Weird Things You See People Do on the Railway

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by whhistle, 11 Apr 2018.

1. Pigeon

Pigeon Member

"On court après le train qui est déjà parti", as a French textbook at school memorably put it.

2. AlastairFraser

AlastairFraser Member

Argh, why is there no like button? You nailed their mindset right on.
    A last point though, if their job is so important, then why are they on the trains and not a helicopter or chauffeur-driven limo? :D :D :D

3. IceAgeComing

IceAgeComing Member

I admit to having done this once before - it was a London-Inverness (I *think*; definately stopped in Stirling) train where we got stuck mid route for a long time and I felt incredibly tight so to loosen off a little in the empty carriage I stretched and did some lunges and stuff. Its incredibly strange but in a long distance trip doing something like that is very healthy; as is going for walks just to get some basic exercise in.

4. 03_179

03_179 Established Member

I used to laugh at the morning London Bridge commuters who would run down the ramp at East Croydon and miss the train ... you'd think it was the last train EVER to go to London Bridge ... then in would pull another one about 3 minutes later and they still moaned they missed the previous one.

5. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

In regular 'slam door' commuter stock days, it was always amusing to see the doors fly open and people leaping out onto the platform, rushing to be first onto the Underground. After they jumped, the train continued past them to its regular stopping point, leaving them way up the platform and overtaken by all those they were trying to beat. Aside from the obvious safety benefit, that's one of the good things about central door locking; it put an end to this ridiculousness and made people calm down a little (only a little!).

6. Socanxdis

Socanxdis Member

I've seen people flag down trains like you do when a bus approaches. Like, for real??

7. 318266

318266 Member

That's what you do at request stops... otherwise the train will pass you.

8. stut

stut Established Member

You don't live near a request stop, by any chance..? ;)

9. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Are you sure it wasn't just a crank indicating their approval of the approaching traction?

10. HaggisBotherer

HaggisBotherer Member

There's a photo of me doing precisely that at Berney Arms, acting on the sign that said if you wanted the train to stop, give the driver a clear indication.

It was that, a long wait or a long walk. I know which I preferred. So yes, like, for real. :rolleyes:

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I've seen plenty of people do it, miles away from a request stop, my Mum used to regularly.

12. kristiang85

kristiang85 Member

In Canada on some of the more remote lines the train will stop pretty much anywhere you want to pick you up / drop you off.

13. Socanxdis

Socanxdis Member

I've seen people do this in London

14. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Jumping off a moving train/bus was fun. While modern day is no doubt much safer, it's a much less fun place than it was.

15. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

In my youthful stupidity I did the opposite at East Croydon...and jumped onto a departing train. It was during one of the Network South East days. Having been abandoned by friends on a Gatwick Express I panicked as we passed through Clapham Jn heading the wrong way. The guard on the train back into London gave me a piece of his mind for my foolishness.