problems again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
This time, I've found an annoying problem with the site (or maybe I've missed something,) tried RSH and the Southern sites with no luck.

Is it possible to buy a ticket, even if there are no suggested itineraries for the day? For example, if I wanted to buy an open return from Uckfield to Cambridge. On the day of the outward journey, the last train had already left Uckfield (I'd be starting short at ECR) but I'd be returning to Uckfield the next day. Is there any way to get the online sites to sell me the open return? As far as I can see it's only offering a single for the return portion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Surely if you are buying an open return the time does not matter, just put an earlier time in.

That wouldn't work Peter, you can't book a ticket for a time that has already past. All I can advise is buying a ECR to CBG ticket then obtaining an overdistance excess for the return portion.

TP

RJ

Established Member
Surely if you are buying an open return the time does not matter, just put an earlier time in.

Peter

Tried it. Although the times will show if clicking the "Show timetables" link, it won't let me buy the ticket if there are no further services for the full journey that day.

That wouldn't work Peter, you can't book a ticket for a time that has already past. All I can advise is buying a ECR to CBG ticket then obtaining an overdistance excess for the return portion.

TP

Thanks, guess that's the only way. It's a bit of a nuisance really, only discovered after I wanted to get to London one evening. I knew that the ticket office at my origin station was shut and I didn't fancy my chances with buying such a ticket off the EMT guard so I ended up buying a different ticket. This is the kind of thing that annoys me about these "customer focused" GUIs seen on websites and TVMs - the functionality is often too limited.

The Southern TVMs, which allow purchase from any origin (including BZs) and print the restriction code on the ticket are a positive step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
This is the kind of thing that annoys me about these "customer focused" GUIs seen on websites and TVMs - the functionality is often too limited.

It's understandable that they want to avoid the scenario where a customer complains "you sold me this ticket that was impossible for me to use".
Of course there are other ways to avoid it such as allowing it to be sold and making the customer chase a flashing red notice around the screen confirming that they are aware the last train of the day has left their chosen departure station.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I can understand why ticket-retailing websites refuse to sell a ticket if a valid itinerary cannot be found.

If it is a walk-on ticket that a passenger requires then it can be purchased from the station or onboard. Difficulties that might be encountered while purchasing the ticket in person because the ticket required is exploiting a loophole is a complete separate issue.

I don't think it is a problem with WebTIS.

RJ

Established Member
I can understand why ticket-retailing websites refuse to sell a ticket if a valid itinerary cannot be found.

If it is a walk-on ticket that a passenger requires then it can be purchased from the station or onboard. Difficulties that might be encountered while purchasing the ticket in person because the ticket required is exploiting a loophole is a complete separate issue.

I don't think it is a problem with WebTIS.

All the same, it would be a useful function to have as it would save time for all parties concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.