• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekday Virgin; upgrade to first class when already on the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
If you get on the train and it's full/standing with an advances ticket - or you simply want a bit more comfort, can you go and sit in first class and pay the upgrade, and if so, how is the difference worked out?
At weekends it's a simple £20 addition (PRE-GLA) but weekdays won't be so easy?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Ticketing Guide has all the details here on excessing to first class.

You can just take a seat as in nearly all cases there is no penalty for upgrading on board even where there was opportunity to buy (Penalty Fare areas being a main exception to this). For Advance Tickets, when travelling on the booked train, it is the difference between the price paid and the appropriate first class single for the journey being made. So still quite simple really! Just potentially very much more than £20 :lol:

Howardh

Established Member
The Ticketing Guide has all the details here on excessing to first class.

You can just take a seat as in nearly all cases there is no penalty for upgrading on board even where there was opportunity to buy (Penalty Fare areas being a main exception to this). For Advance Tickets, when travelling on the booked train, it is the difference between the price paid and the appropriate first class single for the journey being made. So still quite simple really! Just potentially very much more than £20 :lol:

That last bit...thought it might be! Unless there's a cheap advance 1st I'll probably slum it on Corbyn's Floor if I have to. But nice to know there's no actual penalty if I don't and can find the extra!!

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm not sure where GLA is, but a 1st class single from Preston to Glasgow Central is £55.60 off-peak or £101 during peak, so it could end up being an expensive upgrade.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose it depends how much your standard AP is! If you're travelling after the 0930 the 1st Off-Peak Single is £55.60 (which for a 2hr 20/30m journey is actually quite reasonable) and looking a couple of weeks ahead (September 28) a lot of the APs on sale are £32. So £23.60 for the upgrade which isn't too bad (and not dissimilar to the difference between the 1st AP and the Standard AP).

If we push it out to the middle of November however there are lots of £10/£10.50/£15 Standard APs so potentially paying £45.60 for the upgrade which is a bit steep particularly when the 1st APs are only £20/25 more!

Starmill

Veteran Member
I was once on a London to Manchester train that was very busy, so two people with return portions of Manchester to London Off-Peak Returns sat in First Class and offered to upgrade. They left again when the guard arrived and said that would be £237.50 * 2.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure where GLA is....
It's the code for Glasgow Airport, which requires a bus/train from Glasgow Central to Paisley :)

So the weekend 1st upgrade would be valid to Glasgow Central only ;)

Just a gentle reminder to all:

To avoid any potential confusion we do ask people use correct railway station codes (e.g. Glasgow Central is GLC; the nearest railway station to GLA airport is Paisley Gilmour Street which is PYG) and, the first time a station is referred to, for the full name to be used.

Thanks! :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I was once on a London to Manchester train that was very busy, so two people with return portions of Manchester to London Off-Peak Returns sat in First Class and offered to upgrade. They left again when the guard arrived and said that would be £237.50 * 2.

I was once on a Virgin service with sonic2009, where a group of four American(?) tourists sat in First Class complaining that there were no seats in Standard. The guard asked them to upgrade, as there were some seats available in Standard but not together, and they agreed.

£700 I think it cost them, or possibly more. Neither of us thought they would cough up, but they willingly paid.

najaB

Veteran Member
I was once on a Virgin service with sonic2009, where a group of four American(?) tourists...

£700 I think it cost them, or possibly more. Neither of us thought they would cough up, but they willingly paid.
Perhaps they were visitors rather than tourists and work was paying.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was once on a Virgin service with sonic2009, where a group of four American(?) tourists sat in First Class complaining that there were no seats in Standard. The guard asked them to upgrade, as there were some seats available in Standard but not together, and they agreed.

