• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird Happenings During Railtours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcmal

Did the tour from Paddington to Stratford on Avon 22/03/92 first pick up was Gerrards Cross, which was where it was discovered we had left the guard at Paddington. We left from one of the more highly curved platforms and I think he had to move a long way from the train to check all the doors. A Guard (not the original one I believe) eventually had to walk up from the signal behind the train before we could proceed.

While not a railtour you remind me of my favourite Irish Rail story. Some time in the 70's or 80's a guard at Dublin Heuston waved off his train as normal and jumped into the guards van only to discover that this was a SPARE van that had been shunted up against the buffers :D:D Apparently a taxi was hurriedly summoned to take him out to the first stop west - Newbridge or something like that where the train was held awaiting his arrival.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Not a railtour but a BR Merrymaker from Newcastle to Norwich and Bressingham in September 1977. The driver of 40084 forgot to stop at Thetford for the coach onwards to Bressingham and made a hastily-arranged stop at Eccles Road, to which the coach then had to be redirected. I assume those wanting Bressingham all had to move to the front or rear of the train to alight.

In the 1970s i went on a merrymaker trip to Torquay and paignton which called at our local station at walkden.the last pick up was Manchester victoria and we changed engines at Stockport and Birmingham New street.the motive power would have been the usual class 40 then a class 81-85 then on this trip a class 47.We seemed to be held up everywhere on the way down recovering some time in the South West but still too late to get into paignton for a welcome pint no allday opening then! Fortunately the driver failed to stop at Torquay and we all legged it to Henry's bar in paignton just before last orders.

AJM580

I found this on Flickr - looks very impressive alright!!

47593 Druimuachdar 250591 B by Mister C, on Flickr
mU2pqi

Great find, checking my old 35mm photos, and I reckon I'm one of those heads out of the windows!!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
image.jpeg image.jpeg
In the 1970s i went on a merrymaker trip to Torquay and paignton which called at our local station at walkden.the last pick up was Manchester victoria and we changed engines at Stockport and Birmingham New street.the motive power would have been the usual class 40 then a class 81-85 then on this trip a class 47.We seemed to be held up everywhere on the way down recovering some time in the South West but still too late to get into paignton for a welcome pint no allday opening then! Fortunately the driver failed to stop at Torquay and we all legged it to Henry's bar in paignton just before last orders.
Henry's Bar according to its sign was established in 1983.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Given the rumours of a 58 returning to action at an upcoming gala, it might be worth remembering that the "Class 58 Farewell" railtour back in the day got a bit too familiar with a set of buffer stops somewhere in Essex (Walton?)

If my memory serves me right I think it even got a mention on Have I Got News For You the following week!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Couldnt remember when it changed its name from the la taverna. I think Henry's bar was named after the new owners dog!
Thanks for that,you learn something new everyday! :D
Since the decent Wetherspoons closed at the top end of town we now frequent Henry's if we visit Paignton.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
"Decent Wetherspoons"???
Until recently Paignton had two Spoons,The Issac Merrett,a popular locals sort of pub and CAMRA recognised. The other ,the Talk of the Town,full of tourists,families and indifferent beer. Guess which one Mr Martin sold off!
Wetherspoons,like them or hate them ,that seems like a whole different thread!

Spartacus

Established Member
First tour I did was a Green Express up the Settle - Carlisle, we were booked to stop at, I think, Shipley, but sailed straight through followed by a rather harsh brake application, we stood in what felt like the middle of nowhere for about 10 minutes until we carried on.

Another random one was a BLS Merseyrail tour a few years ago. We came to a stand just outside Birkenhead North opposite the depot due to a points failure which resulted in much frothing as a service train proceeded go around us and get the much required rare track through the depot! :lol:

HSP 2

Did the tour from Paddington to Stratford on Avon 22/03/92 first pick up was Gerrards Cross, which was where it was discovered we had left the guard at Paddington. We left from one of the more highly curved platforms and I think he had to move a long way from the train to check all the doors. A Guard (not the original one I believe) eventually had to walk up from the signal behind the train before we could proceed.
In the evening of course on the way back the safety valves were removed at Ladbroke Grove by a low bridge. Loud bang any many locals apparently called the Met about an IRA bomb going off in West London. Eventually dragged into P1 by 47847 according to my records.

