• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend closures between Shrewsbury and Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonard clive

I've scanned back through recent posts and cannot see anything on why Shrewsbury to Newport is being closed for successive weekends. Apologies if I have missed it.

Does anyone know why please? Gauging work for MK4s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
I've scanned back through recent posts and cannot see anything on why Shrewsbury to Newport is being closed for successive weekends. Apologies if I have missed it.

Does anyone know why please? Gauging work for MK4s?
Possible, down as structures work as well as track maintenance, earthworks and veg clearance.

Furryanimal

previous experience tells me this could be an annual event.And yet again my rugby team have got a fixture up in North Wales when it is happening!
Hereford to Shrewsbury was closed last weekend (and I think this) before the closure gets extended to Newport.A big stretch of line to close!

NI 271

Not in one weekend it won't :D
The NR release shows closures over six consecutive weekends. I worked on it over the weekend just gone, the up was replaced (I'd guess at around 400 yards of it, maybe more, straddling the level crossing) and the crossover adjacent to the Down goods loop was plain lined on the up side. Presumably the down will follow this weekend, or on one of the subsequent weekend closures. I'm not party to the plans but I'm guessing a new crossover will be placed Hereford side of the level crossing, presumably before RHTT season starts as it reverses at Craven Arms.

AY1975

Established Member
Possible, down as structures work as well as track maintenance, earthworks and veg clearance.
I'm guessing that there must be work taking place at several different locations all along the route to justify closures all the way from Shrewsbury to Newport, although the press release quoted in entry 4 above only mentions level crossing work at Craven Arms.

I understand that last Sunday there were Cardiff-Hereford shuttles, though.

Redonian

Work on the level crossing at Leominster on 2nd and 3rd October resulting in diversions of traffic on the A44.

AY1975

Established Member
Work on the level crossing at Leominster on 2nd and 3rd October resulting in diversions of traffic on the A44.
Leominster is still north of Hereford, though, so I presume there must also be works taking place in at least one location south of Hereford (or that Network Rail/Transport for Wales have chosen to close the entire line between Shrewsbury and Newport purely for operational convenience).

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'm guessing that there must be work taking place at several different locations all along the route to justify closures all the way from Shrewsbury to Newport, although the press release quoted in entry 4 above only mentions level crossing work at Craven Arms.

I understand that last Sunday there were Cardiff-Hereford shuttles, though.
Various points work at Craven Arms, looks like work on the River Usk bridge near Newport as well as some others slightly further north, track work around Maindee, earthworks between Pontrilas and Abergavenny. Veg clearance south of Hereford.

6Gman

Established Member
Various points work at Craven Arms, looks like work on the River Usk bridge near Newport as well as some others slightly further north, track work around Maindee, earthworks between Pontrilas and Abergavenny. Veg clearance south of Hereford.
So basically it looks as though they are taking (sensible) full advantage of a closure by carrying out a whole range of works at different locations and - by the looks of it - using a range of skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.