• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend in London - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavenlyharry

Hi all

I am hoping that someone could point me in the right direction towards the cheapest travel fare to London and around London.

Heres what I would like for 2 adults

Depart Friday 17th April Morning from Evesham, Honeybourne, Stratford Upon Avon or Cheltenham to London

Return Sunday 19th April Afternoon

Travel on tube over the weekend.

Ive never spent a whole weekedn in London and I have never travelled from where I live now. Years ago I would get a one day travel card for about £20!! But I guess those days are long gone!!!
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave_wm

Well, from Stratford-on-Avon, you can get an £18.50 each Super Off-Peak Return fare thats valid on the following trains from Stratford on Friday;
1140 (arr 1355) or 1340 (arr 1553) and the following return trains from London Marylebone on Sunday; 1333 (arr 1554), 1533 (arr 1754) and 1735 (arr 1954).
You can buy this ticket on the day, or in advance if you wish.

From Cheltenham Spa, you can do it with advance singles for £9 each (total £36), they're available on 1231 from Cheltenham (arr London Paddington 1439) and the 1837 back from London Padddington (arr Cheltenham 2116). Be quick if you want to book these, they'll tend to sell out pretty quickly.

From Evesham and Honeybourne, no advance fares are available and the actual fares are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't bother that way.

Once you get to London, Day Travelcards (Bus, Tube, Local Trains etc) are available for £5.60 per day (each) in Zones 1-2, £6.30 in Zones 1-4 and £7.50 in Zones 1-6. See this page http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/oneand3daytickets/2911.aspx for more info.

Hope that helps :D

David

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you need onward travel from Marylebone you may be able to get a through ticket. e.g. SAV-CLJ is £20 - only £1.50 more than to Marylebone, and that gives you a cross-London transfer (versus £1.50 each way on Oyster plus the faff of getting Oyster cards).

Saying that though, if you are just doing a couple of tube journeys on Saturday or Sunday you may be better off with Oyster than a travelcard.

It really depends on where in London you are staying and how much you will be travelling in London each day.

heavenlyharry

Thanks for the help.
My DH decided that he only wanted to travel from Honeybourne, as its in walking distance. Ive bought the tickets, and although much dearer than the deals you found I didn't think it was too bad.

Thanks once again, a great forum

snowhill

Hi Guys,

Rather than open a new thread can you advise if Travelcards are subject to Railcard discounts.

I've been given conflicting advice with one guy saying he couldn't get a discount when booking them on the day in London whilst someone else says he books from his local station in the Midlands the day before travelling and gets a discount.

Sounds queer to me so would very much appreciate your advice

Dave

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An All Zones off peak Travelcard is £5 with a railcard.
And in addition Railcard discounts are available on Oyster PAYG, although they want you to register your card beforehand.

A60K

An All Zones off peak Travelcard is £5 with a railcard.

Except that if you've got a Network Railcard then the minimum fare applies Monday to Friday. Saying that, LU ticket offices have given me the discounted price even he a weekday :)

snowhill

Hi Guys,

I thought I had already sent a reply but it looks as if I hit the wrong button - old age is a cursed affliction!!

Anyway many thanks for you help and advice which is a great help. Up to now I have always bought a day return inclusive of a Travelcard so have no experience of buying one seperately. However, have got one of W&SMR's £1 day returns to Marylebone from Tame Bridge Parkway so will need to get a TC to get around.

Cheers

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.