• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend 1st on a Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Would weekend first be available on Monday 7th May (travelling on the 08:30 EC service from EDB to KGX). My diary states it is a holiday Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Would weekend first be available on Monday 7th May (travelling on the 08:30 EC service from EDB to KGX). My diary states it is a holiday Monday.

Don't see why not, it is a bank holiday and EC offer the upgrade on bank holidays.

IainH

Last year, when returning from Dundee to London on a bank holiday, I attempted to upgrade and was told that as first class was "busy" I could not. As unfortunately EC now don't allow pre booking of the supplement no other option.

island

Veteran Member
I believe they say it's on a space-available basis or similar wording.

wintonian

Established Member
Sometimes I think its subject to availability of ticket stock rather than seats when you upgrade to get a seat only for first to become standing like the rest of the train and you relies that you are most likely the only person with a valid first class ticket and by being honest in seeking out the guard to buy one yo have lost out.

Ok, this is fairly rare but it has happened to me twice now. :-x

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Sometimes I think its subject to availability of ticket stock rather than seats when you upgrade to get a seat only for first to become standing like the rest of the train and you relies that you are most likely the only person with a valid first class ticket and by being honest in seeking out the guard to buy one yo have lost out.

Ok, this is fairly rare but it has happened to me twice now. :-x

Is there a bit missing in here?

David Goddard

Established Member
We travelled Peterborough to York and back today, upgrading in each direction and had no problem at all. Both services were reasonably quiet and so there was plenty of space to upgrade.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think he meant:

Sometimes I think its subject to availability of ticket stock rather than seats.

On two occasions I have upgraded to Weekend First, only for First to become full and standing like the rest of the train, and I realised that I was most likely the only person with a valid first class ticket and by being honest in seeking out the guard to buy one I have lost out.

Although what doesn't quite make sense is that for Weekend First, you find a seat and the guard charges you the supplement. Part of the reason for only allowing such upgrades on board is that they should only be issued if a seat is spare! So this situation should never happen.

If 1st Class becomes declassified with Standard passengers having to stand throughout 1st Class, then the Weekend 1st supplement should be refunded. If EC have refused to do this, I'd be surprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.