Weekend first

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Rimcdo, 7 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rimcdo

Rimcdo Member

Hi there,

I would be grateful for some advice on W/E upgrades.

Firstly: I have a F&F railcard and frequently travel with my 15 year old son. What is the upgrade price fir him on E/C? Is there a different price like there is on Virgin?

Secondly: If I purchase a weekend upgrade from Bury St Edmunds, is this valid all the way through to Manchester (assuming I do not use either EC or Virgin)?

Thank you in advance.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. heart-of-wessex

heart-of-wessex Established Member

4. lemonic

lemonic Member

There are no direct trains from Bury St Edmunds to Manchester.

5. Rimcdo

Rimcdo Member

No there are no direct trains to Manchester. Just wondered if I upgraded and changed at Peterborough to Birmingham then up to Manchester. Didn't twig it was only valid on one train.

Thanks for the link to nat rail upgrade but that still has the old prices (not the £15 from Peterborough and no mention of children whatsoever.

6. YorkshireRider

YorkshireRider Established Member

On EC the price is per ticket regardless if its adult or child, so £15 each, one way from Peterbrough, if you are planning a trip in next couple of weekends be aware of the engineering diversions on the ECML.

7. Squaddie

Squaddie Established Member

It's probably worth mentioning that a first-class Advance ticket is frequently cheaper than the combined cost of a standard Advance and a weekend upgrade, and especially so when there is a change of train involved.

8. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

from peterborough (in fact, Ely) you're surely quicker, unless there's engineering work, to go direct on EMT, on which there's no 1st class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.