• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
hello,

I have an unexpected free weekend and after the really helpful advice here to visit the Bluebell Railway ( it was great - pics going onto Flick) on my last weekend off i am after more suggestions!

I want to travel to a preserved railway on Saturday. As it is last minute i will pay up to £50 on train fares to get there as I don't have a car. My plan was to do the Nene Valley but the only have a small austerity tank engine working so i will save that visit for something better.

My back up was the SVR but i wonder if anyone can suggest something better. Over to you and thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Kent & East Sussex (if you are not joining the forum trip there this weekend)?

Milton Keynes to Headcorn is £44.10 return (or may be cheaper if you speedily book advances for Milton Keynes-London and London-Milton Keynes, and then a £17.60 return from Victoria to Headcorn: trains this weekend are departing from Victoria due to Thameslink works at London Bridge). Then there would be a return bus fare on the hourly No.12 bus from Headcorn to Tenterden (I don't know the amount, but hopefully not much above £6 return).

Edit: or a £40.60 MKC-Hastings day return "via Kensingon Olympia" and then the 2-hourly 349 bus to Bodiam (and back): bus fare is £6.40 return or £6.50 for a stagecoach South East day explorer.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
thanks - I was about to book for the above but I had forgotten it is a bank holiday weekend so one of the three day rovers ( east or west mids) suddenly looks like a fun idea

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In the end i did the GWR gala on Saturday and ended up at the SVR yesterday after being let down by a mate who i planned to meet in Brum for a few pints.

A nice weekend but my budget has been busted!

Status
Not open for further replies.