• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekender Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a shame there aren't more weekender type tickets, or even a promotion to allow a return to be extended to 9, 10 or 11am the next day on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
or even a promotion to allow a return to be extended to 9, 10 or 11am the next day on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

But that would be the TOC doing itself out of money and whilst it sounds nice in the customer service way, no real business would purposely do themselves out of income surely?

infobleep

Veteran Member
But that would be the TOC doing itself out of money and whilst it sounds nice in the customer service way, no real business would purposely do themselves out of income surely?
So why did First Capital Connect offer a weekend ticket? To do themselves out of income?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

gray1404

Established Member
Well, it committed people to travel on their TOC, rather then the revenue going to Southern. They were separate TOCs in those days.

jon0844

Veteran Member
So why did First Capital Connect offer a weekend ticket? To do themselves out of income?

A nice way to make a bit extra, giving people that bit of added security - although I am not sure if you can still use it to come back the same night?

If so, great. If not, it still means you have to know if you're going to be out all night.

The benefit of such a ticket is for nights out where you're not sure how or when you're getting back. (Well, actually, for many it's living where you can use Oyster and not have to worry at all!).

gray1404

Established Member
I miss the overnighter tickets on Thameslink between Brighton and London (and vv) too. They were very useful and suddenly just disappeared; even though all of the other TL Only fares stayed.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I miss the overnighter tickets on Thameslink between Brighton and London (and vv) too. They were very useful and suddenly just disappeared; even though all of the other TL Only fares stayed.

They were introduced as a temporary fare, and clearly lived up to that description!

crehld

Established Member

Offering an attractive ticket to customers who would otherwise not consider travelling by rail would attract more patronage onto trains which are already being run at a cost to the TOC and would otherwise be carrying around air. It makes absolutely perfect business sense, in addition to being nice in a customer service way.

trentside

Established Member
Offering an attractive ticket to customers who would otherwise not consider travelling by rail would attract more patronage onto trains which are already being run at a cost to the TOC and would otherwise be carrying around air. It makes absolutely perfect business sense, in addition to being nice in a customer service way.

And at the end of the day, such tickets potentially attract more customers to the railway at other times. A bit of clever marketing and/or good customer service can go a long way to gaining repeat business, even when promotions aren't available.

Clip

Established Member

Though from experience the trains late at night are not carrying around empty air at a weekend so your point is moot.

crehld

Established Member
Though from experience the trains late at night are not carrying around empty air at a weekend so your point is moot.

It's not moot at all. Even selling cheap tickets on an already rammed train to attract additional custom and revenue makes great businesses sense, as you increase revenue while your costs remain the same (i.e. profits go up). Just look at London Midland's approach to their Trent Valley services - capacity is significantly stretched but that hasn't stopped them offering dirt cheap advances and cheap walk-up LM only fares to increase passenger numbers and therefore increase revenue.

Clip

Established Member
Well it is, especially as tghis thread has been chopped from another which makes my first post sound out of context now.

Clip

Established Member
However I will add that the weekender ticket SET do is good value

Class 466

Established Member
Southeastern's Weekender fares were very popular with customers in my time in a TO!

Status
Not open for further replies.