• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird Happenings During Railtours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcmal

This episode from 2005 came to my mind today and I don't think it's ever been referred to on Railforums. A class 33 ran out of fuel and was rescued by a tractor - the farming variety and not a class 37 :lol::lol:

What other whacky stories do people have from railtours over the years?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DGH 1

This episode from 2005 came to my mind today and I don't think it's ever been referred to on Railforums. A class 33 ran out of fuel and was rescued by a tractor - the farming variety and not a class 37 :lol::lol:

What other whacky stories do people have from railtours over the years?
I don't think it constitute's as weird, but on an SRPS charter to Buxton once, there was a articulated ERF road tanker waiting on the old steam shed site to refuel the locomotives for the return journey North.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think it constitute's as weird, but on an SRPS charter to Buxton once, there was a articulated ERF road tanker waiting on the old steam shed site to refuel the locomotives for the return journey North.

That would have been a planned refueling. The one with the 33 wasn't

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
25th May 1991. The Coal Scuttler tour, while waiting at Annbank Jn to access the Killoch branch, was ambushed by a few scrotes throwing stones. Some of the passengers improvised water bombs using empty crisp packets some of which definitely found their mark. The kids did not reappear for the return journey. Just one of the reasons why that particular tour remains one of my all-time favourite rail journeys!

randyrippley

Established Member
25th May 1991. The Coal Scuttler tour, while waiting at Annbank Jn to access the Killoch branch, was ambushed by a few scrotes throwing stones. Some of the passengers improvised water bombs using empty crisp packets some of which definitely found their mark. The kids did not reappear for the return journey. Just one of the reasons why that particular tour remains one of my all-time favourite rail journeys!

Just water? :E

TheJoyOfSix

Something similar happened with AIA Charter's Brighton Rock when it got held at Acton Canal Wharf. The local scrotes started throwing stones at the train, luckily causing minimal damage. When it got the peg and started to move there was a return broadside of stones (collected from those thrown), beer bottles/cans, water bombs etc from pretty much every window and droplight.

Ostrich

And indeed, similar on an HST charter I was on (must have been in the 1990's) from Devon up to Craven Arms and down the Heart of Wales line. We were held, early evening, in the passing loop at Llandeilo station awaiting a northbound passenger service ex Swansea. The local scrotes started giving abuse from the platform on the other side. What they didn't realise was that we'd been told that because we were in for a lengthy wait, we could disembark if we wanted - and they were suddenly confronted by around 100 burly West Countrymen rounding the far end of the train on the barrow crossing and heading straight for them. They scarpered! :E

I remember we all swept majestically up the road into the town centre - I bet the chippie could have retired on the extra takings he got that night …. :lol:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Something similar happened with AIA Charter's Brighton Rock when it got held at Acton Canal Wharf. The local scrotes started throwing stones at the train, luckily causing minimal damage. When it got the peg and started to move there was a return broadside of stones (collected from those thrown), beer bottles/cans, water bombs etc from pretty much every window and droplight.

Another memorable tour. The delay was due to the discovery that Neasden S Jn box had been switched out meaning the booked route for the tour via the Chiltern line was now inaccessible so use of the WCML had to be arranged. A1A tours always seemed to come with some sort of odd incident during the day but without actually spoiling it.

And indeed, similar on an HST charter I was on (must have been in the 1990's) from Devon up to Craven Arms and down the Heart of Wales line. We were held, early evening, in the passing loop at Llandeilo station awaiting a northbound passenger service ex Swansea. The local scrotes started giving abuse from the platform on the other side. What they didn't realise was that we'd been told that because we were in for a lengthy wait, we could disembark if we wanted - and they were suddenly confronted by around 100 burly West Countrymen rounding the far end of the train on the barrow crossing and heading straight for them. They scarpered! :E

I remember we all swept majestically up the road into the town centre - I bet the chippie could have retired on the extra takings he got that night …. :lol:

Reminds me of an impromptu kickabout during the Knighton Horse tour which had an hour's wait at Knighton due to the difficulty of pathing on the HOWL. Similar happened on the Aggregator which had an hour at Cranmore: the East Somerset Rly insisted that anyone wanting to look around their premises had to pay an entrance charge so us cheapskates opted for a bit of footie!

delt1c

Established Member
How about the Deltic Deliverance which was incorrectly routed on the through lines at Doncaster and had to then reverse back

DelW

Established Member
A couple of railtour routing problems I remember from the early 2000s...

One leaving Paddington to head to the Chiltern line via Greenford. Soon after leaving PAD it became evident we were on a track too far south to get across onto the single line to Greenford. Came to a stand at Southall, pause then driver changed ends and set off slowly eastwards, taking a series of crossovers to get to the north side. West side of the triangle then up the Greenford loop and back on route, but now with "facing" seats looking backwards and vice versa.

Other a tour taking a Eurostar set through the tunnel then to Paris via "classic" lines. Halfway from Calais to Paris, sudden stop and pause. We were told that the signaller had tried to route us back onto the HS line. Finally carried on as planned. One can imagine a conversation between signaller and driver: "You're a Eurostar - what are you doing on that line - why do you want to stay on it?" "I've got a trainload of British cranks, they want to go this way".

