• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend Holyhead-Cardiff services curtailed at Shrewsbury from 9th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I don't know how I missed this, and from searching back through previous posts I can't see that it's been discussed.

In planning a journey next month, I've found that the current through service between Holyhead and Cardiff on Saturdays (7/8 each way) and Sunday (2 each way) is being withdrawn south of Shrewsbury. It's sat there in black and white on Arriva's current timetable booklets, so it's no sudden move on their part.

Is this being done to thin out the trains running while Newport-Shrewsbury is resignalled? Or is it a sign that patronage is lower on weekends? I note that Realtime Trains currently shows the services running through to Cardiff in the next timetable period (15th May onwards).

(I'm sure that if Merlodlliw were still with us, there'd be no way I'd have missed this.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
It's in the NRT with 15 minutes extra time between Cwmbran and Newport in each direction, which suggests localised engineering works and perhaps SLW?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Trains in each direction going round the Maindee Curve and reversing East Usk Jn. thus necessary to thin the service out for pathing.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Somebody in a panic this morning tweeted to ATW to say on Manchester train but is returning to Newport and no announcements on train as to what is happening. ATW explained due Engineering Work taking different route out of Newport.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Somebody in a panic this morning tweeted to ATW to say on Manchester train but is returning to Newport and no announcements on train as to what is happening. ATW explained due Engineering Work taking different route out of Newport.

Heh. I remember being in a similar position: in my case I started worrying whether I'd boarded the right service at Cardiff. Thankfully I was able to make an educated guess that we were going round the far side of Maindee curve, rather than resorting to Twitter. :)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Must be for electrification work on the SWML. It can't be resignalling as that was all done fairly recently.
All trains seem to be using P1 at Newport westbound, P2 eastbound, so maybe the Mains are out of use around Maindee West Jn.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Must be for electrification work on the SWML. It can't be resignalling as that was all done fairly recently.
All trains seem to be using P1 at Newport westbound, P2 eastbound, so maybe the Mains are out of use around Maindee West Jn.

The electrification work should start at Newport as from the 11th but at the West End. I think it is something else but don't know exactly what. It is a well pre-planned occupation as it is reflected by a dated period in the Timetable rather than by STP arrangement. As it's in the Timetable there would be no Engineering Occupation listed on NRE or ATW Websites as,in effect, there are no train alterations.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW Tweeters have received a request to arrange that Conductors on services diverted via the Maindee Curve and East Usk make on board announcements due to the number of passengers who have become confused as to where the train is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.