• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird language on Virgin's booking site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Having selected my journey, this popped up on the right of the page above my selections

What on earth are they on about?
'Do a favour for the future you'
might be a less confusing way of saying it. It took me a few moments to work out why the words were in that order
With mathematical brackets: 'Do (future you) (a favour)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is nothing wrong with the wording and it is perfectly clear what message is being delivered.

However, because it is slightly different and doesn't say book your advanced tickets now or some other approved conservative phrase it causes comment here.

There really is nothing to see here.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Hopefully the change of franchise will rid us of this juvenile nonsense

Juvenile nonsense, or a changing language? Our language has been evolving and changing for as long as it has existed. Perhaps these phrases are one that are aimed more at the younger generation of passenger, and thought up by a younger generation of staff?

trainophile

Established Member
Juvenile nonsense, or a changing language? Our language has been evolving and changing for as long as it has existed. Perhaps these phrases are one that are aimed more at the younger generation of passenger, and thought up by a younger generation of staff?

Do future you a favour like
Book now and save money like

:D :D

eastwestdivide

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with the wording and it is perfectly clear what message is being delivered.

However, because it is slightly different and doesn't say book your advanced tickets now or some other approved conservative phrase it causes comment here.

There really is nothing to see here.
I'd argue that if an advertising message confuses people at first sight (which it did when I read it, and presumably it did the same for the OP), then there is something wrong with the wording. Clarity = good, ambiguity and confusion = bad, for advertisers at least. Doesn't have to be conservative or approved language, but it helps to be clear.
Unless they're playing the long game and trying to get people to talk about them, in which case - job done!

Ethano92

There always seems to be Virgin bashing on this forum but don't they consistently reach some of the highest customer satisfaction rates? I agree I had to read the phrase twice but it still made sense (especially if you imagine a loud, exaggerated guy of the average TV advert saying it)

trainophile

Established Member
There always seems to be Virgin bashing on this forum but don't they consistently reach some of the highest customer satisfaction rates? I agree I had to read the phrase twice but it still made sense (especially if you imagine a loud, exaggerated guy of the average TV advert saying it)

Well I for one was confused dot com :lol: .

Darandio

Established Member
You are now discussing it on the internet with others, mission accomplished for them.

gazthomas

Established Member
It's not representative of language evolution, it's mumbo jumbo

gazthomas

Established Member
It's not representative of language evolution, it's mumbo jumbo. Language should be easy to interpret by all

najaB

Veteran Member
It's not representative of language evolution, it's mumbo jumbo. Language should be easy to interpret by all
Where it's something that has legal or similar impact, yes. Where advertising/branding fluff is concerned, less so.

Bantamzen

Established Member

To some maybe, but not to others, not that it matters too much for the Virgin brand at least. But it isn't going to change the fact that the language is always evolving, and it won't change the fact that some will always find issue with it instead of accepting that things don't stay the same.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd argue that if an advertising message confuses people at first sight (which it did when I read it, and presumably it did the same for the OP), then there is something wrong with the wording. Clarity = good, ambiguity and confusion = bad, for advertisers at least. Doesn't have to be conservative or approved language, but it helps to be clear.
Unless they're playing the long game and trying to get people to talk about them, in which case - job done!

Hopefully the change of franchise will rid us of this juvenile nonsense

It is perfectly clear what it means. I suspect the real issue is that this is Virgin and it isnt written in language that you are comfortable with. Perhaps it is because it is "yoof" based language

And you find legal language easy to understand? I salute you!

I find legal language very easy to understand.

It was written by Yoda i assume

No: A marketing executive who understand his breif and his clients target audience.

trainophile

Established Member
If they had just put “yourself” instead of “future you” it would have been perfectly clear. I suppose they would argue that people wouldn’t notice that.

So yes, mission accomplished :lol: .

gazthomas

Established Member
It is perfectly clear what it means. I suspect the real issue is that this is Virgin and it isnt written in language that you are comfortable with. Perhaps it is because it is "yoof" based language

I find legal language very easy to understand.

No: A marketing executive who understand his breif and his clients target audience.
I'm not that old!

sprunt

If they had just put “yourself” instead of “future you” it would have been perfectly clear.

You aren't allowed to use "yourself" when it's appropriate these days though - you're only allowed to use it when you should simply be using "you" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.