• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weight of BR MK1 TSO, SO and Corridor Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the exact unladen weights of MK1 TSO, SO and Corridor coaches. All of which are the longer 64'6" version. I am trying to calculate the combined weight of all the coaches on the Torbay Express. I would prefer any answers to be Metric tonnes but imperials tons are fine as i can easily convert.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sean Emmett

Well on 03/06/2018 I made it 430 tons tare for the 12 coaches incl support, 465 tons gross incl pax and allowance for equipment and stores.

The TSOs will be 36 or 37 tons tare if on Commonwealth bogies, 33 tons if on B4s.

Don't rely on the plated weights as these may be the originals as built with BR 1 bogies.

Well on 03/06/2018 I made it 430 tons tare for the 12 coaches incl support, 465 tons gross incl pax and allowance for equipment and stores.

The TSOs will be 36 or 37 tons tare if on Commonwealth bogies, 33 tons if on B4s.

Don't rely on the plated weights as these may be the originals as built with BR 1 bogies.

Thanks for your help. Your information has definitely helped.

Just one question, what do you mean when you say "including pax"? What does "pax" mean.

Old Hill Bank

BR Mk1s were initially built with B1 bogies and apart from the Sleepers and Catering vehicles were all plated as 34 tons tare and 90mph. Many that survived into later years were upgraded to 100mph and fitted with B4 bogies and remained at 34 tons, others were fitted with heavier Commonwealth Bogies and were replated to 36 tons.

BR Mk1s were initially built with B1 bogies and apart from the Sleepers and Catering vehicles were all plated as 34 tons tare and 90mph. Many that survived into later years were upgraded to 100mph and fitted with B4 bogies and remained at 34 tons, others were fitted with heavier Commonwealth Bogies and were replated to 36 tons.

Thanks you very much.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The convention among train timers back in the days of OSNock et al was 16 passengers to 1 ton. However, people are heavier these days... :)
:lol: That’s a good point actually.

Regarding mk1s - Some BGs were plated for 110mph for the West Coast Mainline from what I remember. Were they on B4s does anyone know?

Sean Emmett

The convention among train timers back in the days of OSNock et al was 16 passengers to 1 ton. However, people are heavier these days... :)
IIRC correctly BR assumed 16 pax and their luggage to the ton. Need to check what latest is e.g. for IET.

For the Torbay Express I assume 4 tons for the pax in a TSO and 3 tons for a FO and the buffet, a ton or two for staff and stores in the kitchen and say a couple of tons for tbe spare equipment in the support coach.

For horspower calcs you need to add the weight of the loco 'in working order' (coaled and watered, boiler full) although of course coal and water are constantly being consumed - until replenished.

So all in all if you get the correct weight within say 5 tons you are doing well.

On the National Preservation forum most of the chat comparing different runs simply refers number of coaches, which is a good yardstick, but needs to take account that a 10 coach train with mainly Mk1s on B4s or Mk2s can weigh the same as a 9 coach rake of heavy Pullmans (the MetCams are 38 - 39 tons).

alexl92

Established Member
What is the heaviest design of coach used on the railways under BR?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
:lol: That’s a good point actually.

Regarding mk1s - Some BGs were plated for 110mph for the West Coast Mainline from what I remember. Were they on B4s does anyone know?

They were indeed, at least as I remember them Mr C.

RLBH

What is the heaviest design of coach used on the railways under BR?
Mark 3 SLEPs were 43.5 tonnes plus passengers, I can't think of anything heavier off the top of my head.

In really big handfuls, the rule used circa 1980 for passenger train loads was 35 tons per coach, except sleeping cars which were taken as 40 tons. It still seems to stick around today - look on RTT at timing loads for loco hauled services, they're almost all multiples of 35 tonnes.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Just a thought,but could perhaps the 6 wheel bogied LMS design sleeping cars built by BR in the early fifties and still in service into the early seventies take the crown for the heaviest vehicles?
I can't find any details but they must have tipped the scales at 47 plus tons.

Journeyman

Established Member
Just a thought,but could perhaps the 6 wheel bogied LMS design sleeping cars built by BR in the early fifties and still in service into the early seventies take the crown for the heaviest vehicles?
I can't find any details but they must have tipped the scales at 47 plus tons.

Yup - the Bluebell Railway have one, and according to their webpage about it, it's 47 tons.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Looking at the 1982 RCTS book for hauled coaches and picking out some heavy ones:
Mk2 Pullman Kitchens 40T
Various Mk1 catering car types 41T
Mk1 sleeper 2nd class 41T
Mk3 sleeper with pantry 43.5T
Mk1 Kitchen car (800xx series) 42T

and the "Royal Train Sleeper/Power Brake", M31209M, 50T. It had LMS six-wheel bogies, like those sleeping cars mentioned by Ash Bridge above, and presumably some kind of generator.

Edit: the 1976 RCTS book also lists two LMS Royal Saloons, M798M and M799M, six-wheel bogies again, at 56T each. I think they're now in the NRM collection - see http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co205855/queen-marys-saloon-railway-carriage where it says 799 was armoured, built 1941

Status
Not open for further replies.