• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend Class 387/1 GWR diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransportHub

Hello All

Does anyone have the diagrams for the 387s west of Reading on the SO.
I'm thinking of heading out that way on Saturday (13th Jan) with the camera

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Hello All

Thanks
Anything listed in the GWR timetable with a lightning bolt above should be operated by Electrostar.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Hello All

Thanks

I have, there’s quite a few! It should be a safe bet to see some 387s if you venture to Reading. Are you thinking of a particular time slot at somewhere like Didcot?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surely the question here is whether the workings are 4 or 8 car in the Saturday timetable since there is a basic 6 hour pattern from Paddington to Reading and back then Paddington to Didcot and back. This runs every half hour. So in a 6 hour period, you see all the units working west of Reading. Given the frequency and the fact they are replacing 3-car Turbos, 4-car should be enough?

Then there are presumably two 4-cars doing the Hayes shuttles.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Surely the question here is whether the workings are 4 or 8 car in the Saturday timetable since there is a basic 6 hour pattern from Paddington to Reading and back then Paddington to Didcot and back. This runs every half hour. So in a 6 hour period, you see all the units working west of Reading. Given the frequency and the fact they are replacing 3-car Turbos, 4-car should be enough?

All the stoppers to Didcot parkway should be 387s.
The majority of them should be 8 coaches long, since a 4 coach set has less capacity than a 3 car 165.

SWT_USER

I seriously hope there are not 4 car diagrams running - effectively a cut in capacity!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What is the position when a Voyager and 387 share one of the through relief line platforms 13 and 14 at Reading? Can a Voyager and 8-387 share the platform or is the 387 limited to 4-car.

2R47 1512 London Paddington to Reading and 1O88 1235 York to Reading appear to share platform 14 at around 4pm on Saturday.

Nippy

They do fit. But it sounds a bit of a faff from what I overhear.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Platform stopping positions at Reading are extremely restrictive and there are some poorly positioned AWS magnets. An 8-car 387 and a Voyager will not fit in the same platform.

cactustwirly

Established Member
To be fair it was never rare for me to end up on a 2 car 165 on the route, surely anything is better than that?!

Before September, most trains on that route were 3-6 car 165/6s which offered more seating capacity than a 4 car 387.

2 car 165s were only used, because there weren't enough 3 car turbos, in fact they were completely inadequate for services east of Slough

Status
Not open for further replies.