• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird Question About Filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Weird question, but I was just wondering...
Alot of cameras (including my phone) take pictures with filenames such as "DSC01234", But what happens when there have been so many pictures taken that it gets to DSC99999. Where is it supposed to go then?
What about if most of the pictures are still on the camera/phone? Surely if it tries to start again it can't rewrite old photos?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
It's a good point, though. My camera names them "100_7787" etc, so when it gets to 100_9999 it can just go to 101_0001, but those which go DSC01234 will presumably run out at DSC99999, unless they just add another digit.

For the benefit of everyone, my camera will never name two pictures the same, even if the memory card is empty. My camera will only ever create one photo called "100_7787" etc., unless the file is re-named.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Isn't it more likely to be the brand of camera than the memory card? The card is just used to store the photos. But, certain makes of camera (eg, FujiFilm) use the same kinds of memory cards across their range. If that makes sense :p
So basically you just get a lot of xD cards with "DSC" filenames on them. But this doesn't mean that the xD card names them that way.

thefab444

Established Member
On my Fuji Finepix they are named DSCF0000.jpg etc. - so I've only got 9999 photos to take to find out! I'm currently at 1312, though.

mbonwick

Established Member
My Nikon Coolpix 5200 uses the DSCN prefix then 4 numbers, e.g. DSCN1234. No idea what happens when it reaches 9999. Am currently at around about 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.