What was the loco please.

crosscity

I followed Deltic D9009 Alycidon when it passed through the West Midlands hauling 'The Welsh Central Liner' railtour in 2017. It was meant to drop-off passengers at Northfield then carry on along the Camp Hill line for stops at Tamworth and finally Burton. I went along to get a photo of it at Northfield and it sailed straight past! I drove to Kings Norton to see if I could see it there.

In the time it took me to get to Kings Norton the tour was diverted via New St and a special stop allowed at Kings Norton.

This is the first time I'd ever seen a Deltic call at Kings Norton on a passenger duty! I was sorely tempted to catch it, but bottled out - I didn't have a ticket, and might have had some explaining to do on the train or at New St (if I could get off), or catch a taxi back from Tamworth. I definitely would have to justify my actions to Mrs Crosscity!

Anyway, here is my photographic record. Not the best pictures, but it was late!

If anyone was on the train, did it stop at New St?

Sat 17 Jun 2017 at 22:09. Deltic Class 55 No D9009 ALYCIDON passes Northfield with 1Z54 the 17:25 Shrewsbury to Burton-on-Trent, 'The Welsh Central Liner railtour'. The train was meant to stop here, but didn't!
by Ray

Sat 17 Jun 2017 at 22:22. Deltic Class 55 No D9009 ALYCIDON arrives at Kings Norton for an unscheduled stop with 1Z54 the 17:25 Shrewsbury to Burton-on-Trent, 'The Welsh Central Liner railtour'.
by Ray

Sat 17 Jun 2017 at 22:23. Deltic Class 55 No D9009 ALYCIDON awaiting departure from Kings Norton with 1Z54 the 17:25 Shrewsbury to Burton-on-Trent, 'The Welsh Central Liner railtour'.
by Ray

Welshman

Established Member
Not a personal memoir as such, but an experience recorded in one of the railway reminiscence books of a guard in charge of a work's outing from Nottingham to Portsmouth Harbour.
The outward journey proceeded according to plan, and after closing down his train at the Harbour station, the guard decided to spend the spare time with a trip to the Isle of Wight. Unfortunately the return ferry broke down, and the panicking guard arrived back at Portsmouth Harbour just in time to see his train departing with a relief guard towards Reading.
So he caught the next train towards Reading, and arrived there just in time to see his train depart with another relief guard towards Birmingham. So he chased his train through Derby and all the way back to Nottingham, arriving just in time to see his train being stabled. Full of shame, he slunk off home, being careful to avoid anyone, and expecting to be carpeteted the next day.
When he turned up for duty, nothing was said the next day, nor the day afterwards, nor the following week, eventually leading him to relax and think he'd got away with it.
A year afterwards, when he'd quite forgotten the incident, he was rostered to work the same train, and on his roster there was a little note from the depot manager saying "See Me"
On reporting to the said personage, the manager simply looked him up and down and said:-
"Do try to work it back again this year"

Last edited:

HS 4000

Was on the WCRC Royal Duchy tour on 8/4/19 behind 6233 , We have a water stop at Exeter at David's on the return and this guy , absolutely bladderd boarded the train with a hip flask (we're in coach G at the rear ) and he as soon as he gets on he was like "bloody ell wasn't expecting the train to be this old " must have taken the rest of the water stop to explain how rail tours worked with him thinking it was a a regular service !!

father_jack

Brilliant stories appearing here. Just what I was hoping for when I started the thread. I went Googling and found a picture of 50049 being refilled with the hosepipe:

50049_iron_acton.jpg
That location was Latteridge Crossing in Iron Acton. The man who provided the hosepipe had had ongoing ructions with Network Rail over the years but appeared to like 50s so was happy to help to the surprise of NR people onboard. Sadly he was murdered in the crossing house in 2010, nobody was ever caught for the murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.