Whistler40145

Established Member
Was on a railtour that was booked to do the flyover at Doncaster and without knowing, we’d left Peter Watts from Pathfinder Tours on the platform.

AJM580

Nenta Traintours trip to Kyle of Lochalsh. 1991, 47806 failed on the Highland Mainline and was rescued by 47593 hauling the 16 coach Highland sleeper. The entire 28 coach train was pushed/pulled by 47593 to Dalwhinnie where 47604 took over to Inverness

Malcmal

How about the Deltic Deliverance which was incorrectly routed on the through lines at Doncaster and had to then reverse back

I had to smile reading this post. I was on that tour and remember that "back and forth" at Doncaster. But what made me smile was that the Deltic catching fire would surely be the bigger occurrence by FAR on that tour :D:D

Happy memories:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had to smile reading this post. I was on that tour and remember that "back and forth" at Doncaster. But what made me smile was that the Deltic catching fire would surely be the bigger occurrence by FAR on that tour :D:D

Happy memories:

I also know how @delt1c reacted to that fire, because @Ash Bridge was there too and he saw the panic in his eyes... ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I also know how @delt1c reacted to that fire, because @Ash Bridge was there too and he saw the panic in his eyes... ;)

Oh yes indeed Mr Cowley, I'll never forget the look on his face as D9000 without warning began to draw the train forward with @delt1c still on the platform at Berwick-upon-Tweed whilst I was safe on board with our beers on the table in front of me :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh yes indeed Mr Cowley, I'll never forget the look on his face as D9000 without warning began to draw the train forward with @delt1c still on the platform at Berwick-upon-Tweed whilst I was safe on board with our beers on the table in front of me :D
Ah. I didn’t realise that there was beer involved.
Are we saying that the thought of a table full of beers heading off into the distance was more of a worry for him than the self combustion of D9000 under the wooden canopy at Berwick..?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Similarish to the opening post, on The Bristol Coal-Stone Haul on 3rd June 2007 50049 ran low on water and was topped up by a hosepipe from somebody’s back garden who lived next to the Tytherington branch. A Spitfire railtour to the Eastleigh area, probably around 2007 – 2009, failed to stop twice. The first time it was routed on the through line at Eastleigh and had to reverse. The second time was a set down at Didcot Parkway and went storming through without stopping. Passengers for Didcot had to catch the service train back from Oxford.

Malcmal

Similarish to the opening post, on The Bristol Coal-Stone Haul on 3rd June 2007 50049 ran low on water and was topped up by a hosepipe from somebody’s back garden who lived next to the Tytherington branch. A Spitfire railtour to the Eastleigh area, probably around 2007 – 2009, failed to stop twice. The first time it was routed on the through line at Eastleigh and had to reverse. The second time was a set down at Didcot Parkway and went storming through without stopping. Passengers for Didcot had to catch the service train back from Oxford.

Brilliant stories appearing here. Just what I was hoping for when I started the thread. I went Googling and found a picture of 50049 being refilled with the hosepipe:

50049_iron_acton.jpg

delt1c

Established Member
Nothing comes between a Scotsman and his beer , not even a Fire Breathing Deltic

Mathieu

Nenta Traintours trip to Kyle of Lochalsh. 1991, 47806 failed on the Highland Mainline and was rescued by 47593 hauling the 16 coach Highland sleeper. The entire 28 coach train was pushed/pulled by 47593 to Dalwhinnie where 47604 took over to Inverness
Are there any pictures out there of this?

d9009alycidon

Did the "305 Coast to Coast" railtour organised by Scotrail and a points failure actually gained us some unplanned rateable track. We were due to cross from the down Ayr line to Terminus Junction at Shields Junction but the points failed there and it looked as though we were heading for a reversal at Bridge Street, but control must have had sympathy on us as we were reversed over the rarely used Smithy Lye through siding back to Shields then to Terminus Junction as per plan

packermac

Did the tour from Paddington to Stratford on Avon 22/03/92 first pick up was Gerrards Cross, which was where it was discovered we had left the guard at Paddington. We left from one of the more highly curved platforms and I think he had to move a long way from the train to check all the doors. A Guard (not the original one I believe) eventually had to walk up from the signal behind the train before we could proceed.
In the evening of course on the way back the safety valves were removed at Ladbroke Grove by a low bridge. Loud bang any many locals apparently called the Met about an IRA bomb going off in West London. Eventually dragged into P1 by 47847 according to my records.

trebor79

Established Member
A personal "weird" happening. On my first ever railtour, would have been about 2000. Durham down to York where Blue Peter then hauled us back North to Carlisle, then back to York via Copy Pit, diesel back to Durham (and Newcastle).
Anyway, during the tour there was an on board raffle. Top prize a huge and rather spectacular original oil painting by David Sheppard. I was tempted but didn't buy a ticket as I didn't have anywhere to put such an item, and anyway I was an impoverished student and would hardly be likely to win anyway.
After I'd passed in the opportunity, the chap next to me bought a ticket... Yup, he won the painting!

Status
Not open for further replies.