Holy crap! Did they pay in cash? :lol:

Howardh

Established Member
It's the code for Glasgow Airport, which requires a bus/train from Glasgow Central to Paisley :)

So the weekend 1st upgrade would be valid to Glasgow Central only ;)

Just a gentle reminder to all:

To avoid any potential confusion we do ask people use correct railway station codes (e.g. Glasgow Central is GLC; the nearest railway station to GLA airport is Paisley Gilmour Street which is PYG) and, the first time a station is referred to, for the full name to be used.

Thanks! :)
Er, Glasgow Airport is exactly where I'm going - via Glasgow Central and a direct bus from adjacent to the station!
**I did mean Glasgow Central though...**

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
If you get on the train and it's full/standing with an advances ticket - or you simply want a bit more comfort, can you go and sit in first class and pay the upgrade, and if so, how is the difference worked out?

Thanks

If you have an Advance Ticket won't you have a seat reservation?

Established Member
I like your style, although I doubt it judging from their conversation. [emoji38]
I can trump that. I was talking to an American tourist the other day and he told me that hadn't quite made it to Edinburgh Waverley to join the rest of his party on the way to London. The first cab to the station had the family, he was in the second taxi with the luggage, but he missed the train.

What do you do? Change your ticket on to the next train and get someone to help you with the cases? No, you get the taxi to go all the way to London.

£1400 for seven hours in a TX4 surrounded by suitcases, never again should we complain about overpriced journeys in what we consider to be noisy or uncomfortable trains. :)

Howardh

Established Member
If you have an Advance Ticket won't you have a seat reservation?

Supposed to, but if the train is cancelled there's no chance on the next - and it could well be full. Had that happen a few times in winter on that route! Must admit once when I got to Preston and found my train to Glasgow was cancelled, the earlier one was running late so I got that (and a seat, but not - obviously - the ticketed one).
Anyone had any probs being allowed to catch a late-running earlier train when your own has been cancelled?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Anyone had any probs being allowed to catch a late-running earlier train when your own has been cancelled?
I haven't had any problems. Though I seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was forced to wait for their heavily-delayed booked service rather than being allowed on an earlier one.

Howardh

Established Member
I haven't had any problems. Though I seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was forced to wait for their heavily-delayed booked service rather than being allowed on an earlier one.

That's an interesting point.
Suppose the delay meant missing a connection further down the line, would staff be more agreeable to allow a change so you could make that connection?

87 027

I have been refused in such circumstances. And the missed connection was the last service of the day.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Most of the time I have found VTWC staff to be accommodating in such circumstances, although not all (particularly station staff).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure where GLA is, but a 1st class single from Preston to Glasgow Central is £55.60 off-peak or £101 during peak, so it could end up being an expensive upgrade.

£55.60 is hardly expensive, particularly for an off-peak fare with generous peak restrictions. It's the same price as a SVH (let alone a SVS!) plus the weekend upgrade.

The first class single fare to London (similar distance) is £240.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
£55.60 is hardly expensive, particularly for an off-peak fare with generous peak restrictions. It's the same price as a SVH (let alone a SVS!) plus the weekend upgrade.

The first class single fare to London (similar distance) is £240.
Depends on your definition of 'expensive' I suppose.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have been refused in such circumstances. And the missed connection was the last service of the day.

I assume you were then given a taxi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can trump that. I was talking to an American tourist the other day and he told me that hadn't quite made it to Edinburgh Waverley to join the rest of his party on the way to London. The first cab to the station had the family, he was in the second taxi with the luggage, but he missed the train.

What do you do? Change your ticket on to the next train and get someone to help you with the cases? No, you get the taxi to go all the way to London.

£1400 for seven hours in a TX4 surrounded by suitcases, never again should we complain about overpriced journeys in what we consider to be noisy or uncomfortable trains. :)

I had a railway taxi Preston to Edinburgh during disruption once - two hours in the back of a Galaxy with bags on the other side...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

87 027

I assume you were then given a taxi?

I boarded the train anyway, prepared to pay up and argue my case with customer relations afterwards. In the event my ticket was never checked during the journey, so nothing further came of it. The TOC was VTWC, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.