• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend World opening theme. Railway footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

Can anyone identify the location or is the footage of random locations? Was the railway footage a normal part of this programme's opening credits?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
I think the junction with the HST is Clay Cross and it’s heading south from Chesterfield. The initial footage could well be Tapton Junction just north of Chesterfield.

Condor7

I can’t help with the location, but can tell you the brilliant music is Nantucket Sleighride by the band Mountain. Out of interest a Nantucket Sleighride comes from the past when whaling boats were pulled along at great speed by a harpooned whale.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was the railway footage a normal part of this programme's opening credits?

No- the video shows a Virgin trains liveried HST at about 0.50 secs in. Weekend World stopped broadcasting in 1988 long before Virgin trains was even thought of. The video is therefore obviously "doctored"!

transmanche

Established Member
No- the video shows a Virgin trains liveried HST at about 0.50 secs in. Weekend World stopped broadcasting in 1988 long before Virgin trains was even thought of. The video is therefore obviously "doctored"!
Plus, the LWT ident used wasn't introduced until about 1996 - long after the programme ceased broadcasting. And the music clip used is much longer than would have been used for the opening titles - although may have been used for the closing credits.

I suspect the uploader has merely used the railway footage to 'pad out' the video so it matches the length of the audio.

Taunton

Established Member
I recall the programme well, and would certainly have remembered such an intro. It was also not so long. They would cut in different film sequences each edition, with subtitle overlays, to suit the stories of the week.

Here's the style that was normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.