• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend First - XC or EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

Planning on going to Nottingham on Saturday. Not too bothered which route I go and wanted to do a Weekend First upgrade but not sure which TOC to go with. Been with XC loads of times but never been with EMT at all (in fact not even been out of St. Pancreas!)

So which would you all recommend and why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
Giz a clue... From where?

Whatever... All XC services to Nottingham are Turbonasties, EMT a mix of HSTs and 222s. I've no idea what XCs first service is like on a Saturday, but EMT first at weekend is just the bigger seat free wifi and a free drink from the trolley, and EMTs first lounges are not open at weekends

Andy

calc7

Established Member
Via RDG the only interesting bits are Didcot power station and Aynho Jct. Whilst the MML isn't that fantastic, I would prefer it to XC!

Skymonster

Established Member
So I suppose it's FGW HST and then EMT HST/222 or XC 220 to Derby then 170... I prefer HSTs so I'd go via London, but that's personal preference - at least the tubes working between Paddington and St.Pancras this weekend!

Captain Chaos

I do prefer the HST's myself too and don't like Voyagers much although I don't mind the First Class at the Weekend on them.

Tubes working is a bonus too so it's looking good for Via London. I was just wondering if there is any actual difference between the service levels between them at all. If it's no different then I may as well go with EMT I guess.

Can anyone tell me what the EMT HST's are like inside? Are they the same as FGW's or are they more of the old style?

Skymonster

Established Member
EMT HSTs have all been refurbed in the last year or two (recarpet, new lights, power at seat in first only, reupholstered) but they kept the old seat frames etc, so they're more "old style" than FGWs

Andy

Captain Chaos

EMT HSTs have all been refurbed in the last year or two (recarpet, new lights, power at seat in first only, reupholstered) but they kept the old seat frames etc, so they're more "old style" than FGWs

Andy

Sounds good then. I think I'm sold an EMT HST trip then. Would be nice to experience an old style HST seat again!

Also coming back with EC via Grantham in 1st as I managed to bag a cheap ticket with them so will hopefully be able to report back in the never-ending thread that is the EC 1st Class Food Thread about my first experience of it

Status
Not open for further replies.